PDA

View Full Version : my experiment with hammocks

Hill Ape
11-09-2013, 08:38

so i briefly went over to the dark side. here's my take on hammocks. great for taking a nap, damn sure more comfy than the ground, but far to much hassle. two bags just does not compute with me.

i did make a cool frame though, wanted to show it off to you lot. all bamboo, even the ridge pole, cut from neighbors, bearfeeder (i've named her), property. i saw the design over on that much more civil forum.

not like i'm ever gonna strap these poles to my pack, but it was fun to make. gets alot of strange questions from folk

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2013, 10:28
H.A. what two bags? 1 bag and a under-quilt? Done right the under quilt only comes out on chilly nights for your back. A micro lite Thermarest pad can be used on the bottom to stop wind and cooling. None of it weights much.

Hill Ape
11-09-2013, 10:33
not the weight, i'm no gram weenie. just all the hassle.

Gonecampn
11-09-2013, 10:44
I did a couple nighter in the Sipsey wilderness. As an after thought, I threw my $10 cheapo ultra-light hammock in the bag, just so that I wouldn't have to sit on the ground around camp. Now I won't travel with out it. I hang it with some paracord that I already carry in my pack. It is definitely worth the extra oz's to me. I've never tried to sleep in a hammock over night though. We carry an Big Agnes Copper Spur for sleeping.

johnnybgood
11-09-2013, 10:58
Like anything tried new, a learning curve does apply.
That said, a hammock can be strung up using tree straps and whoopie in a minute, it takes practice .

For me it's my rain tarp, being a separate piece of gear on it's own takes more time and attention to ensure proper tautness.

I use no under quilt even for late fall , using only a pro lite thermarest pad , 3.2 rating as insulation.
Where I want to be someday regarding hammocks is where a set up is quicker than my tent.

daddytwosticks
11-09-2013, 17:09
Have to agree w/Hill Ape. Tried a top of the line Warbonnet w/all the bells and whistles, underquilts, etc. Just to fussy plus I'm a very active sleeper and was constantly squirming. I still envy the hangers who can set their equipment up and sleep anyplace with two trees. I still carry a lightweight hammok on some hikes. It makes a great chair and comfortable place for very short naps. :)

1azarus
11-09-2013, 22:34
What you all need is a professional hammock valet who will set up and break down your hammock while you become addicted. Then you all will be willing to deal with the learning curve. I am available... Takes about a week to get hooked.

max patch
11-09-2013, 22:36
Where I want to be someday regarding hammocks is where a set up is quicker than my tent.

If you have the right tent then that is impossible.

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2013, 22:41
I shadow rich people for $100 a night and set up and take down... feel free to PM... :cool:

Willing to travel to third world countries. Except Arctic and Antarctica - cold sucks the life out of owls. Yea I know, I thought about it... not a snowy... stop laughing... really.... now!... you are still laughing.. oh that is so rude... stop! no stop... Oh never-mind.

aficion
11-09-2013, 22:55
Many, maybe 8, years ago, I did a five day 125 mile section with only my hennessy. Springtime. Four nights slept like a baby. The other night I was cold and thus awake half the night. It was nice to be able to hike til dark and hang it wherever, but when I started looking at the expense and weight of making it truly 3 season capable, I went back to the ground. I can sleep anywhere after 25 miles as long as I'm warm. It did teach me to really appreciate a tarp more than ever. I now carry a free standing 2 lb tent including stakes and poles. I also carry a big sil tarp that comes in well under a lb. The hammock stays on the shelf except for short summer trips. Too much trouble to get "just right" and too cold without carrying more than I like to. Need the space for food.

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2013, 23:04
I suspect that was some time ago... since then Apes have evolved and continue to improve... the hammock.. want a second try?

Hill Ape
11-10-2013, 08:53
i do marlinspike as a hobby, tie really complex turks heads and i'm most entertained by single rope decorative knot work. i can handle hanging a hammock

T.S.Kobzol
11-10-2013, 09:15
Yeah. I was a ground hero until I hiked 7 nights on the Long Trail and sampled some fine through the night downpours in a place that is filled with trees and is constantly on a slope with very few flat spots. And guess where the water congregates as it runs down the mountain? ;-) The only tents that could deal with this are way heavier than I want to carry. A functional hammock shelter system needs to be in my quiver, just as a freestanding tent or tarp or a floorless tent for the winter ski touring trips on the frozen plains...

