PDA

View Full Version : looking for water proof zipper

pawlinghiker
11-10-2013, 23:01
I want to modify my current pack ( North Face Prophet 52 ) , it does not have bottom access, besides this I really like the pack. So I figured I would just install a zipper on the bottom portion so I can access the lower items with out pulling the whole bag apart.

I need either a 12 inch straight or preferably a 18 inch curved zipper to follow contour of the bag. This is my first experience with zippers, do the come curved or do you just curve a straight one.

I have searched google for a water resistant zipper but did not find much.

Figured Id check here.....

Tuckahoe
11-10-2013, 23:56
http://diygearsupply.com/product-category/zipper/ DIY Gear Supply may have what you need.

psyculman
11-11-2013, 05:56
JoAnn's fabrics has waterproof zippers. No zipper is curved. Be aware that waterproof zippers do not perform well at below freezing temperatures.

HeartFire
11-11-2013, 11:03
Uretek zippers are not waterproof, they are water resistant. Zippers do not come 'curved' some zippers can be put in on a curved seam, but a uretek zipper will not have the flexability to curve.

Tuckahoe
11-11-2013, 13:43
Can a zipper be truly waterproof? Seems that the best that could be expected is water resistance.

jimmyjam
11-11-2013, 20:50
You can also get them at Quest Outfitters: www.questoutfitters.com or from Joe at Zpacks: www.zpacks.com

HeartFire
11-11-2013, 21:04
YKK's Aquaguard zipper is much more waterproof than the uretek zipper, but I don't know to what sort of rating.
SeaOx makes a waterproof zipper - for dry suit's - scuba diving
Tizip makes several different waterproof zippers -

And yes, zippers CAN be waterproof. I imagine these would be hard to find as one off's