PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola Falls to Woody Gap

Jeeper
11-13-2013, 12:31
I am going down to Florida from Ohio to meet up with a buddy to hike on the Florida Trail. Since I will be passing by Springer on the way I thought it would be cool to do a 2 night trip since I haven't been that far south on the AT. Hopefully getting a shuttle froom Woody Gap to Amicalola on 11/24/13.

After lots of reading I decided to do the Approach Trail to see the falls. Problem is I might be getting to the trailhead around 4PM or so. I notice that the Black Gap Shelter is 7.3 miles from the TH. Some of the videos and trail journals I have read stated that the Approach Trail took 5-6 hours to complete. So I am fine with getting to camp at 10PM or so, I don't have a Topo of the area yet so that might help explain the time. I usually average 2.5-3 mph on the "hilly" trails around Ohio and will have a pack under 20 pounds. Does it take that long or are those slower people?

After staying at Black Mountain Shelter I would like to do 12-15 miles one the second day but that would put me around Justus Creek area but I haven't found a shelter close to there except for Gooch Mountain Shelter which would be 17-18 miles. Anything in the Cooper Gap to Gooch Gap range? I noticed that Gooch Mountain Shelter is 14.9 miles from Springer, that might work.

I am trying to figure out where water aslo, I know I will carry my water in for the first night and can get water at Stover Creek in the morning. Then at Three Forks, Hawk Mountain Shelter, Justus Creek and then all the way to the Gooch Mountain Shelter. Any water sources on th way up to Black Gap Shelter?

Any other hints or thing to look out for, possibly do the side trip to Long Creek Falls

I just found this on the Georgia ATC site. I guess I should do research before I make posts.

Black Mountain
Good

4/6/13

Black Gap Shelter
Good

5/20/13

Springer Shelter
Good

5/21/13

Davis Creek
Good

4/6/13

Stover Creek
(2 crossings)
11.3 & 11.5
Good

6/2/13

Stover Creek Shelter
Good

6/2/13

Three Forks
Good

4/8/13

Hawk Mountain Shelter
Good

6/1/13

Justus Creek
Good

6/1/13

Blackwell Creek
Good

6/1/13

Gooch Shelter
Good

6/3/13

Gooch Gap (North FS42>0.1mile)
Good

6/3/13

Woody Gap Spring
Good

6/9/13

max patch
11-13-2013, 13:17
It will be dark at 5:30 when you hike. You won't make it to Black Gap Shelter.

Ignore the "status" of the various water sources. That information 4-6 months ago.

There is a shelter at AFSP right at the start. You could stay there the first nite.

There is a large flat area at Cooper Gap that you can camp at. No water.

Justus Creek is a great spot to camp.

max patch
11-13-2013, 13:57
Just a thot, but personally I wouldn't want to screw around with the hassle of a shuttle for a 2 day hike. I'd do an out and back. You'll be pretty close to all of the trailheads in GA.

Jeeper
11-13-2013, 15:00
I basically have time for 30 miles (arriving late day 1 and would like to leave early day 3). So either it will be Amicalola to Woody or Springer to Neels. Opinions?

generoll
11-13-2013, 18:54
the hike will be easier from Springer to Neels. The shuttle will likely be less expensive from Woody to Amicalola. It's not required to stay at any shelter, so camp where you feel like it.

Jeeper
11-14-2013, 10:50
What if I got dropped off at Springer then and went to Stover Creek Shelter or night hiked to Hawk Mountain for the first night and then stopped at Neels. Sounds like the hike from Springer to Hawk is pretty easy so I could do that at night, plus I would be itching to hike once I got there. I am trying to be able to get down there earlier to get some more time in before sunset.

marti038
11-14-2013, 10:51
I basically have time for 30 miles (arriving late day 1 and would like to leave early day 3). So either it will be Amicalola to Woody or Springer to Neels. Opinions?

If you want scenery, start at Springer and hike to Neel's.

If you think you'll want to do the approach trail at some point and want to knock it out, start at Amicalola and hike to Woody.

Keep in mind that the falls are at the very beginning of the approach trail. You can basically drive right up to them. Between the falls and Springer, there's not a lot to see on the approach trail, IMHO. Then again, I've only hiked it in the summer, so there may be more to see in November assuming most of the leaves have fallen.

I'm glad to see that you are 27. This is an ambitious schedule, but it is manageable.

Jeeper
11-14-2013, 10:54
the hike will be easier from Springer to Neels. The shuttle will likely be less expensive from Woody to Amicalola. It's not required to stay at any shelter, so camp where you feel like it.

Generoll, you came recommend for a shuttle. I would like to do a section versus in and out. Let me know if you are available for a shuttle that day and PM me your rates if you can.

MuddyWaters
11-14-2013, 20:44
What if I got dropped off at Springer then and went to Stover Creek Shelter or night hiked to Hawk Mountain for the first night and then stopped at Neels. Sounds like the hike from Springer to Hawk is pretty easy so I could do that at night, plus I would be itching to hike once I got there. I am trying to be able to get down there earlier to get some more time in before sunset.

Yeah, that area is easy. Its all gently down hill to stover, that literally flys by.

The creek crossing at stover might be confusing at night, and the three forks area might as well, theres a couple trails there, and the AT has BMT blazes.

I met one old guy in the spring that said he went the wrong way for a long way at 3forks.

glenlawson
11-17-2013, 19:52
Have you considered the opposite direction? You could start at Woody, hike in the dark to Gooch Gap (not bad, I've done it) and then have about 27 miles left over the next two days. You could go 2 more miles to the Gooch Shelter if you like. Plenty of water on this section except between Hawk Mtn and Justus Creek.

I'd also be a little reluctant about night hiking from Springer parking lot to Stover. I think you'd want to go over Spring in the daylight and it is a mile south of the parking lot.

What about using Hiker Hostel as your shuttle? You could stay there the 3rd night and they are about 20 minutes from Woody and 45 minutes from Amicalola.

Jeeper
11-17-2013, 22:46
Trying to get down there earlier in the day, so hopefully I can get a better start on the day. Hard to get to the trailhead early when it's 7 hours away.

Jeeper
11-23-2013, 21:30
Leaving at 5 am tomorrow to get to the trail head by noon. Pretty excited, my assumption us correct that I probably won't be alone at a shelter.