PDA

View Full Version : Composting Tea Leaves?

Ileah7
11-07-2013, 21:19
So I'm a tea drinker who starts and ends every day with a cup of tea, and I do the same when backpacking. I was wondering what the general thought is to scattering or burying loose tea leaves on a thru? I am talking about nothing but the leaves, no paper, staples, string or any other trash!!!!! At home we compost tea leaves into the garden and it works great. I know it wouldn't save much weight, but that would be the main reason for doing it, and also to avoid a wet, smelly trash bag because of the tea.

JAK
11-07-2013, 21:25
Definitely the right thing to do in my opinion. Just do it where it will do the most good, the least harm, and out of site. I call it stealth composting.

HikerMom58
11-07-2013, 21:30
I think it's a great idea... I can't imagine it harming a thing. My daughter drank tea every night on the trail as well. After she used the tea bag, she washed her face with it. I'll have to tell her about your idea to scatter the tea leaves or bury them. It's a great idea! :)

Sailing_Faith
11-07-2013, 21:34
I certainly think it is reasonable. Others may not, I once had a long discussion of LNT on a paddling forum over orange peels..... There was a similar thread here about sunflower seeds... Both of those items were argued to be "non-native" and some felt strongly they should be packed out.

I can not imagine that unless someone saw you drop tea leaves there would be anyone who could ever tell.

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2013, 21:38
Honest I am surprised at the question... As kids we thru apples from the car... its all bio-degradable. Its not going to start a tea bush if you know what I mean.

QHShowoman
11-07-2013, 21:45
Tea leaves are harmless to the environment.

But apple cores are considered litter in terms of LNT. And throwing them from car windows onto the roadside puts birds and other wildlife who come to feed on them at risk of being hit by a vehicle. I never really thought about it like that until I went to a Raptor Trust rehab place and it changed my behavior forever.

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2013, 21:45
I certainly think it is reasonable. Others may not, I once had a long discussion of LNT on a paddling forum over orange peels..... There was a similar thread here about sunflower seeds... Both of those items were argued to be "non-native" and some felt strongly they should be packed out.

I can not imagine that unless someone saw you drop tea leaves there would be anyone who could ever tell.

Yea SF ignore the noise.... cant start an orange tree from peels or seeds... on the AT. Sunflower is NATIVE to the America's and honest look at all the non native plants and insects that have been brought in since... too late. Florida has 20+ new insects each year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species_in_the_United_States

Ileah7
11-07-2013, 21:49
We spend most summers out west... and I wouldn't think of composting anything in a lot of areas out there (think high Zion or Bryce NP) where seeing orange peels or apple cores drive me nuts! So I'm in the habit of over thinking things like that here... :) Thanks for the positive feedback!

Sarcasm the elf
11-07-2013, 22:08
So long as you dump them in Forested areas full of duff and leaf litter and not on fragile ridge lines, then go for it.

Also, please don't dispose of anything trail side or in the fire ring, if you're going to dump tea leaves (or other biodegradable stuff for that matter) do so a good ways into the woods, it will cut down on the potential of creating an eyesore and keep the purists from complaining.:rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
11-07-2013, 22:12
little different out west - I did not consider you were out there. But the sun and microbes will destroy that stuff out there too.

Dogwood
11-07-2013, 22:28
Make sure you have a tea composting permit. :) We are experiencing bigger govt every yr. :)

Just Bill
11-08-2013, 02:06
Worst case-Use the western smear method.
Middle case- dump them in your cat hole with your doo doo.
Best case- don't worry about it.

Enjoy your tea!

Pedaling Fool
11-08-2013, 08:40
So I'm a tea drinker who starts and ends every day with a cup of tea, and I do the same when backpacking. I was wondering what the general thought is to scattering or burying loose tea leaves on a thru? I am talking about nothing but the leaves, no paper, staples, string or any other trash!!!!! At home we compost tea leaves into the garden and it works great. I know it wouldn't save much weight, but that would be the main reason for doing it, and also to avoid a wet, smelly trash bag because of the tea.I've used them coffee bags (teabag style) on the AT, luckily the did not have a staple, but of course they had the string and paper tab. I threw it all in the leaf litter. I also compost at home and I do the same thing; the string and paper (both the tab and the actual bag) are perfectly biodegradable. If you have a wormbin you learn that they absolutly love paper, it's really no different than leaves or wood chips.

