PDA

View Full Version : Bug net question.

flatfeet
11-13-2013, 04:53
I hike with a tarp. but as luck would have it I've never hiked when bugs were at their worst.
Long story short I've never used a bug bivy, net or anything.

What has been your experience with the bug bivys? I like how they attach to the underside ridgeline
of the tarp. I like this one from MLD especially. http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=55

I'd like to make my own...probably easier to just buy it. lol.

thanks.

Chris.

coach lou
11-13-2013, 07:32
24842Try Army surplus, I forgot to check it back in when I left Camp Lejeune. Lots of room for 1, room enough with spouse. If I use a shelter it goes up by itself for bugs and mice.

rocketsocks
11-13-2013, 07:35
Hooch!!!!!

chall
11-13-2013, 13:10
I have a Borah Gear bivy for use with my tarp: http://borahgear.com/chestbivy.html, but the side zip version. Great bivy; and depending on your tarp size, it will give you more weather protection with the DWR top fabric (you can choose between three different fabrics) than a bug net. Great customer service and they are customizable beyond just the fabric selection. Cheaper, too!

Studlintsean
11-13-2013, 13:20
I have been experimenting with tarps lately and have also never used a bivy/bug net. My thoughts were I would use the tarp in the late fall/ winter/ early spring time frame when bugs are at a minimal. I normally do fairly short trips and if heavy snow or really bad weatehr is expected I can bring my TT. Is a bivy really necessary? I tend to move around quite a bit in my sleep and feel a bivy might be a bit constrictive. I also currenty have a cheap tarp (Equinox) but was curious on modifications to attach a bivy to keep the netting off the face. Anyone have any insight on this? Sorry if this is a thread steal Flatfeet. I believe its all relative.

chall
11-13-2013, 13:47
I have been experimenting with tarps lately and have also never used a bivy/bug net. My thoughts were I would use the tarp in the late fall/ winter/ early spring time frame when bugs are at a minimal. I normally do fairly short trips and if heavy snow or really bad weatehr is expected I can bring my TT. Is a bivy really necessary? I tend to move around quite a bit in my sleep and feel a bivy might be a bit constrictive. I also currenty have a cheap tarp (Equinox) but was curious on modifications to attach a bivy to keep the netting off the face. Anyone have any insight on this? Sorry if this is a thread steal Flatfeet. I believe its all relative.

Of course this is just my personal experience, but, I found that the bivy was really not restrictive. This is especially the case when you have a way to pull the bug netting off of your face. The way Borah and I believe MLD does it is by sewing a piece of grosgrain (forms a loop) to the bug netting so you can use cording (I use shock cord to allow some give in order not to rip the grosgrain off the netting) to attach it to either an internal tie out, if your tarp has one. My tarp doesn't so I attach it to the tip of the trekking pole in the front of the tarp.

It seems the necessity of a bivy all comes down to personal preference, and what type of weather you'll be using it in. I have a 6.5'x10' tarp and use the Borah bivy for extra protection, but it's not really "necessary".