Sent from my vivid imagination and delusions of grandeur

ChuckT
11-10-2013, 09:19
Hassle? Yes.
Weight? A wash ('depending).
Cold? Oh yeah! Here in E Central Fla it isn't supposed to be cold! So what was that then? Thought I was freezing my butt.
Learning curve? That's a 4sure. Think about setting up in the rain, on a solo. Who you gonna call?
(Of course I keep thinking that when we stop learning, we start dieing.)

I've gone over to hanging because I'm coming back to this after a 20+ year hiatus and 60+ year-old back! Will I make it work? I'll let you know in next spring.

Cvt

Tuckahoe
11-10-2013, 10:01
In the end one can only go with what makes them happy, whether it's based on comfort, fiddle factor or warmth. Just look at how many shelter and bedding options there are for hiking and camping.

For my comfort I have made the switch to the hammock, and I am not looking back at a tent. The fiddle factor is worth it, although each and every time the set up gets easier and quicker. I honestly find that the fiddling with the hammock set up to be no more than it was with my last two tents.

As for "two bags" I dont think of it in that manner, I just think of the underquilt the same as any sleeping pad. Both are there to provide insulation and both are in the same weight range. They work for what they are intended for.

In the end regardless we only have to concerned with our own comfort and happiness and that is all that matters.

Drybones
11-10-2013, 10:10
I'm in the process of trying hammocks, wanted to have one for the last outing but didn't have enough time to make everything. I've made one single layer hammock for warm weather use and have material for a two layer hammock I can use a pad with for cold weather, have the tarp started but not complete, don't know if I'll convert or not but I'll have the option. I've finally come to justify all this gear I have...hey, some people collect coins, some cars, etc....I'll be a gear collector.

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2013, 11:12
Its just a couple of knots less ten pegs and a little practice.... I don't see the value of a double layer I toss and turn and manage to stay on the pad. Once you see the guide on how to set up and measure the trees there isn't a fiddle factor. Hey Hill Ape I just saw the beer tin those photo's thats the way to do it!

1. stand between two trees and extend hiking poles...Or walk it, its about 12-16 feet
2. see the diagram https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16945

Just Bill
11-11-2013, 11:34
Hill Ape- Nice frame, that was good of you to include the beer bottles in the first pic so I could get right sense of scale!
I'm right with you buddy- my recent hammock experiment was similar- nice time, comfy enough- but not so earthshaking that it's worth the time (and weight for me). That said- four yards of fabric with a 50% off coupon ($15) some spare Paracord and an hour at the sewing machine and I own a hammock. Not bad.

Spent about 14 nights or so in it- worth a try and an easy/cheap experiment with a few tips-
Neo-air (even deflated) was a bust. Regular thermarest with a few puffs in it worked fine for insulation, closed cell would work fine too.
I spent a few nights into the 30's, definitely time for an UQ? No I just switched to my warmer bag- seemed to work about like this- add 20 degrees to the temp of the bag you would normally use and it will do the job without buying special gear.
Yes- real cords would be better- but the Paracord is acceptable for an experiment- especially if you use a ridgeline. Just hang it a bit higher to account for the stretch.
Since I enjoy passing out in my Lazy-boy often enough- I thought I would feel the same way about the hammock- turned out not really. I don't know why not though.

As the very good looking Gonecampin pointed out above- for 8 ounces or less- this is a relatively light luxury item to carry for naps, sitting, lounging, etc. Playing on her idea but not having tried it; I bet you could tie/rig your hammock up to use your bear bag line without cutting it. I'm thinking leave 10' of line on one side, tie a loop for ridgeline side 1, then another loop 100" later for ridgeline connection two and just leave the rest of your 50' line alone. Making your bear bag line double as a hammock line would help make it worth it. If you used Sil-Nylon (bad form if sleeping, but fine for lounging) then your hammock could be used as a tarp combo too with some rigging. You already have the bear bag line, maybe even the tarp? Either way you could create a light tarp/hammock combo for about 8 ounces as a super luxury item that leaves you dry at wet breaks and comfy at dry breaks.

Weight- Hammock can never win. A tarp is needed, go to ground and the tarp is all that's needed. That said- weight doesn't seem to be the draw- and the hangers seem to be backing off the lightweight claims. The weight difference is shrinking- and the fudge factor is solved with experience.

Although if Hill Ape tried to climb in and make me his trail girlfriend the hammock would collapse and aide my escape- so something to consider. Worst case- I now have a sweet hammock for car camping. So experiment well worth it!