And don't worry about apple cores or orange peels. They are devoured and returned to the basic elements just like any "native debris", since basic chemistry is not invasive; same all around the world.

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2013, 09:42
Tea leaves are harmless to the environment.

But apple cores are considered litter in terms of LNT. And throwing them from car windows onto the roadside puts birds and other wildlife who come to feed on them at risk of being hit by a vehicle. I never really thought about it like that until I went to a Raptor Trust rehab place and it changed my behavior forever.

I take your reply seriously - but to be honest isn't that what Johnny Appleseed did from a horse? And just because folks here practice LNT - nobody else does...tons of fast food trash from cars create lots of mice breeding along a highway - running over critters cause roadkill that is an attractive free meal to hawks. Because we eat food around a shelter, we have shelter mice. Preaching to a few to take on LNT isn't going to solve this... I have to freshen my cup of tea.

https://www.google.com/search?q=road+kill+hawk&client=firefox-a&hs=q5S&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_-d8Uu-ANIXF4APo14CIDg&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=731

Dogwood
11-08-2013, 13:36
Witnessed a AT thru-hiker GOING OFF on another thru-hiker because he threw a banana peel into the woods. Do you know how long that banana peel takes to fully decompose?, Would you want to see a banana peel in the woods?, Do you know the damage that can occur by doing this? Do you know bananas aren't native to this area? were her questions to the dumbstruck guy. I was ALMOST by the confrontation when she suddenly turned to me and asked: what do you think?, with a huffy tone of voice. I said, "breathe deeply and do be aware of the blades of grass you're crushing underfoot." And hiked off before she could say anything else.

max patch
11-08-2013, 13:46
i don't have a dog in this fight - the only bananas I take in the woods are already peeled and dehydrated - but apparently the John Muir Trust says DON'T DO IT (capitalized for Dogwoods BENEFIT).

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/24/bananas-litter-hikers-mountains-scotland

atmilkman
11-08-2013, 15:27
Witnessed a AT thru-hiker GOING OFF on another thru-hiker because he threw a banana peel into the woods. Do you know how long that banana peel takes to fully decompose?, Would you want to see a banana peel in the woods?, Do you know the damage that can occur by doing this? Do you know bananas aren't native to this area? were her questions to the dumbstruck guy. I was ALMOST by the confrontation when she suddenly turned to me and asked: what do you think?, with a huffy tone of voice. I said, "breathe deeply and do be aware of the blades of grass you're crushing underfoot." And hiked off before she could say anything else.

I'm glad she didn't see me feeding iguanas lettuce at my cousins on Big Pine Key.

WingedMonkey
11-08-2013, 15:46
I'm glad she didn't see me feeding iguanas lettuce at my cousins on Big Pine Key.

The proper treatment of iguanas and other invasive reptiles and amphibians to Florida (Cuban treefrogs, Cane Toads) is to place a dab of benzocaine ointment along the spine, and then freeze them.

Benzocaine, even generic is expensive. Direct placement in the freezer is cheap.

WingedMonkey
11-08-2013, 15:51
The proper treatment of iguanas and other invasive reptiles and amphibians to Florida (Cuban treefrogs, Cane Toads) is to place a dab of benzocaine ointment along the spine, and then freeze them.

Benzocaine, even generic is expensive. Direct placement in the freezer is cheap.

Oh my, I forgot......the :banana

atmilkman
11-08-2013, 16:09

You ought to see them WM. They're everywhere. Dogwoods post made me think about it. Some lady was giving me a rash of poo-poo cause lettuce was not their ordinary diet. I said lady "the damn things don't even belong here". She just huffed and puffed.

perdidochas
11-08-2013, 16:26

Just googled it, it takes 3-4 weeks for a banana peel to decompose. I don't see what harm it would do, but then again, I'm a former apple core tosser. (Don't toss them any more because I eat the whole apple core and all--disgusts most people).

