PDA

View Full Version : Maine: Heavy trucking in K.I. area

boarstone
08-21-2005, 17:56
For those of you who are visiting the K.I. (Katadin Iron Works) area: there is heavy trucking coming out of the Houston Pond/Roundtop Mt road. Maine Atlas Pg. 42, it's the road straight off the gate as you cross the bridge. Inquire at time of check-in. A CB is recommended if you dare to venture on here. It is only wide enough for one truck at a time, they have the right-of-way and enforce it! So be on the alert coming into the K.I. road off Rt.11 also. All other roads to the more popular hiking areas are not being used by logging at this time. Will update if anything changes.

Tramper Al
08-21-2005, 19:52
For those of you who are visiting the K.I. (Katadin Iron Works) area: there is heavy trucking coming out of the Houston Pond/Roundtop Mt road. Maine Atlas Pg. 42, it's the road straight off the gate as you cross the bridge. Inquire at time of check-in. A CB is recommended if you dare to venture on here. It is only wide enough for one truck at a time, they have the right-of-way and enforce it! So be on the alert coming into the K.I. road off Rt.11 also. All other roads to the more popular hiking areas are not being used by logging at this time. Will update if anything changes.

Boarstone,
Thanks for that info. Can I assume that nothing of this magnitude is occuring 6 inches to the right over on the Jo-Mary Road off Rt 11 in to the AT? I'm heading in there in about a week, and strange as it may seem, I do not have a CB radio in my 'rig'.
Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Jack Tarlin
08-22-2005, 12:26
This is very useful information for those who might be heading up that way.

Exchanging info like this is EXACTLY what the Whiteblaze forums are all about; thanx for sending this along.

jamarshall
08-22-2005, 21:53
Any info on the Golden Road? Not hiking this trip, but we're planning to take a truck camper to explore the area between Katahdin and Moosehead Lake.

TJ aka Teej
08-22-2005, 23:05
Get the DeLorme Gazetteer for Maine. The Golden Road is very busy with logging trucks, but is wide and well maintained. Stay to the right, watch for moose, and don't park on the road. The Greenville Road, between Kokadjo and the Golden Road, is less well maintained and narrow at times - oncoming logging trucks can be an adventure. There are lots of wheel busters and muffler rippers, go slow and watch the road surface. Do *not* follow other cars so closely you're in the dust cloud, you need to see clearly, so just slow down and back off. If you're thinking about taking the camper into Baxter, remember there are vehicle size limits. If you're thinking about the KI or Jo-Mary Roads, chat up the Gate House folks and buy their map. Have fun!

jamarshall
08-23-2005, 09:26
Yeah, I checked - the truck camper is too tall for Baxter. But it looks like there are plenty of other places to camp along the river. I have Delorme Gazetteers for most of the east coast - great maps, they just don't tell you much about traffic conditions. Thanks for the info.

boarstone
08-23-2005, 15:34
Boarstone,
Thanks for that info. Can I assume that nothing of this magnitude is occuring 6 inches to the right over on the Jo-Mary Road off Rt 11 in to the AT? I'm heading in there in about a week, and strange as it may seem, I do not have a CB radio in my 'rig'.
Thanks for anything you can tell me.
There IS heavy trucking on the road into Jo-Mary also. They are coming out of Little Jo-mary Pond/B Pond road. Also trucking coming out of Nakmakanta which is over the road into the AT trail head at Cooper Broo, called the Jo-Mary road. Johnston Pond road is so far---quiet.

boarstone
08-24-2005, 13:25
This is very useful information for those who might be heading up that way.

Exchanging info like this is EXACTLY what the Whiteblaze forums are all about; thanx for sending this along.
Jack: Your most welcome! I try to keep hikers/users posted to anything that may help or hinder their experience up here in my neck of the woods. I am only 8 mi from the turnoff to K.I. and 15 to Jo-Mary. I visit these areas all summer and fall fishing, camping and hunting so I have a first hand knowledge of the logging traffic, road conditions etc. I resupply the "100 mile wilderness" area for hikers that require it. They send me their supply and I take it in for them at prearranged points. I hike myself when I can. Anything I can do to help you folks enjoy yourselves while in this area is the basis of my efforts. Any questions or concerns you can reach me here through these forums.