Great time of year to get out and practice you debris bed too!-

aficion
11-11-2013, 11:58
Hill Ape- Nice frame, that was good of you to include the beer bottles in the first pic so I could get right sense of scale!
I'm right with you buddy- my recent hammock experiment was similar- nice time, comfy enough- but not so earthshaking that it's worth the time (and weight for me). That said- four yards of fabric with a 50% off coupon ($15) some spare Paracord and an hour at the sewing machine and I own a hammock. Not bad.

Spent about 14 nights or so in it- worth a try and an easy/cheap experiment with a few tips-
Neo-air (even deflated) was a bust. Regular thermarest with a few puffs in it worked fine for insulation, closed cell would work fine too.
I spent a few nights into the 30's, definitely time for an UQ? No I just switched to my warmer bag- seemed to work about like this- add 20 degrees to the temp of the bag you would normally use and it will do the job without buying special gear.
Yes- real cords would be better- but the Paracord is acceptable for an experiment- especially if you use a ridgeline. Just hang it a bit higher to account for the stretch.
Since I enjoy passing out in my Lazy-boy often enough- I thought I would feel the same way about the hammock- turned out not really. I don't know why not though.

As the very good looking Gonecampin pointed out above- for 8 ounces or less- this is a relatively light luxury item to carry for naps, sitting, lounging, etc. Playing on her idea but not having tried it; I bet you could tie/rig your hammock up to use your bear bag line without cutting it. I'm thinking leave 10' of line on one side, tie a loop for ridgeline side 1, then another loop 100" later for ridgeline connection two and just leave the rest of your 50' line alone. Making your bear bag line double as a hammock line would help make it worth it. If you used Sil-Nylon (bad form if sleeping, but fine for lounging) then your hammock could be used as a tarp combo too with some rigging. You already have the bear bag line, maybe even the tarp? Either way you could create a light tarp/hammock combo for about 8 ounces as a super luxury item that leaves you dry at wet breaks and comfy at dry breaks.

Weight- Hammock can never win. A tarp is needed, go to ground and the tarp is all that's needed. That said- weight doesn't seem to be the draw- and the hangers seem to be backing off the lightweight claims. The weight difference is shrinking- and the fudge factor is solved with experience.

Although if Hill Ape tried to climb in and make me his trail girlfriend the hammock would collapse and aide my escape- so something to consider. Worst case- I now have a sweet hammock for car camping. So experiment well worth it!

Great time of year to get out and practice you debris bed too!-

Debris beds are for sissies. A real outdoorsman just kicks a bear out of its den and sleeps there.

Just Bill
11-11-2013, 12:03
Debris beds are for sissies. A real outdoorsman just kicks a bear out of its den and sleeps there.
You're doing it all wrong! A real outdoorsman sleeps with the bear to take advantage of it's warmth. A depraved (not deprived) outdoorsman has sex with the bear first.

aficion
11-11-2013, 12:24
You're doing it all wrong! A real outdoorsman sleeps with the bear to take advantage of it's warmth. A depraved (not deprived) outdoorsman has sex with the bear first.

Is that before or after he sews his mittens and mixes his cocktail?

Just Bill
11-12-2013, 00:07
Is that before or after he sews his mittens and mixes his cocktail?

Mix the cocktails first, offer one to the bear. Ideally make friends. If all goes well enjoy the evening. If not...sew new mittens out of the bear.

perdidochas
11-12-2013, 12:26

so i briefly went over to the dark side. here's my take on hammocks. great for taking a nap, damn sure more comfy than the ground, but far to much hassle. two bags just does not compute with me.

i did make a cool frame though, wanted to show it off to you lot. all bamboo, even the ridge pole, cut from neighbors, bearfeeder (i've named her), property. i saw the design over on that much more civil forum.

not like i'm ever gonna strap these poles to my pack, but it was fun to make. gets alot of strange questions from folk

I'm sure the stand is more hassle than two trees. That said, it does take a half dozen times setting up hammock and tarp to feel comfortable with it. I mainly hammock with my sons' Boy Scout troop, and I've gotten to where I can set my hammock and tarp up about as fast as a troop of mixed age (from new scouts to almost Eagles) Boy Scouts can set up tents. I can take down much faster than they can. I use a sleeping pad (24" Walmart blue foam) and sleeping bag (30 degree mummy). Can use the same combo on the ground. I don't do it for weight savings, but for comfort (my 48 yr old back much prefers the hammock to the ground). Had to sleep on the ground last campout, and it wasn't nearly as good sleeping as I'm used to.

lilricky
11-14-2013, 08:46
Were you dealing with straps or ropes? I could understand it you were trying to adjust your hammock by tying and re-tying ropes over and over, trying to get it right. But with whoopies and tree straps, it should have been a 45 second process....

scope
12-11-2013, 11:13
Shouldn't this be in another forum? This should be in either general or tent camping instead of a forum about how to hammock camp, which by the way is an extremely viable, and in many ways, preferable way to camp. I just don't see the point of coming "here" to say that hammocks are good for naps and that's it. If you're looking for advice on how to make it more than just a nap/lounge, etc., then there's plenty of that to go around, but I don't get the impression that's what you're looking for - thus, the reason I say it doesn't belong here.

