PDA

View Full Version : Has it ever been done?

aficion
11-15-2013, 22:54
Does anyone know of a case where an unsupported thru-hiker did the trail without ever going in to town? Of course such a hike would entail walking thru Hot Springs, etc. But has a thru hike ever been done without leaving the trail, other than to gather water or sleep in the woods, just off the trail. This would obviously require caching.

moldy
11-15-2013, 23:09
No. What would motivate a person to hike like this? Can you imagine what this guy would smell like? Town is where we hike to, it's where we are going. Ask any hiker where he's going. He is heading up the trail to the next town, for a bath, a burger and/or a beer. Without towns we would not last 2 weeks.

aficion
11-15-2013, 23:16
No. What would motivate a person to hike like this? Can you imagine what this guy would smell like? Town is where we hike to, it's where we are going. Ask any hiker where he's going. He is heading up the trail to the next town, for a bath, a burger and/or a beer. Without towns we would not last 2 weeks.

I live in town. Don't need to go hike to appreciate my burgers, beers, and showers. I actually like it out there, which is a good thing given how many times I've been told I really am out there.:)

Rolls Kanardly
11-15-2013, 23:17
I would be interested in finding out how Gramma Gatewood did it in the beginning of time for ladies. The population was a lot less back then and she only had a laundry bag, ked tennis shoes and a shower curtain. What a lady. Rolls

moldy
11-15-2013, 23:34
Do you want to be a hiker or a hermit? I have never encountered a hiker who was not going to town. Not one. Ever. Grandma Gatewood was heading to town. You should try this, could be a book in it for you, maybe a reality TV show.

aficion
11-15-2013, 23:37
Do you want to be a hiker or a hermit? I have never encountered a hiker who was not going to town. Not one. Ever. Grandma Gatewood was heading to town. You should try this, could be a book in it for you, maybe a reality TV show.

I may. Long as I don't have to have jail time to qualify.

stranger
11-16-2013, 01:14
I'm VERY comfortable to say this is impossible, not so much logistically, but as far as motivation goes...no way. I cannot possible see the upside to a hike like that.

In 2001 Jon Muir walked across Australia, alone, unsupported and largely lived off the land, I do think he hit one or two towns however, but when I say 'town' we are talking about a extremely remote, Aboriginal village on a unpaved road most likely.

Slo-go'en
11-16-2013, 01:29

Grama Gatewood stayed in a lot of peoples houses along the way. Back then the trail followed a lot more country roads. Over the years the trail has been moved off the roads and to go around towns.

Slo-go'en
11-16-2013, 01:32
I live in town. Don't need to go hike to appreciate my burgers, beers, and showers. I actually like it out there, which is a good thing given how many times I've been told I really am out there.:)

Except when you start living on the trail, you do appreciate going to town for those ammenities. And it doesn't take long for most, 3-4 days maybe?

Dogwood
11-16-2013, 01:34
Does anyone know of a case where an unsupported thru-hiker did the trail without ever going in to town? Of course such a hike would entail walking thru Hot Springs, etc. But has a thru hike ever been done without leaving the trail, other than to gather water or sleep in the woods, just off the trail...

Depends on how you view a thru-hiker(it's just a made up term anyway and it's certainly not universally agreed upon what the hell the definition of a thru-hiker is anyhow(that's quite obvious based on all the threads and debates that ensue here when the topic arises!)). Native American Indians would be viewed as long distance hikers to me who traveled seasonally sometimes 1000's of miles. They didn't have the conveniences of "towns", high tech UL modern gear, all the damn over analyzed to death trail data in umpteen books and websites to follow, etc. If Native American Indians did get to N. America across the Bering Strait via a land or ice bridge or by some watercraft, as some Anthropologist surmise, that must have been one helluva hike/packraft thru-hike!

