PDA

View Full Version : Using a tarp on the AT?

TwoForty
08-22-2005, 21:04
I have a used an 8x10 silny tarp a few times and I am thinking about using on a 2 week trip along the AT. I just have a few questions.

Do you ever get tired of hiking all day and then having to setup a tarp with trekking poles, in the wind and rain, by youself? A tent takes about as long, but it sure is easier.

It's a flat tarp and doesn't so great in the wind. How much of your tenting/tarping is in heavy winds (think Max Patch)?

Would an 8x10 in A frame mode normally fit on most "campsites?"

Thanks!

Programbo
08-22-2005, 21:16
I did the tarp thing way back when because tents were much heavier and bulkier then..And I can say that except under ideal conditions the tarp totally bit the big one...The smaller self supporting tents are so light now and so easy to set up I`d never go the tarp route again

Chip
08-22-2005, 21:29
You can string up the A frame between 2 trees and stake down the sides. This can save some time so you won't have to fool around with trekking poles. If it is windy you can string up low to the ground for a low profile, this might help but it depends how high or low because if too low you won't be able to sit upright (depends on what you need). If it is windy with rain you will probably get wet. If you can get one to close that would be ideal. There are various ways to do this and there are a few books that show how (you might want to check in to). I use a tarp when hiking with my dogs (A frame). The 10' X 12" is long enough for myself and 2 hounds plus my gear. Always string up between 2 trees. Can fold and string the ends to keep out wind & rain. (Crazy Creek Tarp 2lbs).
Good luck!!!;)
Happy Trails,
Chip

Deerleg
08-22-2005, 21:29
I used a tarp about that size while hiking for a week in VA a few years ago in July around the Mt Rogers area. I had one cold night up above 5000 feet but overall it worked well. Mostly I stayed near shelters where there were many good places to set up. Had rain a couple of nights but stayed dry. If it was windy I would try to find a relatively flat spot on the lee side of a ridge and would button the tarp down to the ground on the windward side.

Bob Baker
08-22-2005, 21:30
With all of that weight youre saving by using a silnylon tarp you shouldnt be as tired or could just arrive at camp earlier than everyone else :).

TwoForty
08-22-2005, 21:36
I did the tarp thing way back when because tents were much heavier and bulkier then..And I can say that except under ideal conditions the tarp totally bit the big one...The smaller self supporting tents are so light now and so easy to set up I`d never go the tarp route again
That is what I am afraid of. I have had great luck in the woods where it is calm, but on a high wooded ridge or on a bald (most of the AT!), I always get a nice "mist" coming in with the fog.

Chip
08-22-2005, 21:41
That is what I am afraid of. I have had great luck in the woods where it is calm, but on a high wooded ridge or on a bald (most of the AT!), I always get a nice "mist" coming in with the fog.
There are several single wall tents on the market that are lightweight and go up fast.

NotYet
08-22-2005, 22:18
I love using a tarp! I have a simple rectangular tarp, and I generally set up an A-frame. I usually use 2 trees or one tree and a trekking pole (rarely have I resorted to having to use two poles...but I don't usually camp out in the open).

If you put the tarp up well, you can stay very dry and comfortable. In fact, I think putting up a tarp in the rain is much faster, easier and dryer than trying to erect a tent under the same conditions. Also, when packing up in the rain, everything stays dry except the tarp.

I've been using a tarp almost exclusively for the past 9 years when on backpacking trips in all seasons, and I find that the benefits are far greater than the drawbacks (which for me are mainly bugs).

TwoForty
08-22-2005, 22:37
Yeah, I love setting it up in the rain and then taking it down. Packing a wet fly with a dry tent sucks becuase it all gets wet. Hard to keep it dry when putting it up too.

I think I'll give it one more try this fall.

Youngblood
08-22-2005, 23:16
I use a hammock with my tarp these days. If you are solo, it adds a little weight if you use the same size tarp and maybe not much at all it you skimp on tarp size. I personally don't like to skimp on tarp size but plenty of people do and are happy with it (they just don't know any better :) ). With the smaller tarps you have to be 'up in' the tarp more for rain coverage and don't have as much moving around space. But in the right conditions and a comfortable hammock, it is pretty sweet camping... you can get the same great view of the surroundings as with a tarp but better since you are elevated by a couple of feet.

Youngblood

tlbj6142
08-23-2005, 09:35
Consider a www.cattarp.com (http://www.cattarp.com) as they are significantly easier to setup than a flat tarp. But, as with most things, practice makes perfect.

I actually enjoy the time it takes to setup my tarp (or hammock if I go that route). It makes a good cool down period. Its probably my favorite part of "camp" next to leaving.:D

I own a CatTarp 1.0 (they are on close-out), its a bit small (well, actually, low is a better term) when I have to close everything up due to blowing rain, but for most nights I pitch it quite high.

Sly
08-23-2005, 12:13
An ID silshelter tarp is simple to set up, even in high winds. Four stakes, add your hiking pole and one more stake (2) for each flap. One minute!

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=729

TwoForty
08-23-2005, 17:45
An ID silshelter tarp is simple to set up, even in high winds. Four stakes, add your hiking pole and one more stake (2) for each flap. One minute!

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=729That's pretty cool. I bet you could stake it out, crawl inside, and then raise it up!

I was looking at the Tacoma Solo Tarp from www.trailquest.com (http://www.trailquest.com)
It looks like a real easy pitch. Stake the corners and raise two poles. As for now, the 8x10 provides plenty of coverage. The only downside I can see is if it's flapping at night or if there is fog.

