PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Costa Rica--My plans for AT thru hike in 06?

soulrebel
08-22-2005, 16:48
Well, it seems the sun is shining and I've been offered a house sitting arrangement in Costa Rica. And it looks like it could be an indefinite tenure at that...

One problem----I've committed myself to thru-hiking the AT with my wife in 06'. She's already forgotten about that and is ready to get on down to Costa. I, however, am clearly interested in moving--but considering all the time, money, effort I've put into planning the thru-hike--I'm confused about my agenda. Likewise, I've got a home and car to get rid of if we're leaving...

I'm now in the position of trying to figure out how I can potentially leave earlier (april 9 was my planned day) on the hike , and do it faster than normal (approx 100-120 days). Anyways, I don't know where I'm going with this---but what would you do?

Should I forget the AT for the next few years? I like Costa Rica, but I've really got my mind stuck on this AT hike (not to mention all new gear). Paradise dilemma---

p.s-I'm aware anything less than 150 days is fast--but then again, I'm an everyday running fool...

Doctari
08-22-2005, 22:15
Well, to quote the much maligned Wingfoot: "to do a AT thru hike it should be the most important thing in your life" & after 5 section hikes, I have to agree with that statement, at least 99%.

Also, a 150 day thru is "only" about 14.6 MPD average. That is without any rest days natch, but still doable if well motivated & you pace youself. Probably doable even without running.

Have fun whatever you do :)

Doctari.

chris
08-23-2005, 00:24
If I was in your shoes I'd be real confused right now. On the one hand, the AT will always be there, while the Costa Rica deal will not. On the other hand, if you were to die at the end of the summer, which would you rather have done? I'd think, very seriously, about whether or not doing the AT without your wife, or with a very uncommitted wife, would be enjoyable for you. Given the choice, I'd go to Costa Rica for the experience of it and keep the AT in my head for the future. On the other hand, four years ago I would have ditched Costa Rica and hit the AT instead.

Oh, if you go to Costa Rica, make sure to get over to Nicaragua, whcih is definitely one of the coolest places I've been to. Even if you just pop over for a weekend to Isla Ometeppe, it is definitely worth it.

Sleepy the Arab
08-28-2005, 15:10
Just curious but whereabouts in Costa Rica?

soulrebel
08-28-2005, 15:37
Guanacaste--Tamarindo. Delta is running flights to Liberia (sic?). Why you wanna go with us? hehe

Sleepy the Arab
08-30-2005, 00:41
Well, if the price is right (free).

Actually, my woman is at La Selva Biological Station near San Pedro.

rickb
08-30-2005, 08:13
At least you can drink "Katadin" water in Costa Rica.