PDA

View Full Version : Winter Gear Worries...

alexandra
11-13-2013, 14:11
Hello everyone!

After gathering all my gear I'm still a little apprehensive about my winter layering system. I'm mainly worried about my synthetic jacket (is it enough). I have my base layers, silk long sleeve shirt, and a capilene 3 zip LS to go over. As of now I have an Arc'teryx women's atom LT jacket (no hood). I love the jacket but will it be enough when not hiking and at camp? Has anyone thru'ed in one of these? I have my outer shell to go over (outdoor research Aspire).

** I'm hoping to swap out the capilene for a smart wool LS zip shirt.

I've lived in FL for 5 years and am not used to anything below freezing anymore hence my worries...

More info on the jackets:
Arc'teryx-->http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=womens&category=Mid_Layer&model=Atom-LT-Jacket-W

OR--> http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/jackets/womens-aspire-jacket-32699.html

alexandra
11-13-2013, 14:19
Let me add I'm starting my thru March 1st

10-K
11-13-2013, 14:21
If at all possible I would suggest going on some cold weather hikes to see what works. That's the only way to figure it out after a certain point. Sounds like you've got the basics - add a wool cap and some mittens and go hiking. :)

alexandra
11-13-2013, 14:27
If at all possible I would suggest going on some cold weather hikes to see what works. That's the only way to figure it out after a certain point. Sounds like you've got the basics - add a wool cap and some mittens and go hiking. :)

Thank you,

Yes I have a balaclava and gloves, forgot to add those

just worried about the synthetic jacket :/ You're right the only way to know is test it. It's going down to the 40's tonight, might be the closest I get for a while lol.

10-K
11-13-2013, 14:39
I see you're in Jacksonville. May I suggest the Pinhoti (Alabama) or Foothills Trail (South Carolina) as great places to test out your gear before you attempt a thru? I hiked the Pinhoti trail in January last year and saw a bit of snow and cold temps - but not so frigid that I couldn't have coped if I had not had enough cold weather gear.

Tipi Walter
11-13-2013, 14:44
I wouldn't head out into the mountains of Georgia or North Carolina on March 1st without my entire winter kit. But then, I like to stay warm in all conditions. I won't bore ya with the whole list, but I recommend bringing a beefy down jacket and NOT one of those "puffies" so popular nowadays. Something like a Western Mountaineering Meltdown. A good lightweight down parka is designed to keep your torso warm which is the name of the game. You of course will not wear this item while hiking---too hot---but at all other times it's great.

Dogwood
11-13-2013, 14:46
...silk long sleeve shirt, capilene 3 zip LS to go over. As of now I have an Arc'teryx women's atom LT jacket (no hood). I love the jacket but will it be enough when not hiking and camp? I have my outer shell to go over (outdoor research Aspire).

I think you have the torso covered nicely with the two base layers, AT Atom softshell, and the hardshell OR Aspire both for hiking and for in camp for your start date. Of course. you'll want to adjust as the hike progresses. Ditto the beanie/(balalava(good for the start!) and gloves/mittens rec. You'll have good torso layering combos for hiking and in camp with that set-up. Let's hear about your bottom half apparel.

alexandra
11-13-2013, 14:50
I wouldn't head out into the mountains of Georgia or North Carolina on March 1st without my entire winter kit. But then, I like to stay warm in all conditions. I won't bore ya with the whole list, but I recommend bringing a beefy down jacket and NOT one of those "puffies" so popular nowadays. Something like a Western Mountaineering Meltdown. A good lightweight down parka is designed to keep your torso warm which is the name of the game. You of course will not wear this item while hiking---too hot---but at all other times it's great.

Yeah, I've been so confused looking at gear list. Some venture out with a Patagonia nano puff jacket ( or something similar) other's go with a nice down jacket. I am worried about camp and not warmth during performance. I guess my best guess is to find a down jacket and send it home if need be.

I'm with you.. rather be warm than cold. Trying to figure out the most cost effective way.

Dogwood
11-13-2013, 14:52
Alexandra, you're going about it well, IMO. Think cumulatively for total warmth in camp and IF needed at other times. You don't need to look at warmth from a single torso piece perspective. You're wrapping yourself up as a package that can include many different things to obtain warmth.

