PDA

View Full Version : Overnight parking in BRParkway lot for Humpback rocks

ginterparkdj
11-08-2013, 00:13
Taking my 10 year old for his first overnight hike this weekend at humpback rocks. Just a short out and back to improve chances for success with him. Are you allowed to park overnight in the lots on the Blue Ridge Parkway? i can't seem to find a straight answer on the interwebs. Thx!

aficion
11-08-2013, 00:19
Taking my 10 year old for his first overnight hike this weekend at humpback rocks. Just a short out and back to improve chances for success with him. Are you allowed to park overnight in the lots on the Blue Ridge Parkway? i can't seem to find a straight answer on the interwebs. Thx!

Yes. Parking overnight is fine as long as you are camping in an area where camping is allowed. It is a very steep trail and you must carry your water. Not sure about good campsites. Maybe someone else can help with that information.

ginterparkdj
11-08-2013, 00:26
Thanks! He is pretty excited and so am I. Weather should be perfect. We did the blue blaze to AT loop a few weeks ago as a day hike and he loved it. I saw a few "established" campsites about 1/2 way on the AT where we are hoping to camp.

aficion
11-08-2013, 00:39
Thanks! He is pretty excited and so am I. Weather should be perfect. We did the blue blaze to AT loop a few weeks ago as a day hike and he loved it. I saw a few "established" campsites about 1/2 way on the AT where we are hoping to camp.

Cool...know it will be a memorable trip.

johnnybgood
11-08-2013, 01:58
Humpback Mtn is a super overnight hike to introduce your 10 yr. old to backpacking. Humpback parking area is probably a good location to leave a car overnight.
Make it to the summit in time to catch a beautiful sunset . With forecasted clear conditions the stargazing will be exceptional.

There are a few campsites on either side of Humpback, just off trail , to pitch a tent . Any flat spot will work as long as you are not within sight of the Blue Ridge Pkwy .

Have fun !