PDA

View Full Version : bugs?

squeezebox
11-13-2013, 15:44
How bad are the bugs on the AT? How bad in Maine, VT , NH, etc. When? Where? are they bad. I have a bee keepers helmet I like for summer wear. I smear caulk in the front bill and wash it down, to keep the sun out of my eyes. It's a nice ventilated hat. I can get a bee veil for it to keep out most bugs. Have it sent to me as needed.
thanks for your opinion

Prime Time
11-13-2013, 16:04
Black flies are the worst thing you'll deal with in NH and Maine. They are worst from late May until mid July. They swarm your head and go into your eyes, ears, nose, mouth. Their bite leaves a large swell (1 to 2 inches across) that itches horribly and later turns black and blue and is painful. At their peak, they are absolutely intolerable and deet has little if any effect on them when they're biting.

From Northern Virginia thru Massachusetts nats and mosquitos are a real nuisance from early June through August. I found that with sunglasses, I got used to the nats and they only irritated me a bit. Mosquitos on the other hand can be awful especially in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts. I think it's because in the doldrums of summer there is not as much as a breeze most days due to the lack of any elevation and the ridges all being forested. Also, the AT is a narrow, swampy corridor here, in some cases less than a mile wide, and it lacks a balance of nature that helps control pest populations. At their worst, they are almost as bad as black flies. Deet helps, but over application leads to burning rashes on your skin that are almost as bad as the bites. Hiking fast is your only defense!

Prime Time
11-13-2013, 16:10
Oh, another thing. I brought a bug net but rarely wore it because it's a pain in the butt. You have to remove it or lift it to eat, drink, wipe sweat from your face, etc. Very few people used them while hiking, probably for the same reasons. Around camp you saw a few of them but mostly people just got into their tents when it was real buggy.

Grampie
11-13-2013, 18:40
In some areas the bugs can get quite bad. Nothing that a seasoned hiker and some 100% Deet can't cope with. It's all part of being out-doors.

moldy
11-13-2013, 19:34
The bugs are bad along the entire trail, June, July and August. You will be an odd sight indeed in your beekeepers hat. Your fellow hikers will post your picture here on Whiteblaze and award you an appropriate "trail name". The added weight and unwanted attention will not be worth it. All hikers suffer from bugs and take various actions to get relief. Some of the things we do: cover your exposed skin with clothing that skeeters can't get through. Cover yourself with deet. Coat your clothing with permethian. Walk with a headnet covering your face and neck. Camp on wind exposed ridges. Set up your tent inside the shelter so you can benefit from your screen. This is what I do,,,,, Hike Fast.

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2013, 20:22
I agree with Moldy - you don't have to go over the top. Some people are delicious over others... smell & drinking too much water have something to do with attraction... might be hiker funk.

Other attractions would be wearing too much brown... found out in Maine a long sleeve shirt in bright white confuses the heck out of mosquitoes... actually tried it and it works. They love elbows... Drop the pith helmet... As a bee keeper I would be embarrassed.

aficion
11-13-2013, 20:46
Is you serious?

Leanthree
11-13-2013, 21:09
100% deet

tktktktk

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2013, 21:23
I am not a fan of 100% 12-14% is fine. (Serious)

Here is the thought... in a recent video from Africa - the indigenous tribe used a throw net and wafted it for a few minutes until he collected 5-10 ounces of mosquitos to make a mosquito burger. Yes they fried it. He told the camera man as this was being video taped that he drank to much water. I have seen something similar from the Amazon. I think it was Nat Geo.

Awe - Shock an AWE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQeyjgSUlrk

squeezebox
11-14-2013, 05:15
The mesh bee helmet really does not weigh more than a baseball cap.

Blissful
11-14-2013, 16:09
Deerlflies are an issue from northern New England up all summer into early fall. Mosquitoes are a menace in MA in summer. Blackflies calm down by early July in Maine. The main issue you need to contend with are deer ticks, prevlaent from northern VA through MA. Permethrin your clothing

fredmugs
11-14-2013, 18:23
Gnats, no seeums, whatever drive me the most insane. I bring a pair of over the ear headphones and even when I'm not listening to music they are great for keeping your ears warm on a cold morning or keeping the bugs out on a summer day.

I never was personally attacked by black flies in Maine but I was staying at the motel in Stratton and a group of hikers came in. This woman was wrapped from head to toe. When she unwrapped her entire body was covered in bites. If I hadn't seen it personally I never would have believed it.

BabySue
11-14-2013, 20:53
Bugs ARE bad on the AT! All bad, all the time. I'm surprised you have to ask! I'm surprised at the above posts. It's not worth talking about. It's a bad poll. It should be a poll instead of a normal thread. Who owns the bugs? Would you want bad bugs in your house? In your bank? In your car? In someone else's car? The bugs are bad, but I don't care. The bugs are bad, and I do care. I think they're bad, but it's really not my business. Shoot the bad bugs!! Etc. Etc. Just kidding, of course. But this is a quick summary of how people responded to my question about graffiti in shelters (which I've never done, by the way).

Wise Old Owl
11-14-2013, 22:18
Hey where are the gagging posts over that video?

geomaniac
11-14-2013, 22:28

You just HAD to say something! I went back and watched it...GAG!!!! I'm glad I've finished my dinner!

Dogwood
11-14-2013, 23:02
bryce, or whatever your name is I find it hard to believe you're a 60 yr old RN. suspect.

Wise Old Owl
11-16-2013, 22:35
Hmmm too funny!

Semodex
11-19-2013, 00:43

Raising hand

Deacon
11-19-2013, 06:29

Cookerhiker
11-19-2013, 08:32
Black flies are the worst thing you'll deal with in NH and Maine. They are worst from late May until mid July. They swarm your head and go into your eyes, ears, nose, mouth. Their bite leaves a large swell (1 to 2 inches across) that itches horribly and later turns black and blue and is painful. At their peak, they are absolutely intolerable and deet has little if any effect on them when they're biting.

From Northern Virginia thru Massachusetts nats and mosquitos are a real nuisance from early June through August. I found that with sunglasses, I got used to the nats and they only irritated me a bit. Mosquitos on the other hand can be awful especially in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts. I think it's because in the doldrums of summer there is not as much as a breeze most days due to the lack of any elevation and the ridges all being forested. Also, the AT is a narrow, swampy corridor here, in some cases less than a mile wide, and it lacks a balance of nature that helps control pest populations. At their worst, they are almost as bad as black flies. Deet helps, but over application leads to burning rashes on your skin that are almost as bad as the bites. Hiking fast is your only defense!

Excellent response - all I would add is that black flies are also bothersome in Vermont, as well as NH and Maine.