PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Six Moon Designs Europa 05?

Lucinda
08-22-2005, 08:07
I'm thinking of buying the Europa 05, but haven't seen any reviews on WB for it. I've seen lots on the old Europa 2, but not the new Europa 05.

Is it roomy enough for two, not-too-tall adults and gear? Any condensation or pitching issues? How is it winter or colder weather? I'd be using it in the Southern Appalachians most of the time and on the AT (section hiking). Any other cautions?

I'd just like to hear others' impressions. It's a steep buy at $290, but it's lightweight and looks like a great little set up.

Thanks,
Lucinda

Jaybird
08-22-2005, 08:50
I'm thinking of buying the Europa 05, but haven't seen any reviews on WB for it. I've seen lots on the old Europa 2, but not the new Europa 05......etc.....
I'd just like to hear others' impressions. It's a steep buy at $290, but it's lightweight and looks like a great little set up.Thanks, Lucinda

here's TWO rewiews:

REVIEW #1 (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/reviews/europa.html)

Review #2 (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Six%20Moon%20Designs%20Europa%20and%20Europa%20II/Owner%20Review%20by%20Marge%20Prothman/)

Lucinda
08-22-2005, 11:45
here's TWO rewiews:

REVIEW #1 (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/reviews/europa.html)

Review #2 (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Six%20Moon%20Designs%20Europa%20and%20Europa%20II/Owner%20Review%20by%20Marge%20Prothman/)
Thanks, I've seen those, but they're not for the 05 model. I was hoping to find reviews on the new model.

-Lucinda

tlbj6142
08-22-2005, 13:31
Thanks, I've seen those, but they're not for the 05 model. I was hoping to find reviews on the new model.Looks like Ron added Lunar Solo "technology" into the Europa (2-person) line. Until Jerry's folks get a chance to post reviews of the new model, read the reviews of the Lunar Solo.

ABR
09-01-2005, 13:31
I just got one in the mail and will be taking it out into the field in a couple of weeks. I'll report back here with my experiences.

A-Train
09-01-2005, 13:40
I know you wanna hear about the new one, but if it's any consulation, I really like the one I have (last yrs model). It's a bit short for me at 6'1, but i couldn't beat the weight, or the price (150$ on closeout). I used it all summer, and it kept me dry in rainstorms and condensation is usually pretty good, keeping the fly up. The mosquito netting works very well. He makes pretty good stuff

Twigs
09-06-2005, 20:06
I've like my 05 very well. I bought it for my wife and I, but she has since decided she likes scrapbooking better. So its back to the tarp for me. But the 05 is a great tent. It had plenty of room for me (5'11") and my wife (alot shorter) plus our packs. The vestibule is great for cooking and dirty shoe storage, but getting both packs plus shoes was a sqeeze- also very hard to get out without tripping over everything. It has good headroom and we never had problems with condensation despite some very humid nights this summer. If you use hiking poles, you can leave one of the tent poles at home. Set up is also very quick and easy, and it packs down very small. Hope all this helps.

ABR
09-20-2005, 13:04
Well I'm back from 4 drizzly nights out in New Hampshire with my new 05, and have no major complaints. Pretty fast pitch, more stable / less flappy in wind than I expected, even without pitching in the advised orientation (sometimes ground slope dictates otherwise) or using extra stakeouts. Thanks to the mesh sides I stayed dry, though you do need to wipe the ceiling with a packtowel as suggested. Ventilation was good, but on a rainy night there is too much humidity around for that to take care of everything. Headroom was lacking for me (6'2") except in the very front foot or so of the tent, since it drops off fairly quickly to the height of the rear hoop, but it generally worked, and the length was more than sufficient. There are a couple of minor quirks with the design and manufacturing that may get worked out in future production runs, but nothing that would warrant holding off on a purchase for.

You do need to seal seams and stripe the floor as noted for the earlier Europas -- be prepared for a laborious process there.

Lucinda
09-21-2005, 17:44
There are a couple of minor quirks with the design and manufacturing that may get worked out in future production runs, but nothing that would warrant holding off on a purchase for.

You do need to seal seams and stripe the floor as noted for the earlier Europas -- be prepared for a laborious process there.
I'm waiting for my Europa, as we speak. What were the minor issues you encountered?

ABR
09-24-2005, 14:50
Maybe it was the way I was pitching it, but the mesh walls on the sides seemed too tall -- they had a tendency to droop down to the floor. Also, the "bathtub floor" is actually made up of two pieces of fabric, one on the bottom and one between that and the mesh. I couldn't see any reason for this extra seam. These issues don't affect the functionality, since the tent is very roomy even for two regardless, and I sealed the bathtub seam.

Kerosene
09-25-2005, 08:01
the mesh walls on the sides seemed too tall -- they had a tendency to droop down to the floor.This sounds very similar to what can happen with the Lunar Solo. You might be able to solve by using 8" tent pegs (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=290&parent_category_rn=4500663&vcat=REI_SEARCH), pushing them in about half-way and keeping the "fly" guyline at the top of the peg. Worked like a charm with my Lunar Solo.