10-K
11-13-2013, 15:02

alexandra
11-13-2013, 15:06
...silk long sleeve shirt, capilene 3 zip LS to go over. As of now I have an Arc'teryx women's atom LT jacket (no hood). I love the jacket but will it be enough when not hiking and camp? I have my outer shell to go over (outdoor research Aspire).

I think you have the torso covered nicely with the two base layers, AT Atom softshell, and the hardshell OR Aspire both for hiking and for in camp for your start date. Of course. you'll want to adjust as the hike progresses. Ditto the beanie/(balalava(good for the start!) and gloves/mittens rec. You'll have good torso layering combos for hiking and in camp with that set-up. Let's hear about your bottom half apparel.

Ahh you're making me feel better.... And I understand what you are saying about "wrapping up the whole package." For the bottom half I have a pair of NF long underwear (http://www.rei.com/product/837168/the-north-face-warm-long-underwear-tights-womens). and Nylon hiking pants (columbia) to wear over.. and then Merino wool socks (1-2 pairs) and liner.

I used to be confident about cold weather when I lived in Maryland, but I feel almost clueless now-a-days... and on top of it I'm trying like everyone else to monitor what exactly I'm carrying.

alexandra
11-13-2013, 15:08

I'm trying to get my thru partner and myself organized to do a winter shake down hike early December, I will add these places to my list! I appreciate the recommendations. I'm having a hard time finding the time to get out for more than a few days, it seems that work always gets in the way...

ChinMusic
11-13-2013, 15:13
For a shakedown hike, just take a bit more clothing than you think you need. You will quickly find out what you don't need. Don't try to be too fine with your weight on the shakedown. As 10-K said, the trail is the best teacher.

jeffmeh
11-13-2013, 15:50
Alexandra, you're going about it well, IMO. Think cumulatively for total warmth in camp and IF needed at other times. You don't need to look at warmth from a single torso piece perspective. You're wrapping yourself up as a package that can include many different things to obtain warmth.

This. You want your layers to be such that you can put them all on without constriction, and that should be suitable for the coldest likely day. That means make sure the outer layers are large enough to wear over your inner layers.

Same goes for the sleeping system. While a bag with extra air space is more difficult to heat up, if you can wear layers inside it without compressing anything you have effectively used a warmer sleeping system. That is one of the advantages of quilts, as if it is large enough you can effectively adjust the amount of free space based upon what you are wearing.

If it gets colder than the coldest likely day, build a fire if possible, or get into your sleeping system after you are well fed. A nalgene or the like that can handle hot water to bring into your sleeping bag is not a bad idea either.

rocketsocks
11-13-2013, 19:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e58SiFSxLs#t=12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e58SiFSxLs#t=12 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e58SiFSxLs#t=12)

hikerboy57
11-13-2013, 19:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e58SiFSxLs#t=12 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e58SiFSxLs#t=12)[/QUOTE]

hikerboy likes it

rocketsocks
11-13-2013, 19:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e58SiFSxLs#t=12 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e58SiFSxLs#t=12)

hikerboy likes it[/QUOTE]

Third..............

alexandra
12-01-2013, 14:13
Thanks everyone for your help. So I sat on the idea of sticking with my current jacket.... I got super lucky and found a Mountain Hardwear Down Ghost Whisperer Jacket on sale $300--> I paid $129. I couldn't pass it up. After the fact I feel a lot more comfortable having this jacket at camp. AND i knocked off a few ounces as the jacket only weighs 6 oz or so.

Del Q
12-01-2013, 14:27
I had the pleasure of meeting and hiking with TREK a few times, he carries like 22 lbs, with food & water, what I noticed that AS SOON as he pitched his tent or hanging in the shelter, he immediately got into his sleeping bag. That is also where I started with no cook mode.

While hiking I say plenty warm, layer up during breaks, end the day by getting into my sleeping bag ASAP, which is in effect a great down jacket. I was carrying too many clothes and realized this was an area that I could save some significant weight.

Also learned, MUCH EASIER TO STAY WARM THAN GET WARM = into sleeping bag ASAP and start eating.

Not sure if this helps or not.

George
12-01-2013, 15:28
AS SOON as he pitched his tent or hanging in the shelter, he immediately got into his sleeping bag.

