PDA

View Full Version : Newb Questions - Please Help

MississipVol
11-13-2013, 12:47
I plan to section hike a few nights along the AT in the GSMNP in June of next year with a couple buddies of mine. I have hiked in the GSMNP before and have done some primitive camping with my family several times (but all car camping) so this will be my very first multi-day backpacking trip in the backcountry of the Smoky Mountains.

This being all our first trip, we plan to take our time and enjoy the sights. We are looking to start at Newfound Gap and stay at Peck's Corner, Tri-Corner Knob, and Cosby Knob before hiking out on day four. This means we only have daily mileages of app. 9.4, 5.7, 7.7, and 8.6 miles.

So here are my questions and I appreciate your patience if any of these are really dumb: :)

1. Is early-mid June a good time to section hike? Can we expect crowded shelters? Will we have trouble making reservations? Will we possibly see a lot of bears?

2. I've looked at pictures of the shelters online (and I've seen a couple on day hikes). Are the little tables on the outside for cooking or is that too close to the shelter? Are the mice really that bad? (i am fine but one of my friends would probably cancel if he read some of the posts on here) Also, do most people only hang just their food bag or their whole backpack?

3. I plan to pack everything out but saw a picture of one shelter online that appeared to have a garbage bin there. Do some of shelters have them?

4. I've read some posts on here saying they don't allow hammocks in the shelters but online I see tons of hammocks strung in the shelters. How is this really enforced? I would rather have a hammock I could hang than sleep on the bunks but I don't want to get in trouble.

5. Any protocols I should be aware of as a newb along the AT or in a shelter? I just want to respect the hike and not embarrass myself out there.

Thanks for any input. I am learning a lot already from reading other posts!

MississipVol
11-13-2013, 22:58
Wow. 69 views and no replies? I know I wrote a book but does no one have any advice for me??

hikerboy57
11-13-2013, 23:05
well the answer to most of your questions is yes.
except for garbage bins at shelters. you pack out what you pack in, period.and no,you cant hang in a shelter.reservations are easy to get on line.mice do enjoy shelters,many people cook at or in front of the shelter. and you may never see a bear.
the answer to all your questions may also be no.

Rasty
11-13-2013, 23:13
I plan to section hike a few nights along the AT in the GSMNP in June of next year with a couple buddies of mine. I have hiked in the GSMNP before and have done some primitive camping with my family several times (but all car camping) so this will be my very first multi-day backpacking trip in the backcountry of the Smoky Mountains.

This being all our first trip, we plan to take our time and enjoy the sights. We are looking to start at Newfound Gap and stay at Peck's Corner, Tri-Corner Knob, and Cosby Knob before hiking out on day four. This means we only have daily mileages of app. 9.4, 5.7, 7.7, and 8.6 miles.

So here are my questions and I appreciate your patience if any of these are really dumb: :)

1. Is early-mid June a good time to section hike? Can we expect crowded shelters? Will we have trouble making reservations? Will we possibly see a lot of bears?

Yes but can be hot. Yes. No. Maybe?

2. I've looked at pictures of the shelters online (and I've seen a couple on day hikes). Are the little tables on the outside for cooking or is that too close to the shelter? Are the mice really that bad? (i am fine but one of my friends would probably cancel if he read some of the posts on here) Also, do most people only hang just their food bag or their whole backpack?

Yes. No. Hang Food.

3. I plan to pack everything out but saw a picture of one shelter online that appeared to have a garbage bin there. Do some of shelters have them?

Pack out everything.

4. I've read some posts on here saying they don't allow hammocks in the shelters but online I see tons of hammocks strung in the shelters. How is this really enforced? I would rather have a hammock I could hang than sleep on the bunks but I don't want to get in trouble.

Not officially.

5. Any protocols I should be aware of as a newb along the AT or in a shelter? I just want to respect the hike and not embarrass myself out there.

Don't feed the thru hikers, it encourages them.

Thanks for any input. I am learning a lot already from reading other posts!

Answers above

map man
11-13-2013, 23:13
:welcome

Welcome to Whiteblaze.

1) Park workers are more likely to close certain shelters due to bear activity in the fall -- it would be more unusual in the summer.

3) Don't expect to find garbage cans at shelters.

4) Don't put up your hammock in a shelter -- resign yourself to sleeping on a hard wood surface in the shelter.

I hope you and your buddies have a great hike!

MississipVol
11-14-2013, 00:27
Thanks for all of your replies! It really is helpful.