T.S.Kobzol
11-08-2013, 20:51
Are you drinking green or oolong tea? I drink it several times per day at work or at home. Did you know the used leaves taste good? You can add them to a salad, I just munch on them as the time goes. If I was on a thru and if I had the presence of mind to make tea twice per day I would probably come up with some way to stash them and munch on them throughout the day as I hiked.

Otherwise just toss it away from the trail where no one can see it.

So I'm a tea drinker who starts and ends every day with a cup of tea, and I do the same when backpacking. I was wondering what the general thought is to scattering or burying loose tea leaves on a thru? I am talking about nothing but the leaves, no paper, staples, string or any other trash!!!!! At home we compost tea leaves into the garden and it works great. I know it wouldn't save much weight, but that would be the main reason for doing it, and also to avoid a wet, smelly trash bag because of the tea.

Wise Old Owl
11-08-2013, 21:07
Just drink the Tea... avoid the Kool-Aid. Don't step on any Banana's and avoid the pits. - Woo

atmilkman
11-08-2013, 23:16
Are you drinking green or oolong tea? I drink it several times per day at work or at home. Did you know the used leaves taste good? You can add them to a salad, I just munch on them as the time goes. If I was on a thru and if I had the presence of mind to make tea twice per day I would probably come up with some way to stash them and munch on them throughout the day as I hiked.

Otherwise just toss it away from the trail where no one can see it.

I wonder if you could just put a pinch between your cheek and gum. Kinda like Skoal. I wonder if it would buzz ya.

Odd Man Out
11-09-2013, 13:15
I asked a similar question almost four years ago. A nice discussion ensued. You may find some of the comments enlightening. After 84 posts, I summed up what I learned here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?59222-How-Little-Trace-Do-You-Leave-Behind&p=976581&viewfull=1#post976581

LALTARPITPSTTCBPFTEOFG

Dogwood
11-09-2013, 15:28
Odd Man Out, you have a good looking daughter. :) Seems bright too. :) Must take after her dad.:confused:

Theosus
11-09-2013, 15:44
Tea leaves, basically being crushed leaves, should blend right in with all the other crushed leaves along the trail… I wouldn't think anything of it, as long as you pack out the baggie and the little string thing. I understand some tea companies are getting rid of the little string, staple and paper do-dad, and only have the baggie now you lift out with a spoon.

QHShowoman
11-12-2013, 02:16
I take your reply seriously - but to be honest isn't that what Johnny Appleseed did from a horse? And just because folks here practice LNT - nobody else does...tons of fast food trash from cars create lots of mice breeding along a highway - running over critters cause roadkill that is an attractive free meal to hawks. Because we eat food around a shelter, we have shelter mice. Preaching to a few to take on LNT isn't going to solve this... I have to freshen my cup of tea.

https://www.google.com/search?q=road+kill+hawk&client=firefox-a&hs=q5S&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_-d8Uu-ANIXF4APo14CIDg&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=731

I'd rather pack out my trash and not be part of the problem. Period.
Apple cores, banana peels, empty food packages -- if I packed it in, there's no reason that I can't pack it out.

WingedMonkey
11-12-2013, 10:53
From Georgia to Maine, I brewed a quart size tea bag about every evening. I drank a pint of it with my dinner and a pint of it after I started my day.

I used the spent bag to wipe down the dinner pot (sometimes a breakfast fry pan).

Then I squeezed it out and put it in my trash baggie.

It really is easier to pack out what you pack in than to disassemble the damn thing.

Odd Man Out
11-12-2013, 17:26
Skip the tea bags. Buy loose leaf tea. The leaves sink to the bottom of the cup. Broadcast when done. I prefer tea in the PM and coffee in the AM.

QiWiz
11-12-2013, 17:39

From an LNT perspective, the used damp tea leaves would not be damaging to the environment. Potentially if left on the ground in a clump at your campsite they would be a "smellable" that might cause an animal to come by to check out what is making that aroma. So a purist would probably either pack them out or scatter them well away from any established camping area. Being sort of a purist myself, that's what I do.

Justwalking
11-12-2013, 18:39
I can never decide if I should feed the feral cats or trap them.