, MUCH EASIER TO STAY WARM THAN GET WARM = into sleeping bag ASAP and start eating.

if you want to keep the weight reasonable for winter, this is the strategy - on the colder days there will be no hanging out in camp outside the bag - I even often get into the bag for lunch stops - if things really get foul on a winter trip, the sleeping bag is what will save your bacon so IMO that is where to put the resources ( weight and $$$ )

even in other seasons, I rely on the bag for the colder days instead of hauling seldom used extra clothing

T.S.Kobzol
12-01-2013, 17:32
it probably packs into it's own pocket - in which case it will be a nice pillow at night.

Have a good hike.

Thanks everyone for your help. So I sat on the idea of sticking with my current jacket.... I got super lucky and found a Mountain Hardwear Down Ghost Whisperer Jacket on sale $300--> I paid $129. I couldn't pass it up. After the fact I feel a lot more comfortable having this jacket at camp. AND i knocked off a few ounces as the jacket only weighs 6 oz or so.

Blissful
12-08-2013, 20:58
Glad you got the down jacket, you'll need it.

Drybones
12-09-2013, 10:25
I see you're in Jacksonville. May I suggest the Pinhoti (Alabama) or Foothills Trail (South Carolina) as great places to test out your gear before you attempt a thru? I hiked the Pinhoti trail in January last year and saw a bit of snow and cold temps - but not so frigid that I couldn't have coped if I had not had enough cold weather gear.

Agree with 10-K about field testing. For me the most important pieces are rain/wind gear to protect the upper body and a good sleeping bag to crawl into if you're cold at night.

Subie Love
12-12-2013, 00:50

I recently moved to Jacksonville and was wondering where I can go to test my cold weather gear about before my thru hike. :)

:eek: Nice!

Dogwood
12-12-2013, 01:59
Alexandria, what's your anticipated start date? Tell us about those Columbia nylon pants? What are you anticipating routinely wearing on your bottom half(legs) while hiking at the start? Are all you have planned for your legs for all conditions are the TNF thermal bottoms and Columbia Nylon pants?

Tipi Walter
12-12-2013, 10:16
Yeah, I've been so confused looking at gear list. Some venture out with a Patagonia nano puff jacket ( or something similar) other's go with a nice down jacket. I am worried about camp and not warmth during performance. I guess my best guess is to find a down jacket and send it home if need be.

I'm with you.. rather be warm than cold. Trying to figure out the most cost effective way.

I learned long ago that to stay warm in the deep freeze of winter without expending a bunch of money (i.e. getting a top of the line down bag) comes at the cost of weight and bulk. So, the most cost effective way to survive a winter outdoors comes with weight and bulk. EX: Back in 1981 I spent the winter outside in the NC mountains and did not have the money to get the best sleeping bag so I settled for a decent polarguard bag which cost $65 and used a surplus Army feather bag on top. I stayed warm to below 0F and it was cheap but HEAVY. If you throw enough stuff on top you will stay warm.

I had the pleasure of meeting and hiking with TREK a few times, he carries like 22 lbs, with food & water, what I noticed that AS SOON as he pitched his tent or hanging in the shelter, he immediately got into his sleeping bag.

While hiking I say plenty warm, layer up during breaks, end the day by getting into my sleeping bag ASAP, which is in effect a great down jacket. I was carrying too many clothes and realized this was an area that I could save some significant weight.

Also learned, MUCH EASIER TO STAY WARM THAN GET WARM = into sleeping bag ASAP and start eating.

I would call this system "survival mode". As is---You have no choice but to cocoon up in the only warm item you have---the sleeping bag. For me then my trip gear has reached the limits of its effectiveness, and it dictates my behavior. Sure, you can survive when you're not hiking by living inside a sleeping bag, but the nights are long and there's only so much restricted mvt you can stand.

Are you going to cook every time from inside your bag? Are you going to dig a cathole and dump a turtlehead while wrapped in your sleeping bag? Are you going to leave camp and do a water run wrapped in your sleeping bag? Are you going to stand around a community bonfire in your bag and possibly get it ember-holed? Are you ever gonna be able to leave camp for a dayhike without your sleeping bag? What if you want to go out to a sweet spot to make a 20 minute cell phone call? Will you drag along your sleeping bag? What if you're wrapped outside in your sleeping bag in a wet heavy snow? The bag won't like it.

What if you want to leave the tent to stretch and walk around camp for an hour or two? Will you wear your sleeping bag? What if it gets snagged on briars?

