PDA

View Full Version : Camp Drink

pawlinghiker
11-09-2013, 20:29
Back in college I did some winter camping, the guys I went with made a powdered hot drink. I dont remember much besides it consisted of ice tea mix and tang orange mix. I know there were other spices in there but cant remember.

Does any one recall this mix ?

Might have been called camp drink ?

I would love to make this again but need the ingredients...

Any takers ?

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2013, 20:41
The question takes most people looking this up to Russian Page that has malicious software.

cdmdev.com/jqkhfa/qfcy.ptp?bphg=instant-tang-recipe <<< This link will not work I changed it.

Here is what I found.

RUSSIAN TEA

1/2 c Instant Tea (not Lemon)
2 c Orange Tang
2 Sugar
2 pkts Wyler's Lemonade Mix (3oz each)
2 t Cinnamon
1 t Ground Cloves

Semodex
11-09-2013, 20:51
Wow! This brings me back to 1985!

pawlinghiker
11-09-2013, 21:08
the year was 1989 for me !!

Its been a while for me too, i remember it was high energy stuff back then ...

Any other good mixes kickin around ?

pawlinghiker
11-09-2013, 21:09
is tang even still available ? haven't thought of it since back then ...

Another Kevin
11-09-2013, 22:06
Any other good mixes kickin around ?

Since I usually bring coffee makings, one winner among my buddies is - make instant hot chocolate using coffee instead of hot water. The coffee can be fairly weak because the chocolate carries it - it's like adding a small shot of strong coffee to a cup of cocoa. If I know I'm going to be doing this and want it to be really festive, bring along a marshmallow and a peppermint stick per person, float a marshmallow in each helping and stir with a peppermint stick - mint mocha!

Some of these fancy things require planning - I wouldn't normally have marshmallows or peppermint sticks on hand. But if I know how many people are coming, I usually plan to bring a morale booster or two.

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2013, 22:12
is tang even still available ? haven't thought of it since back then ...

Yes it is and very cheap...

Sheriff Cougar
11-09-2013, 23:21
Sounds like the Christmas drink called Wassail.

aficion
11-09-2013, 23:28
1970 for me and russian tea. Plain hot Tang or Jello are both very cheap body warmers too. Add a little John Daniels and yer cookin.:banana Hoo..wah!

Tuckahoe
11-09-2013, 23:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUKGfj3e1Rc&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

pawlinghiker
11-10-2013, 00:30
thanks for the video, I recall my friends putting orange rind in there too...

Will try to find tang this week..

Old Hiker
11-10-2013, 00:33
thanks for the video, I recall my friends putting orange rind in there too...

Will try to find tang this week..

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tang%20breakfast%20drink&sprefix=tang+brea%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atang%20breakfast%20drink

Monkeywrench
11-10-2013, 07:42
Hot Tang and bourbon.

ChuckT
11-10-2013, 08:55
Thay's got my vote!

Cvt

Drybones
11-10-2013, 10:16
My favorite hot camp drink is spiced apple cider mix combined with hot water and boubon.

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2013, 11:15
Sounds like the Christmas drink called Wassail.

Far more complicated - here is Alton Brown's

Ingredients

6 small Fuji apples, cored
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
72 ounces ale
750 ml Madeira
10 whole cloves
10 whole allspice berries
1 cinnamon stick, 2-inches long
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 large eggs, separated

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Put the apples into an 8 by 8-inch glass baking dish. Spoon the brown sugar into the center of each apple, dividing the sugar evenly among them. Pour the water into the bottom of the dish and bake until tender, about 45 minutes.

Pour the ale and Madeira into a large slow cooker. Put the cloves, allspice, and cinnamon into a small muslin bag or cheesecloth, tied with kitchen twine, and add to the slow cooker along with the ginger and nutmeg. Set the slow cooker to medium heat and bring the mixture to at least 120 degrees F. Do not boil.

Add the egg whites to a medium bowl and using a hand mixer, beat until stiff peaks form. Put the egg yolks into a separate bowl and beat until lightened in color and frothy, approximately 2 minutes. Add the egg whites to the yolks and using the hand mixer, beat, just until combined. Slowly add 4 to 6 ounces of the alcohol mixture from the slow cooker to the egg mixture, beating with the hand mixer on low speed. Return this mixture to the slow cooker and whisk to combine.

Add the apples and the liquid from the baking dish to the wassail and stir to combine. Ladle into cups and serve.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/wassail-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

FarmerChef
11-10-2013, 12:08
1970 for me and russian tea. Plain hot Tang or Jello are both very cheap body warmers too. Add a little John Daniels and yer cookin.:banana Hoo..wah!

