PDA

View Full Version : Lakota 65 or Red Cloud 90?

coolness
11-10-2013, 20:17
I'm researching a new backpack and trying to decide which Kelty would be best. I usually backpack for 2 nights. My Boreas Lost Coast 60 is nice but a bit small for all my gear. A friend has the Red Cloud and it has more than enough room. I saw the Lakota on sale at Campsaver for $142.00. Looks like a great deal as the Red Cloud is $219. The Lakota has 5000 in3 and the Red Cloud 5600 in3.

Recommendations?? :)

I meant the Lakota 85....

Venchka
11-10-2013, 20:42
Those packs are huge. Is your gear also huge that it won't fit in a 60 liter pack? I have a hard time filling a 63 liter pack. Just wondering.

Wayne

swjohnsey
11-10-2013, 21:53
Yep, less is more.

Tuckahoe
11-10-2013, 23:11
I am not familiar with either pack, so I am no help there. But as you consider the two, what are you looking for in a pack and which of the two meets the criteria?

Can you try out your friends pack? And is there an outfitter like Outdoor Trails in Lynchburg, that you can go and check them out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlSWNxZ-CY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Whack-a-mole
11-10-2013, 23:16
Really like my Go lite!

coolness
11-11-2013, 10:33
I have a Mountainsmith 2 man, a Kelty 20° down bag and other necessary items that I pack. I really try to leave out the unnecessary stuff. Of course, I have my cooking gear, etc. as well. After putting the tent sleeping bag and everything else in the pack, it's tight.

Tuckahoe - Yep, we do have an Outdoor Trails. I'm going to check them out and try on a few packs.

The Lost Coast 60 is a 60 liter pack. No separate compartment for the bag. I could strap it on the outside, I suppose.

MDSection12
11-11-2013, 11:59
If you're filling a 60 liter bag for a two night trip then you need to look at other gear to replace, not the bag. Just my opinion of course, but that seems crazy to me. For a two night trip I often take my 35 liter Kelty Redwing.

bfayer
11-11-2013, 12:20
If you're filling a 60 liter bag for a two night trip then you need to look at other gear to replace, not the bag. Just my opinion of course, but that seems crazy to me. For a two night trip I often take my 35 liter Kelty Redwing.

I was thinking the same thing.

I know it's not what the OP was asking, but maybe he needs to post his gear list. Even when I was carrying most of my kids stuff I didn't need a 90 lt pack.

Namtrag
11-11-2013, 12:55
I have an Osprey Volt 60. I put the following in my pack, and it is completely full without being extremely stuffed: BA Deer Park 30 sleeping bag, Thermarest Trail Scout pad, BA Jack Rabbit 2 tent, a Bear Vault 450 full of food, a clothes bag, a Jet Boil Stove, and a bag with coffee cup, and toiletries.

I am kind of like the OP, I don't see how anyone could go smaller than what I have at 60L...I also put stuff in the outside pockets, and have my jacket stuffed in the brain area, as you can see. This was for a 2 night, 3 day trip to Tinker Cliffs/McAfee Knob area. I know my sleeping bag is oversized, but I can't bear a mummy bag, as I have big shoulders and hate feeling claustrophobic. The Bear Vault could go and be replaced with a bear bag or Ursack, and I guess that would put me down to where I might be able to squeeze into a 50-55L maybe?

Tuckahoe
11-11-2013, 13:33

I was thinking the same thing.

I know it's not what the OP was asking, but maybe he needs to post his gear list. Even when I was carrying most of my kids stuff I didn't need a 90 lt pack.

On the other hand maybe the OP is wanting to carry things that are more for comfort while camped and doesn't have the desire to pack light and small for long miles. Sometimes we should just answer the questions asked without picking apart someone's gear choice.

Coffee
11-11-2013, 13:40
ULA Catalyst at ~75 liters might be an option worth looking into as well.

bfayer
11-11-2013, 14:33
I have an Osprey Volt 60. I put the following in my pack, and it is completely full without being extremely stuffed: BA Deer Park 30 sleeping bag, Thermarest Trail Scout pad, BA Jack Rabbit 2 tent, a Bear Vault 450 full of food, a clothes bag, a Jet Boil Stove, and a bag with coffee cup, and toiletries.

I am kind of like the OP, I don't see how anyone could go smaller than what I have at 60L...I also put stuff in the outside pockets, and have my jacket stuffed in the brain area, as you can see. This was for a 2 night, 3 day trip to Tinker Cliffs/McAfee Knob area. I know my sleeping bag is oversized, but I can't bear a mummy bag, as I have big shoulders and hate feeling claustrophobic. The Bear Vault could go and be replaced with a bear bag or Ursack, and I guess that would put me down to where I might be able to squeeze into a 50-55L maybe?

A bear canister changes everything :)

You should look into a Montbell sleeping bag. Very roomy and very compact and light.

Namtrag
11-11-2013, 16:14
A bear canister changes everything :)

You should look into a Montbell sleeping bag. Very roomy and very compact and light.

I looked at them, but haven't tried one out. They are a little pricey for me, but I could catch one on sale sometime!