Tomf32541
01-01-2014, 21:55
I did the same hike in May 2013. Shelters get max'd out so get reservations 30 days out. Ridge runner Billy was checking everyone's reservation. Never saw any wildlife and the mice weren't too bad. Nice section hike that was pretty easy to do.

blackwater slim
01-05-2014, 22:38
Where in Mississippi are you?

Dogwood
01-05-2014, 23:53

Primitive CAR CAMPING? That's a new one for me. :)

QUESTION?: On day 4 from Cosby Knob Shelter where are you planning on hiking out to? ie; what's the last day going home(?) intended scenario? I'm asking that because you said you all want to "enjoy(see) the sights." There are some really cool scenic sights near Ice Water Spring Shelter(Jump Off, Sweet Heifer Cascades, Charles Bunion). All those sights could easily be experienced if you stay the first night at Icewater Spring Shelter in a rather unhurried first day IF you get a decently early start. Days are LONG in June. Why the biggest mileage day of the trip the first day up a rather steep grade from Newfound Gap? Followed up by the almost 1/2 that the second day? Are you planning something scenic by only going 5.7 miles the second day and staying at Tri Corner Knob Shelter on night 2? Personally, I think in June with a mid morn start from Pecks Corner you're party is going to get to Tri Corner in early afternoon wondering if you should have gone further or adopted a differnt hiking agenda from the onset. Have you considered experiencing another scenic sight in this AT stretch - Cammerer Lookout?

We're all dumb and smart to some degree so no need to feel that way. :)

The AT thru-hikers will be through by that time so you will not have to compete with them for those shelter spots, HOWEVER, the AT through GSMNP is the most hiked, or one of the most hiked, trails in the GSMNP. As a result, the AT shelters in the GSMNP are heavily in demand. So many backpackers/hikers just love lean-tos! June is a busy time for GSMNP. Weekends and Holidays more so than weekdays. Plan accordingly! In June, not likely you will be alone at any of the AT shelters you listed. That should cover the answer to question #4. NO, you are not entitled to anymore space than one individual per person in an AT shelter. Don't even assume you are entitled to hang a hammock in a shelter in June in GSMNP. However if you want to drape a not hung hammock over you for some reason no problema BUT REMEMBER one person gets one person's allotted space to cowboy camp in a shelter(basically lay out your stretched out sleeping bag from back to front of shelter taking up about 30" width). There are some hikers who may get to AT Shelters in GSMNP in June long after dark that have reservations to stay at the shelter you too have a reservation for!

Different shelters can have slightly different designs. I believe all those shelters you mentioned have cooking areas, usually a built in table or outside bench/shelf, etc. Some AT shelters have more of a mice running around issue than other shelters. Since I already told you how popular AT shelters are in GSMNP what might that tell you? Hang everything safely that has a scent that might attract animals. All those shelters will have places to hang your backpacks or food bags. It's your call on what you want to hang BUT REMEMBER what you do has an effect on others including the behavior of wildlife.

Don't count on it. 99.9 % of the time NO garbage cans. Pack it in. Pack it out

Already answered. Even if the NP Rangers didn't see you hanging a hammock in June in those shelters or allowed it I would NOT allow you to do so. It's disrespectful to others in the shelter! You brought a hammock as shelter. USE it OUTSIDE or cowboy in the shelter. You don't get it both ways. Middle of winter during a weekday in a snowstorm when NO ONE else was using the shelter and it might be a different story.

Everyone seems to have their own protocols/suggestions/opinions but just be considerate to others and treat them as you would expect to be treated and work out the rest as you go along. Backpackers are usually amenable people.

MississipVol
03-04-2014, 01:05
I haven't checked back to read this thread in a while so sorry I haven't responded to the more recent feedback. Blackwater - I am in Tupelo.

Dogwood - thanks for the detailed information. As far as primitive car camping - that is camping at a primitive camping site you can pull your car up to. So no electricity and no running water but you don't have to hike out to it. Pretty non-adventuresome for sure but it had been my experience so far. However, recently I took my son on a 3-mile backpacking trip into a remote area in the wilderness. It was out first true backpacking overnighter and it was awesome!

I appreciate your advice on splitting up the hike and could have used it earlier. But we decided to do just as you suggested because there is so much to see that first day. We are just going to do a short hike out to the Icewater shelter after a early lunch and take an extra day. Also, after doing some more reading I have ruled out the hammock in the shelter but just didn't know that at the time I posted my OP. I will still have it with me just in case I have to use it outside a shelter but will be using my pad and topquilt in the shelter otherwise.

Thanks again!