PDA

View Full Version : mouse traps

squeezebox
11-13-2013, 12:24
Here's the idea. If everyone brought a mouse trap with them, and a little bait, we could put a substantial dent in the shelter mouse population. But I feel maybe I'm missing something.

forrest!
11-13-2013, 12:45
It's like trapping squirrels in your yard - you will never run out or catch them all.

The mice live naturally in the woods around the shelter. Killing the ones in the shelter just provides an opportunity for other mice to move in.

RangerZ
11-13-2013, 13:04
I'm trying to convince my cats to come hike with me. They have other ideas.

rocketsocks
11-13-2013, 13:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOwinLWrEIw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOwinLWrEIw

Sarcasm the elf
11-13-2013, 13:47
Here's the idea. If everyone brought a mouse trap with them, and a little bait, we could put a substantial dent in the shelter mouse population. But I feel maybe I'm missing something.

It would be futile to try and control the population using traps, kind of like trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun. Besides, I venture onto the A.T. With the intention of hiking, not the intention of killing animals. I'll save hunting for hunting season.

Slo-go'en
11-13-2013, 13:47
I've followed behind hikers who used mouse traps. So long as your a day or two behind them, it's great. But please dispose of your kills properly. Leaving them in front of the shelter for people to step on isn't nice, nor is stringing them up for display.

illabelle
11-13-2013, 13:50
That's a pretty serious infestation, RS! But I gotta wonder if there's a giant unprotected food source (like a grain silo) somewhere nearby. It's not like they eat dirt. Or maybe the video is staged.

rocketsocks
11-13-2013, 13:55
That's a pretty serious infestation, RS! But I gotta wonder if there's a giant unprotected food source (like a grain silo) somewhere nearby. It's not like they eat dirt. Or maybe the video is staged.

Holy Hanta!

Yeah no doubt something is keeping them going.

BobTheBuilder
11-13-2013, 13:59
If you kill them, you gotta eat them. Otherwise leave them alone. It's the only ethical solution.

Starchild
11-13-2013, 14:00
I didn't have any problem with them from Georgia to Maine, though perhaps in other places I have yet to visit. Perhaps if some hiked with a cat instead of insisting on hiking with a dog any issue with mice would be long gone.

ChuckT
11-13-2013, 14:23
If you kill them, you gotta eat them. Otherwise leave them alone. It's the only ethical solution.
Ethical? Mouses got no ethics!
Cvt

Tipi Walter
11-13-2013, 14:34

The keyword is not "mouse" but "shelter". I'd do all in my power to avoid camping in or near a trail shelter.

fiddlehead
11-13-2013, 15:06
I agree with the idea of mouse traps in shelters.
But, I carried them on one of my thrus and found out that many people get upset.
Yes, in a way it's man trying to control nature (which almost never works too good), but the mice wouldn't be coming to the sheters in droves if they couldn't get anything to eat from the hikers.

A good idea might be to come up with the right recipe for them that's simple to do on a backpacking stove.
Skinning them would take too much time though.
Farley Mowatt is a good read here.

Tri-Pod Bob
11-13-2013, 20:07
For survival consuming only, IMHO.....though I will admit that I have eaten rats & bats in the Far East & "tree rats" are in my plate on a fairly regular basis. Anyway, you don't have to skin 'em.......just gut, rinse if you want to, shish-ka-bob a few on a greenwood stick & put them over a fire. The flames will burn off the fur & most of the tail. The flames also get rid of carry-on parasites that are present. Always be sure to cook any small rodent (incl. squirrels) to "well done"......the outside will be blackened & crisp. The bones are small enough to eat....including the skull if you choose. The bone marrow & brain are important survival foods.

Rasty
11-13-2013, 20:11

Invasive species?

78owl
11-13-2013, 20:44
Invasive species?

Humans or mice??

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2013, 21:10
I was trying not to post.... I tried .... Oh nevermind...

Last week we have a building to clear and although as a group the company can use Tarad-3 Vitamin D blocks which kills mice.. The vitamin overwhelms the liver in a few days of consuming the bird seed & lard they drop. Keep in mind a small amount of something healthy in large amounts will kill you including water. (Hydrolosis) In one hour we clear a cockatoo bird house of mice by placing 100 snaps with a proprietary food attractant and the birds loved the show... I almost went deaf with "Hello" and screams of "Who" and "Pretty Bird" The next morning we cleared the bodies. The birds were very happy. My point is you can control or knock down if you think much bigger.

http://www.belllabs.com/product_details/united-states-pest-control-terad3-blox

aficion
11-13-2013, 21:29
I agree with the idea of mouse traps in shelters.
But, I carried them on one of my thrus and found out that many people get upset.
Yes, in a way it's man trying to control nature (which almost never works too good), but the mice wouldn't be coming to the sheters in droves if they couldn't get anything to eat from the hikers.

A good idea might be to come up with the right recipe for them that's simple to do on a backpacking stove.
Skinning them would take too much time though.
Farley Mowatt is a good read here.

King Rat is a good read.

hikerboy57
11-13-2013, 21:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTOppsw9Gs

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2013, 21:31
So is Lord of the Flies.

Rasty
11-14-2013, 00:15
Humans or mice??

Yes.......

Mountain Mike
11-14-2013, 01:38
Just think of the next wave of mice!24847

fiddlehead
11-14-2013, 05:16
King Rat is a good read.

I was thinking "Never Cry Wolf" but, yes King Rat is a good read too.

illabelle
11-14-2013, 06:37
this is the new breed of rodent that is evolving.