The story of TREK reminded me of a guy I saw in a bivy sac atop a 5,000 foot ridge in the winter. It was 10F at around 5pm and his only warm place was inside his sack, so he inserted himself for the duration. What was the duration of restrictive cocooning? About 15 hours straight. Ugh, not for me. Here's a pic of the poor fellow---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2005/The-Hillebrerg-Nammatj-3-Trip/i-Jj8566X/0/L/51-11-L.jpg
Had he had a beefy down parka and down pants and booties and some decent headwear he would've had more options.

wornoutboots
12-12-2013, 10:28
I understand that you won't be hiking in the Winter but if you decide to do some Winter shakedowns, I suggest practicing with different a few firestarters & fire building techniques.

alexandra
12-16-2013, 00:19
I purchase a pair of icebreaker base layers top and bottoms, but will wear the nylon pants over the base layer. I do have a pair of rain pants which are both waterproof and windproof packed if I need them..

ztbarg01
12-18-2013, 10:14
I'm also planning in bringing my ghost whisperer with me this year for my thru hike. I'm starting about the same time as you too. (March 3) One criticism of the mountain hardware jacket though is that it isn't durable at all... So I would bring some tenacious tape with you for sure. The Atom jacket is one of my favorite jackets but it isn't very compressible. Perfect for day hikes or kicking around town, but not so much for a thru hike in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

The Cleaner
12-18-2013, 11:10
If you have never camped much in below freezing you are in for a very rude awakening. If the cold does not get you the mountain climbs will......

Tipi Walter
12-18-2013, 14:35
If you have never camped much in below freezing you are in for a very rude awakening. If the cold does not get you the mountain climbs will......

The Rude Awakening gets harder every year as I pass into my mid 60's. I was out during the Thanksgiving cold snap and it tore me a brand new bunghole since a couple days before it was 60F and I was carrying a summer bloodstream and then WHAM the single-digit-midgets came and I had to catch up. But a human gets used to the cold if he's out in it enough and by the end of my 19 day trip I was laughing at the cold. The next swaray will be in January so let's all have fun together.

Dogwood
12-18-2013, 14:48
Mar 1 start, layered up nicely on top and bottom halves, have the wool beanie(bacalava), gloves, for extremities, got rain, sleet, snow, wind, sunny days covered. Sounds good to me.:sun Grab some warm socks and Toasty Toes/Graber Foot Warmers sounds good to me.

I suggest doing overnights even if it does only get down to the 30*s in Jville. It'll be less of a cold shock for you once you hit the AT. Just sleeping outside on the lanai, balcony, nearby park, CG, or backyard will pay dividends in acclimating to the weather once on the AT. Sleep in your sleeping bag and tent(shelter) for as many nights as you can pre AT hike. It will familiarize you to the long distance hiking lifestyle and with your gear. Get out and walk/hike(preferably as far inland as you can go, it's colder there) when it's cold in Jville.

It's not all about gear. You don't need to make everything perfect, do everything perfect, and try to know everything to happily and safely hike the AT. Feel comfortable in knowing that you don't need to know everything. DO get comfortable with being able to be flexible and adaptable on your hike! Manage yourself and your hike. Give yourself room to grow. BE happy in knowing that's a BIG part of hiking the AT. Embrace the hike. Enjoy yourself. Have a great journey Subie Love.

The Cleaner
12-18-2013, 14:50
The Rude Awakening gets harder every year as I pass into my mid 60's. I was out during the Thanksgiving cold snap and it tore me a brand new bunghole since a couple days before it was 60F and I was carrying a summer bloodstream and then WHAM the single-digit-midgets came and I had to catch up. But a human gets used to the cold if he's out in it enough and by the end of my 19 day trip I was laughing at the cold. The next swaray will be in January so let's all have fun together. I seem to be having a harder time keeping my hands warm as I age. Warm everywhere else....

Tipi Walter
12-18-2013, 16:00
I seem to be having a harder time keeping my hands warm as I age. Warm everywhere else....

It's all about the hands and feet.

alexandra
12-20-2013, 03:06
I've hiked below freezing. I grew up in MD. Used to work outside in the cold with horses for hours.... and hours. I've only lived in FL for 5 years.

Dogwood
12-20-2013, 03:17
It's good that you've hiked outdoors in below freezing weather. String the days out though. Get those nights outdoors under your belt if you already haven't. It'll pay U dividends in many ways. I'll be with you the next few nights as I'll be doing 90 miles outside in NJ in the Pinelands probably in a hammock.