PDA

View Full Version : Hiking shoes in the winter

chasing shadows
11-12-2013, 19:56
I am planning to start my AT hike in mid feburary and was wondering if I should stick to hiking boots or if hiking shoes would be fine during those cold wet winter months. Do any of you guys have experience with using hiking shoes in the winter? I am wondering if hiking shoes work well with the cold temperatures and possible snow? I would imagine gaiters would probably be necessary to help keep snow and other things out. The two shoes I am looking at are the North Face Hedgehog 3 and the Keen Marshall WP hiking shoes but I am open to suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

G.G.
11-12-2013, 20:54
Pricey but I'd consider them.

http://www.40below.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=13

michaelosborne
11-12-2013, 21:33
Your feet are gonna get wet no matter what whether it's instantly or a little later on after they soak through your boots so your best bet is to get shoes that are really we'll ventilated and can dry out quickly such as trail runners. If cold wet feet are a concern of yours they sell vapor barrier, "waterproof" socks like seelskins.

kayak karl
11-12-2013, 22:08
ive hiked in winter. avoid gortex. anything you wear will get wet, but gortex never dries. never. sealskins help to keep other socks dry. high or low shoe up to you. overboots weigh a ton. not really for hiking.

Slosteppin
11-12-2013, 23:32
I no longer backpack when there is snow on the ground. I do a lot of snowshoeing on local trails. If you go with low-cut shoes I suggest waterproof gaiters. Your shoes will be wet even if they are waterproof. One winter hike I did years ago my boots were frozen stiff in the morning. Feet sweat and sweaty boots will freeze. Can you keep your feet warm enough in those shoes? Once we get snow I wear insulated water proof boots. But that is not for long distance hiking.

ChinMusic
11-13-2013, 01:47
I've hiked the AT plenty in the winter and do just fine with trail runners.

Tips:
- loosen laces and open shoe before going to bed. When the shoe freezes at least you can get your foot in.
- bread bags make great barriers to protect your camp socks. You can still wear your wet shoes and your socks remain dry. This is only for camp.
- down booties for camp if real cold or if you are one that has feet that get cold easily.