PDA

View Full Version : Starting at Amicalola?

c153abn
11-12-2013, 13:49
Hello all,

Looking for suggestions on how to start a week long, GA only section hike heading NOBO. Do hikers typically start in Amicalola Falls, on Springer Mtn itself, or somewhere else. I am looking to get dropped off, but need to plan the different distances into my timeline.

Thx, JGray

Praha4
11-12-2013, 13:52
you can start at Amicalola Falls SP if you want, that's how I always go. They have safe parking there at the Park Visitor Center. If you get a ride, you could get dropped off at the Gap parking area on the Forest Service Rd about a mile north of Springer. If you have a whole week, I would start at the State Park, do the approach trail, see the waterfalls too. It's really up to you where you start.

max patch
11-12-2013, 14:52
I think it depends on if you want to hike the extra 8 miles of the Approach Trail. Other than that, other considerations would be (1) if you are leaving a car, AFSP is the safest trailhead in GA (although I leave a car at Springer for a week with no worries, (2) if you are being dropped off, AFSP is all paved roads, while Springer is a 13 mile roundtrip drive on an excellent forest service road, (3) if you paying for a shuttle I'd bet that AFSP would be a bit cheaper.

max patch
11-12-2013, 14:54
Since you asked, I'd say that most hikers "typically" start at Springer since the approach trail is blue blazed and is not "official" AT mileage. Shorter too.

marti038
11-18-2013, 11:29
I recently did a section starting at AFSP. My brother and I elected to start there because we were arriving late at night and there's a shelter (Max Epperson Shelter I think) right behind the visitor's center which is where you'll probably leave your car. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the lodge as a pre-hike fuel up.

With that said, the falls are about the only scenic item on the approach trail. After you reach the top of the falls, it's 7 more (mostly uphill) miles of woods with not much else to see.

Pedaling Fool
11-18-2013, 15:21
It seems to me that most start at the parking lot just down the hill from the summit of Springer. That's why I always start at Amicalola State Park.

Trebor66
11-18-2013, 15:33
Since you are getting dropped off it mostly depends on what you and your ride want to do. If your ride doesn't mind driving on the FS road then I would get dropped off near Springer. Depending on your speed of course, you should be able to complete all of the AT in Georgia in 7 days.

MuddyWaters
11-18-2013, 20:22
Approach trail isnt hard, no reason to be afraid of it.
Its a nice hike, takes 4-5 hrs.

No particular reason to do it
But no reason not to either
Do what you prefer

It makes the summit of Springer more rewarding to get to though.

Malto
11-18-2013, 22:12
Approach trail isnt hard, no reason to be afraid of it.
Its a nice hike, takes 4-5 hrs.

No particular reason to do it
But no reason not to either
Do what you prefer

It makes the summit of Springer more rewarding to get to though.

+1............