PDA

View Full Version : Stacking pads and layering quilts

nastynate
11-14-2013, 10:02
If you were to use a neoair and ridgerest solite together for more insulation, which would go on top? Also, I plan on layering a RevX 20 quilt and an apex 5.0 quilt when it's really cold. Would the apex go on top?

Prime Time
11-14-2013, 10:30
I actually used the first combo above early in my thru hike this year and I had the Ridgerest on the bottom. Its function was to keep the ground cold from migrating up to my Neoair. The Neoair then provided a layer of air for additional insulation. It worked well and I was able to use a 30 degree bag comfortably despite some really cold nights for the southern AT in late March. I used the short Ridgerest and my feet went onto my pack. I ditched the Ridgerest when I reached Virginia.

jeffmeh
11-14-2013, 10:40
From an insulation perspective, the R-factors are additive, so it shouldn't matter. The practical considerations are keeping everything from slipping out from under you or off of you, comfort, and perhaps using the Ridgerest under the Neo Air if the surface is sketchy and could damage the inflatable. Experiment with it and see what works best for you.

GoodGerman
11-14-2013, 11:06
Interesting, that's a pretty similar setup to mine..

Will use a NeoAir Woman's + Z-Rest SoLite and a WM Ultralite 20 + MYOG Down Quilt for my february thru.
Tried the sleeping pad combo last year and noticed that the SoLite on the ground worked better for me. I guess that's because I sleep on the side most of the time which makes it harder to keep the NeoAir warm.
If you toss and turn a lot better bring some shock cord to keep the pads put.

I'd put the synthetic quilt on top of the down insulation. There will be some condensation in the outer layer. Easier to deal with that when it's a apex quilt.
Try not to be too warm under the two quilts and you won't have a lot of condensation though.

nastynate
11-14-2013, 12:55
Thanks for the pointers. I'm looking forward to trying it all out on a cold night soon.

Rocket Jones
11-14-2013, 12:59
I use a blue CCF pad on top of a NeoAir Trekker during the Winter months. I've tried it both ways, and the CCF on top of the the NeoAir was noticably warmer. YMMV.

Blissful
11-14-2013, 16:04
When it's really cold, I found the exact opposite worked better, the thin insulation pad on top of the neoair. I use the other way around other times

MuddyWaters
11-14-2013, 21:25
Id personally get an xtherm before I carried the ridgerest and neoair.

I do carry a 1/8" CCF with my xlite, adds an additional ~ 0.7 R value, helps prevent punctures, and works as a sit pad during the day.

SCRUB HIKER
11-15-2013, 00:53
In my brief experience winter camping, I've put the CCF pad on the bottom below the inflatable. As someone else mentioned, it shouldn't matter for warmth, but I seem less likely to slide around that way.

Dogwood
11-15-2013, 12:55
I wonder if the increasing complexity of your sleep system is largely a result of you attempting to use a quilt in 20-25* temps. I've been there. I'm still doing it in some aspects. Sometimes we make things more complex than needed. :)

nastynate
11-15-2013, 13:46
Yeah I know that. I already had the ridgerest and I got the neoair on trade. I made the apex quilt for $50 and got the RevX on sale. I suppose I could sell the pads and get an xtherm and sell the quilts and save some more money for a versalite. But in reality, I'm just a weekend backpacker. If it's going to be colder than what I think I can handle, I'll just stay home, or head into a valley instead of up I the mountains. I think with my setup and inside my tent, I can be comfortable from 20* to 80* and not spend anymore money.

Odd Man Out
11-15-2013, 14:56
I'm looking for a full-length 24" wide, 1/8" thick CCF pad to put under a Wide-Torso Length NeoAir Trekker, but can't seem to find one. Any hints?

Meriadoc
11-15-2013, 18:00
I'm looking for a full-length 24" wide, 1/8" thick CCF pad to put under a Wide-Torso Length NeoAir Trekker, but can't seem to find one. Any hints?

Gossamer Gear carried some a year ago and likely still do. Good quality. Takes a sharp knife to cut it cleanly.

Dogwood
11-15-2013, 18:18

http://lawsonequipment.com/InsuLite-Foam-Pads/InsuLite-Ultra-EVA-125XL-p950.html

Dogwood
11-15-2013, 18:21
I'm sure if you look around you can find something longer than 74" but if not tape or hot seam two pieces together to make a longer then 74" pad.

Dogwood
11-15-2013, 18:30
http://diygearsupply.com/product/microcell-foam/ Gonna cost you though! $$$ for a longer pad.

JAK
11-15-2013, 19:19
I would put the more compressible pad underneath and the more compressible quilt overtop.

Odd Man Out
11-15-2013, 23:07
http://lawsonequipment.com/InsuLite-Foam-Pads/InsuLite-Ultra-EVA-125XL-p950.html

I was going there, but contacted the company and they won't be carrying them any more. The problem is not the length, but the width. Most of the pads are just 20" wide.