PDA

View Full Version : Trekker or Super Tioga

workboot
08-22-2005, 17:56
I`ve been contemplating a new pack purchase to replace my old Alice pack which has served me well but is lacking both in comfort and usable space. I`m planning a 2-3 month AT hike next year beginning at Springer and ending wherever I end up (hopefully through at least VA),however this could possibly turn into a thru-hike.Depending on Momma`s (my wifes :o ) OK of course.

I`ve got my pack choices narrowed down to the Kelty Trekker 3950 or the Super Tioga.I`m not an ultra-lite hiker but am not a gear hog either.I`m 5`10 and right at 175-180 pounds, I plan on having my pack weight come in somewhere around 30-33 pounds fully loaded including water and a 7-8 day food supply.I would like some advice on which of these packs would best suit my needs based on that general info. The weight difference in the two packs is only 13 ounces so that is not really an issue.

Unfortunatley I dont have opportunity to try these packs out for fit in person as no outfitters are relativley close to my home so this will be an online purchase.Any input from those of you who own or have used either of these packs would be greatly appreicated.Thanks in advance.

Martin aka "Workboot"

Peaks
08-23-2005, 07:39
If you can't get to an outfitter with your gear, let's look at the specs on the two packs:

The Kelty Trekker has a volume of 3950, and weights 5 pounds 3 ounces.

The Kelty Super Tioga has a volume of 4745 and weights 6 pounds 7 ounces.

Both are external frame packs. So, your sleeping bag and pad will probably be strapped to the frame outside the pack.

Short answer: I recommend the smaller and lighter pack. If all your gear and food does not fit inside, then you are probably carrying too much gear, and thus too much weight.

For what it's worth, I used the Trekker for my thru-hike. However, external frames are in the minority. Most use an internal frame pack. You might also consider the Osprey Aether and Gregrory Forester packs.

kyhipo
08-23-2005, 08:08
Its all summed up with the super word :clap tioga who can beat a kelty,even in the winter add couple little skis to them and sled down them hills:eek: ky

RedneckRye
08-23-2005, 08:16
Gregory Forester is being discontinued for '06, so they might start showing up on sale.

papa john
08-23-2005, 08:17
Campmor has the Kelty Super Tioga on sale right now for $119.97. They have a very good return policy. The trekker is very small but is OK for a summer load. I have one and I like it. I also have the Kelty Super Cirque which I will be using this fall. It is similar to the ST but it might be a bit larger. It is a very comfortable pack, although I have not used it on the trail as yet.

BlackCloud
08-23-2005, 12:11
I own & love my Kelty Tioga, which is about 3900 cu" - the size of the Trekker. Do they no longer make the Tioga? I always thought the Super Tioga to be way too large.

You're right-on w/ an external pack for the AT. I've done "long" trips w/ my Tioga & I loaded it up to 35lbs +; you don't want to carry more then that do you?

workboot
08-23-2005, 12:58
Thanks for all the input everyone.At the moment I`m leaning towards the Trekker as I dont really feel I`ll need a pack as large as the super tioga.BlackCloud yep trying to keep my pack under 35 pounds ,also Kelty still makes the tioga model as far as I know, its just a little out of my price range as I was trying to keep the $$ amount around a $100 or just a little more, and as was mentioned above Campmor has the ST for $119 at the moment.Internal packs just arent my thing though a lot of folks swear by them.

workboot

papa john
08-23-2005, 14:44
You can get the Trekker from Campmor for $99.99. backcountry.net also has it for $100 and change with free shipping. That might be the better deal.

Lilred
08-23-2005, 16:17
I have a kelty trekker and love it. It's a great pack and there is a sleeping bag compartment. I highly recommend it.