PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Campers Get Together

Youngblood
08-22-2005, 22:59
Ed Speer of Speer Hammocks is hosting another get together for hammock campers. This one is at Hot Springs, NC on Sept 23-25th. Here is some info from his last newletter:

Join us for our next Southeast Hammock Hangers Association campout on September 23-25, again in Hot Springs, NC. It's FREE! (Except for your $5 camping fee). This is an informal group event and everyone is welcome--veteran, novice or future hammockers. See, learn and share your knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts. This will be an easy overnight campout at a commercial campground in a beautiful mountain river setting near the Appalachian Trail in western North Carolina! Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of the Hammock Camping Newsletters for a fun Fall campout. Previous trips were well attended and this is another chance for hammockers to show their stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and be a part of the 'new way'. Meet old friends and make new ones! Check out the newest hammock gear! Speer Hammocks will be demonstrating their new 900-fill PeaPods and Top Blankets as well as hammocks and SPEs.

We will camp in the popular Hot Springs Campground approximately 45 minutes drive northwest of Asheville, NC or 1.5 hours east of Knoxville, TN. The campground is located on the east side of the town of Hot Springs on Highway US 25/70 directly across from the Hot Springs Resort and Hot Tubs. The campground is situated on the French Broad River and our campsite (#413) is on the rivers' west bank. Road access to the campground is from Asheville, NC or Newport, TN on US 25/US 70. Trees are available for about 15 hammocks, so please bring hammock stands if you have them--we will also provide stands (contact us to reserve one). Everyone will be responsible for his or her own transportation, gear, behavior, and camping fees ($5/person, see Ed at campsite). Camp central for the weekend will be the camp fire and large white canopy at site #413.This outing offers the perfect opportunity for families who camp together, so bring the kids as well as the hammocks.

Show up anytime and leave anytime, but don't miss our free Saturday evening hot dog cookout! This is now a tradition at each hammock hanger’s campout--it's not to be missed! Otherwise, everyone will be responsible for his or her own meals.

Upon arrival, check in at the campground entrance gate and ask for the 'hammock group'. Karen and I will be at the campsite Friday afternoon thru midday Sunday, so arrive anytime after 2 pm Friday. Folding lounge chairs might be appropriate, so bring your own. The Hot Springs area abounds with outdoor opportunities like hiking, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, etc--you can easily combine the hammock campout with an outdoor trip. The Appalachian Trail passes thru town and only a few hundred feet from our campsite. The French Broad River adjacent to our campsite is a popular fishing and floating stream.

Find complete campground details at:

http://camp.nchotsprings.com/

Find driving directions at: http://nchotsprings.com/directions.html

Fall temperatures at this elevation can fluctuate wildly, so expect daytime highs of 30-70F and nighttime lows of 20-50F. Rain is possible so be prepared.

Signing up is not necessary, but letting us know will be appreciated-- [email protected] or call (828) 724-4444

Everyone Welcome! See ya at Hot Springs! …..Ed "Not To Worry" Speer

I've been to last two of these at Hot Springs and have enjoyed them... they are pretty low keyed. Don't know who will be there are what different types of hammocks will be available, but usually there are several types included home made gear to see and maybe 'kick the tires'... it is not exclusive to Speer Hammocks.

Youngblood

Sly
08-23-2005, 12:32
Oh schucks, I'll be on the John Muir Trail, cowboy camping, above treeline. Can you postpone it a couple weeks? ;)

Youngblood
08-23-2005, 14:24
Oh schucks, I'll be on the John Muir Trail, cowboy camping, above treeline. Can you postpone it a couple weeks? ;)
I'll work on it... when can you make it? :D

That reminds me of an old joke one of my buddies use to tell about the Atlanta Braves. Some of you may not remember but for a long, long, long time (the message here is that it seemed like forever) the Braves arguably had about the worst team in baseball. Back then, me and some of my buddies would go to a lot of games, see the great players on the other teams, drink a few beers, get parking right at the gate and get great seats for not much money. Some nights I don't think there were 2000 people in the stands. His joke was that he called the ticket office to see about dugout seats for an afternoon game and asked them what time the game started. The joke was that they then asked him what time could he get there.

Youngblood

DLFrost
08-26-2005, 11:50
Ed Speer of Speer Hammocks is hosting another get together for hammock campers. This one is at Hot Springs, NC on Sept 23-25th. [...] I've been to last two of these at Hot Springs and have enjoyed them... they are pretty low keyed. Don't know who will be there are what different types of hammocks will be available, but usually there are several types included home made gear to see and maybe 'kick the tires'... it is not exclusive to Speer Hammocks.
I've been to a couple also and they are enjoyable. Ed let me try out one of his SPEs with my HH at the last one--nifty gizmo you guys came up with. I'm hoping to come to this one also.

(I'm curious to see if the campfire smoke always goes to where Ed is, even when he gets up and moves, just like it did last time....)

Doug Frost