PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mile Wilderness

WolfCBP
11-12-2013, 07:56
Nearly all of my hiking is done in Virginia. Looking at the topo maps for the AT in Virginia, and the AT in Maine, it appears to show the Virginia areas having more elevation changes. I can easily cover 20 mile days in Virginia. For those who have been through the 100 mile wilderness, what makes it so "slow going" that they advise 10 days of food? The 10 day supply suggests 10 mile days. Thanks in advance.

Doc
11-12-2013, 08:04
I think that if you read some journals you will get a better idea of what hikers have done. 6-7 days is not all that hard to do. The trail is not as smooth as in Virginia-think rocks, roots, and mud so that hiking is slower. The other issue is re-supply. Although there are indeed some limited options it is not as easy as in the south. Many folks rate this 100 miles as one of the best sections on the whole trail. Hopefully we can limit the huge wind turbines that threaten this section so that it remains special.

mrcoffeect
11-12-2013, 08:05
the trail is more rocks and roots. its more of a foot path than it is a trail.

WolfCBP
11-12-2013, 08:15
I think that if you read some journals you will get a better idea of what hikers have done. 6-7 days is not all that hard to do. The trail is not as smooth as in Virginia-think rocks, roots, and mud so that hiking is slower. The other issue is re-supply. Although there are indeed some limited options it is not as easy as in the south. Many folks rate this 100 miles as one of the best sections on the whole trail. Hopefully we can limit the huge wind turbines that threaten this section so that it remains special.

Appreciate this. All the books I have read pretty much glance over it and say rivers/mud were their main "complaint". Perhaps journals, as you suggest, will indeed go into specific details to paint a better mental picture for me.

Thanks Doc and MrCoffee

kayak karl
11-12-2013, 08:16
maine doesn't know what a switchback is. many info you read is people starting SOBO with little hiking experience.

1azarus
11-12-2013, 08:24
...so, yes, for everyone the mph is somewhat reduced in the 100 miles, in comparison, from the trails in VA, but that just means a little longer day if you want to hike farther. It isn't particularly hard- you are right about the elevation changes. figure about a quarter mile an hour pace reduction. i suppose as a disclaimer i should say -- also depends on personal variables: how sure footed/nimble you are :) and how much you like to climb.

SouthMark
11-12-2013, 09:23
As 1asarus said, it depends on how nimble you are. I do not remember very much of the trail where you could just flat out stride at least not at my age. It is mostly all rocks and roots with mud, scrambles, and climbs thrown in for good measure. Having said that it was one of my favorite sections. I was able to do a resupply half way through at White House Landing.

garlic08
11-12-2013, 10:39
My general impression of the HMW was a difficult wet stumble through the southern half, then a pleasant easy trail walk in the northern half. I hiked it in four days and change. My average for the whole trail was twenty miles per day.

In general, I remember VA as having much better trail tread. Total elevation change does not tell the story in ME.

forrest!
11-12-2013, 10:55
Just did it last June in 7 days. The northern half is relatively flat, but can be boggy. Southern half has more climbs. Make your time in the northern half. Very little trail maintenance in Maine. Just rocks and roots. If it rains the trail will be a stream.

I parked at Shaw's in Monson, ate breakfast with them, and then got a shuttle to Abol Bridge and hiked back to my truck. Took a shower and drove home to GA. Good deal.

Slo-go'en
11-12-2013, 11:55
I think the 10 day thing is a hold over from the old days when hikers were lugging 40+ pound frame pack loads around. With the much lighter loads now common, most can shave 3-4 days off the trip, doing it in a week or less.

But overall, the trail in Maine is much rougher than the rest of the AT and that slows you down a lot. The climbs are steep and the decents trecherous and that slows you down a lot. In the 100 Mile Wilderness, there are also the river fords to contend with. Take all that together and it takes about the same amount of time and effort to do 10 miles in Maine as it does to do 20 miles Virginia.

max patch
11-12-2013, 12:00
I believe the 10 day suggestion applies to weekend warriors.

I wanted to make sure I could take all the time I wanted to traverse the HMW on my thru, so I started with 10 days worth of food. And, because it was getting cold, I bought some extra clothes in town. I started the HMW with a 62 pound pack, which was the highest of the entire trip. It took me 6 days.

fishfeet
11-12-2013, 13:03
well this year with the amount of rain in september, the trail was flooded with shin-deep water for 30 straight miles we never stepped out of the water. and we still made it all the way thru the 100 miles and the the majority of the way through baxter in only 4 1/2 days. Its exactly like the rest of maine, hard and slow-going; if Virginia is running... then Maine is tip-toeing, its such a huge difference from the South.

kycali
11-15-2013, 11:03
The first half is still mountainous and like others have said, even in the sections where the trail is fairly flat flat the rocks and roots are a huge pain. There are people in Monson who do food drops in the middle of the wilderness. A lot of people took advantage of that so they didn't have to carry 5-6 days of food.

ChinMusic
11-15-2013, 13:09
The first 30 miles out of Monson took me 21 hours. The footing is just so tedious. Just looking at elevation maps does not paint the picture.

CarlZ993
11-15-2013, 16:55
I didn't do a resupply cache out of Monson. I'll show you my actual itinerary & the probably itinerary if I ever do it again.
Day 1: 15.1 M @ Long Pond Stream Lean-to
Day 2: 10.9 M @ Chairback Gap Lean-to
Day 3: 9.9 M @ Carl Newhall Lean-to
Day 4: 18.9 M @ Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to (nice location)
Day 5: 14 M @ White House Landing
Day 6: 19.4 M @ Rainbow Lake Campsite
Day 7: 21.2 @ The Birches Lean-to (Baxter St. Park)
Day 8: 5.1 summit of Katahdin & back down.

