PDA

View Full Version : Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap in December weather???

Sidwolf2
11-11-2013, 10:56
Hello. My family is planning to hike this section of the AT in late December. We are from Florida so we have absolutley no experience in ice and snow...not only with hiking but driving as well. I am a bit concerned that we might be biting off more than we can chew. We are mid level hikers having done the first section last year in September. I think we can deal with the cold, I'm just not sure what to expect on the roads driving up in our 2wd car and the conditions on the trail that time of year. We have decent gear, but again, we've never been in snow , so we are kind of worried. We will be keeping on eye on the weather. Anyone have any advice to help us out?

aficion
11-11-2013, 12:04
Hello. My family is planning to hike this section of the AT in late December. We are from Florida so we have absolutley no experience in ice and snow...not only with hiking but driving as well. I am a bit concerned that we might be biting off more than we can chew. We are mid level hikers having done the first section last year in September. I think we can deal with the cold, I'm just not sure what to expect on the roads driving up in our 2wd car and the conditions on the trail that time of year. We have decent gear, but again, we've never been in snow , so we are kind of worried. We will be keeping on eye on the weather. Anyone have any advice to help us out?

Could be lovely. Could be impossible. Or any where in between. If you are not trolling, eye on the weather, Florida trail plan B.

Sidwolf2
11-11-2013, 12:14
Hey thanks, for the info. I guess its all up to Mother Nature

Semodex
11-11-2013, 12:42
Just to second afiction...there was a Christmas where we rode around with the top down on our Jeep and others where we were bundled up in wool hats and gloves.

Razor
11-11-2013, 13:17
Let the weather be the deciding factor to be flexible around. But in any event be prepared for cold. It could be very cold. The snow is not a big worry in most cases. The rain and sleet in freezing weather is the dangerous variable. Both in driving and hiking. A good plan would be to come up and enjoy your planed trip ,weather permitting ,or get a cabin at Blood Mountain and do shorter day hikes in the section you want. Georgia is beautiful all 12 months and you will have a great time which ever way it plays out.

1azarus
11-11-2013, 13:23
i suggest you plan your trail heads so that you stay on more major roads -- likely to be clear in almost any case. two inches of snow could well/should well have more impact on your driving than on your hiking. you may fall in love -- hiking without sweating could be a first for you all. you can bring cheese and other "refrigeratable" items easily. lots of good advice here on whiteblaze about winter camping. and yes to everything already said. Not statistically likely you'll get enough snow to mess up your plans. Rule of thumb: 6 inches of snow or less = bragging rights snow. More than 6" = adjust plans. Consider buying cheap/disposable yaktraks if you are really worried, but not likely to need them.

Train Wreck
11-11-2013, 13:52
Not statistically likely you'll get enough snow to mess up your plans. Rule of thumb: 6 inches of snow or less = bragging rights snow. More than 6" = adjust plans.

Spoken like a northerner :D

BobTheBuilder
11-11-2013, 14:24
Forwarned is forarmed, or something like that. As a fellow deep southerner, I have done Springer to Neels at the end of December. Two things I underestimated - how cold your hands can get when you are working in camp and how short the days and how long and cold the nights are. Imagine getting in your bag by 6 pm, asleep for 8 pm, wide awake at 4 am, shivering until daylight at 7 am. I would bring a ipod with good battery life.

daddytwosticks
11-11-2013, 16:18
Forwarned is forarmed, or something like that. As a fellow deep southerner, I have done Springer to Neels at the end of December. Two things I underestimated - how cold your hands can get when you are working in camp and how short the days and how long and cold the nights are. Imagine getting in your bag by 6 pm, asleep for 8 pm, wide awake at 4 am, shivering until daylight at 7 am. I would bring a ipod with good battery life.
This is THE reason I don't do any hiking other than day hikes from Nov thru early March: the nights are too damned long and dark. :)