PDA

View Full Version : Favorite rice side, pasta side, ect.

windels11
11-11-2013, 19:30
I've been really liking the rice sides lately for hiking and just eating at home! What are your guys favorite kinds?

Tuckahoe
11-11-2013, 19:57
Cant stand either Knorr or Rice a Roni rice sides. Especially as they are so cheap they're cut with pasta.

I do like Zatarain's though and I will take a box and cook it up with other add ins, divide into servings and then dehydrate. If I want meat I will add freeze dried chicken.

windels11
11-11-2013, 20:02
I do like Zatarain's though and I will take a box and cook it up with other add ins, divide into servings and then dehydrate. If I want meat I will add freeze dried chicken.
Sounds pretty good!! Maybe I'll have to try it!

kayak karl
11-11-2013, 20:04
after days of hiking my favorite is the one in my pack.

Coffee
11-11-2013, 20:29
Half a package of Knorr Spanish Rice combined with half a package of Santa Fe instant refried beans and a few tortillas plus a few taco bell sauce packets makes for a quick, cheap and high calorie meal.

Although not rice, the Near East couscous (various varieties) along with a good amount of olive oil makes a good and quick meal as well.

windels11
11-11-2013, 20:44
after days of hiking my favorite is the one in my pack.
True that!!

windels11
11-11-2013, 20:44
Half a package of Knorr Spanish Rice combined with half a package of Santa Fe instant refried beans and a few tortillas plus a few taco bell sauce packets makes for a quick, cheap and high calorie meal. Although not rice, the Near East couscous (various varieties) along with a good amount of olive oil makes a good and quick meal as well.
Yummmmmmy!!!

MuddyWaters
11-11-2013, 20:52
Knorr parmesan...with tabasco sauce in it.

off-pher
11-11-2013, 22:30
Ramam with tuna and hot sauce
With out the packit of salt it comes with

Odd Man Out
11-11-2013, 23:44
Zaterains Black Beans and Rice (Red Beans and Rice OK too). I do not think this is made with instant/pre cooked rice, so it may take longer to cook than instant brands. I've cooked in the pot on an alcohol stove (White Box type stove). Use a full load of fuel so it boils for several minutes before flame out. Then wrap pot in a dish towel. Let set for 15 minutes.

TOMP
11-12-2013, 00:54
+1 on this also with anchovies instead of tuna or smoked oysters.

bigcranky
11-12-2013, 08:48
Teriyaki noodles, and add a pouch of chicken, and some hot sauce. My favorite trail meal these days.

mrcoffeect
11-12-2013, 09:20
Teriyaki noodles, and add a pouch of chicken, and some hot sauce. My favorite trail meal these days.
this plus a dollop of peanut butter.

fishfeet
11-12-2013, 13:12
none because theyre disgusting and have tons of terrible things in them

michaelosborne
11-12-2013, 14:21
Mac and cheese, Mac and cheese, and some more Mac and cheese

susiecruise
11-12-2013, 21:14
I've been really liking the rice sides lately for hiking and just eating at home! What are your guys favorite kinds?

Alpine rice Rice with cheese and toasted sesame seeds, the combination of cheese and seeds with rice offers a complete protein

On the trail: minute brown rice, powdered cheese and toasted sesame or sunflower or pumkin seeds or whatever

At home: short grainrice, Sharp cheddar annd toasted sesame and whatever

Different Socks
11-12-2013, 22:34
Noodle/rice packs are not sides for me. Add meats, veggies and it's my main meal with a bagel/tortilla with cream cheese before dessert.

Faves? Tomato Parm, Cheddar Broc, Angel Hair and Herbs, various kinds of pasta with spices/sauces/veggies/meats.