At the start, I was carrying the most food weight of the entire trip. I took my time to try & bleed off some of the food weight. If I were to do it again, I'd use the food cache service at Lakeshore House in Monson (Shaw's was really expensive; when I heard how much it was, I didn't bother checking w/ Lakeshore... regretted not doing so). Probably do the same distance on day 1, combine days 2 & 3, and probably follow the same itinerary the rest of the way (maybe bypass White House Landing to go further on that day & shorten the other days).

As others have said, elevation at the beginning & roots at the end. Just prior to stopping at Rainbow Lake Campsite (next to the last night on the AT), a root tripped me & I did a face-plant on the trail. I was so happy that I didn't hurt anything (other than my pride). It was literally two minutes before I got to the camp. I was very cautious on the next two days (Birches & the summit).

Don H
11-15-2013, 17:05
I would take 7 days food and resupply at Abol Bridge campground if needed for the short hike into Baxter SP and the climb up K the next day.

Two years ago Shaw's charged $80 to do a food drop at Jo Mary Rd (half way through the 100 mile). If you have several hikers go in on it and split the price that's not too expensive.

WILLIAM HAYES
11-15-2013, 21:35
Roots rocks rain not many if any switchbacks- rain slowed me down a bit you have to really watch your footing in certain areas northern part was fairly easy I resupplied at whitehouse landing creek crossings were not bad at all beautiful section of the AT If I had to choose one section to redo it would be the HMW.

Hillbilly

danil411
11-16-2013, 08:38
Check the status of White House Landing before leaving if you are considering it for a stopping point. Wonderful place run by wonderful people who are trying to sell the camp and enter next phase of life.

Maine is beautiful. Enjoy.
Dimples

Stepinwolfe
11-16-2013, 10:25
The 100 Miles of Wilderness in Maine differ significantly from the AT in Virginia. Although there are some stretches of the 100 Miles where you might make 20 miles a day, jagged peaks (very slippery when wet) and swampy low areas will slow you down. The 100 Miles took me 7 days (in July) and it rained nearly every day. As others have stated, the AT is better maintained in VA, where I can generally make 15-20 miles per day.

mrcoffeect
11-16-2013, 11:09
from what ive heard from linda this was their last year wether they sell or not. No whl in2014

Turk6177
11-16-2013, 12:17
I have hiked both in VA and the 100 mile wilderness. Do not underestimate the 100 mile wilderness. I would count on at least 7 days. The footing is the most challenging part. The last 40 miles (nobo) is through swamps and slippery rocks and mostly lots and lots of roots. Check out the 100 mile wilderness outfitters. Phil Peppin will do a resupply for you around midway (Joe Mary Road). He has a wonderful site with cabins in Monson, and he is also a shuttle driver. Oh, and if you are going in the summer, bug spray is a must, and I would definitely spray your clothes with permetherin. Here is Phil's web page: http://100milewilderness.info

putts
11-16-2013, 20:50
Ive done it twice, once in 7 days, once in 10. I was in peak hiking shape both times but the weather was what slowed me down. In '09 I had 10 days of food, nothing but beautiful days so I swam in every hole I could, and spent all 10 days out there.

WolfCBP
11-18-2013, 05:03
Thank you all. I have a clearer picture and I appreciate the advice about the food drops. I believe it will be well worth it since I will be SOBO; and 8-10 days of food on my back through a swampy area doesn't sound ideal.

Cookerhiker
11-18-2013, 07:00
I hiked it in 7 days/6 nights and I was trail-hardy after having started my section hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117001) in Gorham. The southernmost part has a lot of up-and-down but nothing like the southwesternmost 70 miles of Maine coming out of NH. As others have said, wet conditions might slow you down, depending on what the year was like when you hike it.

wcgornto
12-08-2013, 14:36
Is a lot of rain typical for the 100 mile wilderness in September?

I hiked the AT SOBO in 2009 starting in Maine on June 14th. The rain was epic and constant. I am planning a two week section hike in September in 2014 from Jo Mary road to Stratton, hoping to have different and better conditions than I had in 2009. Is a lot of September rain common or was this just a 2013 event?

well this year with the amount of rain in september, the trail was flooded with shin-deep water for 30 straight miles we never stepped out of the water. and we still made it all the way thru the 100 miles and the the majority of the way through baxter in only 4 1/2 days. Its exactly like the rest of maine, hard and slow-going; if Virginia is running... then Maine is tip-toeing, its such a huge difference from the South.

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2013, 14:46
Is a lot of rain typical for the 100 mile wilderness in September?

I hiked the AT SOBO in 2009 starting in Maine on June 14th. The rain was epic and constant. I am planning a two week section hike in September in 2014 from Jo Mary road to Stratton, hoping to have different and better conditions than I had in 2009. Is a lot of September rain common or was this just a 2013 event?Some years Septembers in Northern NE are wet, some are less so - you can't predict it. But September marks the change from our usually dryer July/August summer weather. The later in September you get, the more likely the chance of cold autumn rains (and even possibly early snow at higher elevations).

wcgornto
12-08-2013, 15:21
OK thanks.

I am planning on being on the trail August 31 to September 13. Based on your comments, it seems I am less likely to be soaked the first half of the month than the second half.

Some years Septembers in Northern NE are wet, some are less so - you can't predict it. But September marks the change from our usually dryer July/August summer weather. The later in September you get, the more likely the chance of cold autumn rains (and even possibly early snow at higher elevations).

4eyedbuzzard
12-08-2013, 16:56
OK thanks.

I am planning on being on the trail August 31 to September 13. Based on your comments, it seems I am less likely to be soaked the first half of the month than the second half.

I, and I think many here, would call your dates ideal. Beginning of autumn in the north woods.