Yeah. I did a 2-week in college where we had to boil our water every day over campfires in the backcountry. All kinds of ash and chunks got in it. Kool Aid covered it all up nicely. Course the sugar made it nice and heavy. ;)

Another Kevin
11-11-2013, 09:49
I can't help but think of Datto's hilarious PCT journal and the umbrella drinks north of Apache Spring (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=63445).

Opa
11-11-2013, 09:58
Love the Mio bottles. Lots of flavor, no weight, no sugar mess afterwards.

Just Bill
11-11-2013, 11:56
Russian Tea- great hot or cold- Gorp, Glop, and Glue stew was the source of the recipie for us in scouts- too sweet for my more adult taste buds these days but we used to drink it by the gallon back then.
Two adult favorites.

Toe warmer- I cup hot chamomile tea, 1 pat of butter, one shot of whiskey.

Inn at the Long Trail Hot Toddy- 1/4 lemon- juice and rind, three cloves, dash of cinnamon, spoon of sugar, one cup hot water, one shot whiskey. (I eyeballed Owen making it last time I was there, but that is very close)

I think I will try to work up a trail version myself- thinking a few slices of dehydrated lemon and orange, brown sugar, cloves and/or allspice (Chinese five spice may be a good choice too), little dried hibiscus, and whiskey to taste.

Kerosene
11-11-2013, 15:09
Early 70's recipe for me. I recall storing it in a plastic screwtop and forgetting about it in my gear when I went to college. I pulled it out 3 years later as I prepped for a Long Trail thru-hike and a bit of water had crusted shut the lid!

Farr Away
11-15-2013, 09:17

I think I will try to work up a trail version myself- thinking a few slices of dehydrated lemon and orange, brown sugar, cloves and/or allspice (Chinese five spice may be a good choice too), little dried hibiscus, and whiskey to taste.

If you want to simplify a bit, you might try some True Lemon and/or True Orange packets in place of the dehydrated fruit.

--

I'm not all that fond of Tang, so here's my version of Russian Tea Mix:

2 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 c unsweetened instant tea
2 pkts unsweetened orange koolaid
1 pkt unsweetened lemonade mix
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves, opt
1/2 teaspoon allspice, opt

Mix well and store in an airtight container.
Use 1 to 2 spoonfuls in a cup of hot water. Also good iced.

RED-DOG
11-15-2013, 11:55
At night i always put a little bite of VODKA in my drink mixes, a little bit of VODKA goes a long way.

max patch
11-15-2013, 12:28
Knob Creek and I don't screw it up by adding anything to it.

bigcranky
11-15-2013, 17:35
Since I usually bring coffee makings, one winner among my buddies is - make instant hot chocolate using coffee instead of hot water. The coffee can be fairly weak because the chocolate carries it -

I add a couple of Via packets to my hot chocolate on winter mornings. Dang that's good.

jimmyjam
11-15-2013, 19:07
My favorite hot camp drink is spiced apple cider mix combined with hot water and boubon.
Now that sounds good. Even better without the water. Heck better yet without the apple cider or the water. :)

Train Wreck
11-15-2013, 19:17
"Twisted Miss" Recipe:
1 cup Swiss Miss instant chocolate
1 airline bottle of Captain Morgan spiced rum

That's it. Enjoy.

aficion
11-15-2013, 20:41
"Twisted Miss" Recipe:
1 cup Swiss Miss instant chocolate
1 airline bottle of Captain Morgan spiced rum

That's it. Enjoy.

There once was a quite twisted missy
Rum and chocolate made her all kissy
She ran into Joe
who soon called her a hoe
Which made this tight missy all pithy

Train Wreck
11-15-2013, 21:13
I don't share a hot toddy
With just anybody
Especially a shmoe
Named Charlie or Joe :D

aficion
11-15-2013, 21:26
I don't share a hot toddy
With just anybody
Especially a shmoe
Named Charlie or Joe :D

Fine kettle of fish
Me and Joe, in the same dish
fame sho don't come cheap.;)

Train Wreck
11-15-2013, 22:56
Fine kettle of fish
Me and Joe, in the same dish
fame sho don't come cheap.;)

Hiking buddies you and he
Oh what a strange alliance!
Jiminy Cricket you shall be
You'll nag him to compliance!
"Respect the trail!" your constant plea.
You'll reprimand defiance
And keep graffiti off each tree.
It isn't rocket science ;)

aficion
11-15-2013, 23:06
Hiking buddies you and he
Oh what a strange alliance!
Jiminy Cricket you shall be
You'll nag him to compliance!
"Respect the trail!" your constant plea.
You'll reprimand defiance
And keep graffiti off each tree.
It isn't rocket science ;)

Believe to my soul
A long hike can make you whole
Triple yo-yo...no.

Back on the topic
Not becoming myopic
Think I need a drink.