Son Driven
12-11-2013, 11:44
Hammock-ed my entire 2013 through hike. Took me about 20 minutes to set up, and 15 minutes to take down. Using the Hammock opened up a lot of creative camp sites. The Hammock also insulates you from things that creep upon the ground. I used a sill nylon tarp as a rain fly, and on occasion when it was really cold, I used the tarp as a tent. Always kept tarp & para chord where I could get to it quickly. More then once I whipped out the tarp strung it up, and my gear & I stayed dry as a passing thunder shower passed through. The hammock allowed me to hike with the light of day, no need to settle for a tent site or shelter, location while there was still day light. Late in the day I would load up on water, and then as the sun set I would simply find a couple of trees to string my hammock between.

dla
12-11-2013, 15:59

Funny, but I'm pretty sure your views will change as you age. For some reason the ground gets harder as we get older :)

scope
12-11-2013, 16:01
Funny, but I'm pretty sure your views will change as you age. For some reason the ground gets harder as we get older :)

Lordy, I know that's right!!

Wise Old Owl
12-11-2013, 21:28

Who buys dinner first and who lights the smokes after?

Does she continue to growl thru the night?

Hill Ape I am sure you will figure it out ,,,when in doubt there's Hammock Forums...

msupple
12-12-2013, 00:00
Hassle? Yes.
Weight? A wash ('depending).
Cold? Oh yeah! Here in E Central Fla it isn't supposed to be cold! So what was that then? Thought I was freezing my butt.
Learning curve? That's a 4sure. Think about setting up in the rain, on a solo. Who you gonna call?
(Of course I keep thinking that when we stop learning, we start dieing.)

I've gone over to hanging because I'm coming back to this after a 20+ year hiatus and 60+ year-old back! Will I make it work? I'll let you know in next spring.

Cvt

Setting up in the rain? Well...actually, setting up and taking down in the rain is one of the advantages of hammocking. When it's raining you simply take out your tarp first and set it up. Then under the protection of the tarp you set up your hammock. If it's really pouring you can quickly remove the straps from the hammock, attach them to the tree and hook them back to the hammock under the tarp. Using this simple process will keep your hammock high and dry. Not so much with most tents. Who you gonna call? To take the hammock down in a rain you simply reverse the process and leave the wet tarp on the outside of the pack. I did this many times during my AT hike.

CT in the Hat

ChuckT
12-12-2013, 06:12
Yup, worked that out. "How? Running-bare knows how. Need um practice!"
Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Theosus
12-14-2013, 23:06
Setting up in the rain? Well...actually, setting up and taking down in the rain is one of the advantages of hammocking.

Amen! Ive done the rain thing a couple of times. my tarp is set up in its little sack to deploy in the rain. Clip one line around the tree to itself, run the other end around the tree and tie off a prussic, and pull the bag off. I can have the tarp rigged pretty quickly, and set up under it. It was a wet year for our area, and two times I went with others, all the ground bounders but one got wet some how. My friend with the tarp tent stayed dry, and me in the trees. After my first trip with the ENO, I've lean red the marlin spike hitch and made longer straps, which will speed me up even more. I don't get how some people have troubles with insulation. Set it up properly at home, then don't screw around with the rigging, just clip the UQ to the hammock and be done with it.

rock_on
01-03-2014, 19:54
I absolutely love my hammock. I got it on ebay and it was an old Scottish navy hammock (but never used). It takes me barely any time at all to set up-- tie two knots around two properly spaced trees, attach the carabiners, throw tarp over and stake them into the ground... done. It did take a lot of experimenting to get the equipment right, but since my hammock gets to be 2/3 the size and weight of my tent I felt okay with adding in my panty liner. It's a sleeping pad with wings to keep everything in place. The thing is awesome. I really do love it. The wind gets right up under you and it can be cold which is why you need the sleeping pad to stay in place.

I grew up on sleeping in notoriously rocky campsites and always rolled off of my sleeping pads, and now having a shoulder injury it's a lot more comfortable.

The one thing that I have totally avoided thinking about is what to do if there is a thunder storm. Pray is my only idea.