Cheesewhiz
08-23-2005, 18:09
I use my tarp frequently with minimal moisture problems with this set up and I use my pole for extra headroom. http://hikinghq.net/images/SA72002b/SA72002b%20018.jpg

Once again thanks Sarge!

Cheesewhiz
08-23-2005, 18:10
However, for next years thru-hike I am planning to carry my Tarptent Squall as a solo tent, the one with the bathtub floor.

stupe
08-23-2005, 18:17
When sleeping on the ground, here's my 10 by 10 tarp method - just tie one corner to a tree and pin down the other three corners. Done. Carry lots of parachute cord, and you can rig it at some distance from a tree. ( Although the further from the tree, the higher up you have to tie the corner, maybe even have to toss a line over a branch, ala bear bag. Just make sure the open side is facing south, or away from prevailing winds.
If I can't find a suitable tree, or any tree at all, I use hiking poles, picnic tables, whatever it takes. I've done the same thing with my homemade 8.5 by 11 foot tarp. I designed it for hanging between two trees when hammocking, but I can't sleep in a hammock. I feel helpless, like I'm a pinata. Call me paranoid, but when I leave this world, I don't want it to be because of fiesta going children with sticks.
If it rains at night, you're going to pack at least one wet thing, tarp or tent. I'd rather strike and pack a wet tarp.

Rambler
08-23-2005, 18:57
Ditto to those who said they use trees often instead of hiking poles. Also, an 8x10 tarp is spacious for two, but think of going smaller if alone. I like the Cattarp as mentioned above, but also the smaller tarps from Golite like the Cave 1 that has beaks which help block wind and keep out the cold. This time of year gamble for having only a few days of rain and few bugs. A smaller tarp is fine, and plan on staying in a shelter or two, especially if the weather turns bad.

Footslogger
08-23-2005, 19:42
[QUOTE=Rambler]I like the Cattarp as mentioned above, but also the smaller tarps from Golite like the Cave 1 that has beaks which help block wind and keep out the cold.
==========================================
Can't speak for the Cattarp but I bought one and carried it for a while on my thru in 2003. Used it with an OR bug bivy and it worked out OK but that "beak" on the front doesn't come down very far or cover much. The saving grace is that the back end is completely enclosed. Also, to get a good pitch with something like the Golite Cave you need quite a few stakes/stakeout points.

'Slogger

TwoForty
08-23-2005, 21:14
[QUOTE=Rambler]I like the Cattarp as mentioned above, but also the smaller tarps from Golite like the Cave 1 that has beaks which help block wind and keep out the cold.
==========================================
Can't speak for the Cattarp but I bought one and carried it for a while on my thru in 2003. Used it with an OR bug bivy and it worked out OK but that "beak" on the front doesn't come down very far or cover much. The saving grace is that the back end is completely enclosed. Also, to get a good pitch with something like the Golite Cave you need quite a few stakes/stakeout points.

'SloggerI just bought the OR Bug Bivy. How did it work for you? I never get clostrophobic, but I may want a bit more room for when I am just sitting around reading/writing before I go to sleep. I was gonna get the Cave 1, but it was a little pricey for me at the time.

Footslogger
08-23-2005, 21:51
[QUOTE=TwoForty]I just bought the OR Bug Bivy. How did it work for you?
=======================================
The OR Bug Bivy worked great. I carried it pretty much all throughout Virginia in 2003. Couldn't have been happier or more comfortable for an 11 ounce shelter. There were some warm nights when I didn't even set up the tarp ...just slept under the stars in the Bug Bivy. I'm 5'10" and had more than enough room for my sleeping bag and there was still space above my head for my night "stuff". What I liked the most was that the hoop kept the upper part away from my head. The bugs were buzzing around me like I was a sugar cube but I never had one get inside. I used a 3/4 ultralight thermarest pad for ground comfort. There was plenty of room under the Cave I for the Bug Bivy and my backpack.

When I got home from my thru-hike my wife decided she like it too so we got another one. Not sure if you're aware but OR makes a "double bug bivy". Exact same design but twice the floor space. You have to call or e-mail OR to get a quote on one. They have them in inventory but don't actively market them any more. Guess they weren't a big seller.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

'Slogger

chowhound
08-24-2005, 16:06
I use a Dancing Light Tacoma Tarp, and like it a lot. I've got the 10' version with built in bug screen, and have had no bug problems. If pitched high for ventilation you do need to weigh down the screen with sticks, boots, rocks, etc. It has also done well in heavy rain. The only real concern that I have with it is a high wind in an exposed location. If the wind came in from the front I would be worried that it might turn into a kite.

Traction
08-30-2005, 23:59
I used a 5x8 foot integral designs silnylon tarp for my thru hike this year and it was amazing.. You can even get by without stakes, which cuts out a ton of weight (yes.. those titanium stakes do weigh something).. just look around.. there are plenty of sticks out there. I just had some p-cord.. (two 6 foot sections) and my trekking poles.. got rid of the stuff sack too as I found I could just stuff the tarp in the outside mesh pocket of my pack (golite jam) to let it drip dry during the day. As others have said, I often didn't even need my trekking poles to set it up... though one came in handy... So, go with the 5x8 silnylon tarp with no stakes and you're lookin' at an awesome shelter at only 6oz. It's sturdy, and dry too.. But, it is a little tight.. Though I'm 6 feet tall and I stayed dry.. Just don't expect to be sitting up in it... Which, for me wasn't a problem.. As, I hiked until I was tired.. which meant if it was raining I kept hiking.. I only stopped when I wanted to sleep.. And, I don't sleep sitting up.. so it worked great. In other words it's not a shelter to get out of the rain in and wait out the storm or something.. It's meant to keep you dry while you sleep and that's about it. ;)