Pedaling Fool
11-16-2013, 09:24
Depends on how you view a thru-hiker(it's just a made up term anyway and it's certainly not universally agreed upon what the hell the definition of a thru-hiker is anyhow(that's quite obvious based on all the threads and debates that ensue here when the topic arises!)). Native American Indians would be viewed as long distance hikers to me who traveled seasonally sometimes 1000's of miles. They didn't have the conveniences of "towns", high tech UL modern gear, all the damn over analyzed to death trail data in umpteen books and websites to follow, etc. If Native American Indians did get to N. America across the Bering Strait via a land or ice bridge or by some watercraft, as some Anthropologist surmise, that must have been one helluva hike/packraft thru-hike!
Not a good comparison, because they lived off the land and we really don't know much about how or when they got here. The conventional idea is that they came here starting after the last ice age ~12,000 years ago. However that timeline has been proven very faulty and basically wrong; some say as long as 50,000 years ago. Besides they didn't just walk in one calendar year (sarcasm). It was more of a migration over many generations.

BTW, I'm not sure of how far they traveled from their tribal camps during hunts, i.e. in one trip (not accumulated miles); I'm kind of curious. Can you provide a link? But again I know they carried provisions and I know they did live off the land somewhat, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had "towns" that they could stop in, i.e. other tribe establishments. And they didn't take on these adventures alone. We humans are just not too good at living off the land in a purist way; this was something they were trained (knowledge gained over generations) for and planned for, they didn't just go out into the wilds. They were also known to follow established trails, so in a sense that kind of hints at them following a routine.

I think one would have to be supported in order to thru-hike without stops in town, but then that would be self defeating and really wouldn't be a note worthy accomplishment. I wouldn't be impressed one bit, even if it was done via caches.

Wise Old Owl
11-16-2013, 09:28
I would be interested in finding out how Gramma Gatewood did it in the beginning of time for ladies. The population was a lot less back then and she only had a laundry bag, ked tennis shoes and a shower curtain. What a lady. Rolls

Try this.
http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Spring-Earl-V-Shaffer/dp/0917953843

Or This

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/grandma-gatewoods-walk-ben-montgomery/1117168312?cm_mmc=googlepla-_-book_25to44-_-q000000633-_-9781613747186&cm_mmca2=pla&ean=9781613747186&isbn=9781613747186&r=1

WingedMonkey
11-16-2013, 10:20
No, no one has ever done it.

There were some slack-packers this year that came close, but even they flocked to town comforts.

rickb
11-16-2013, 10:23
Duplicate post.

rickb
11-16-2013, 10:25
Does anyone know of a case where an unsupported thru-hiker did the trail without ever going in to town? Of course such a hike would entail walking thru Hot Springs, etc. But has a thru hike ever been done without leaving the trail, other than to gather water or sleep in the woods, just off the trail. This would obviously require caching.

While he certainly came into towns, Eustace Conway hiked the AT in a way that might capture the spirit of what you are asking about. Dumpster diving not withstanding.

He is easy to google, but unfortunately there was only a small bit written about his thru hike in Gilbert'sThe Las American Man. Which is understandable, but still. He certainly didn't go the B&B route.

I think WB's own Tipi Walter spent some time with him.

Malto
11-16-2013, 10:27
The scenario you describe is a very specialized set of rules. has there been a hiker that hasn't spent a night in town, likely. Gone without a civilized shower, likely (I know a woman did the pct a few years back and went most of the trip without a shower.) Cached vs walking into town a half mile to store. is there really a difference? Buying food at the store vs eating at a restaurant. Is there much of a difference? Could someone do the exact scenario that you're describing? likely but it would only be to make a point or set some silly record so I am doubtful that anyone actually would find the "rules" worth it.

dmax
11-16-2013, 11:16
What be be the longest section without walking into a town?
Hotsprings, resupply .. Erwin, resupply .. Damascus, resupply
If the towns were close enough farther north I could see it as a real possibility. I only got off the trail once between springer and Damascus. A trip to smokey mountain brewery because the group I was hiking with through the smokeys worked there so we went for pizza and beer then back to the trail.

johnnybgood
11-16-2013, 11:32
If the towns were close enough farther north I could see it as a real possibility.

Harper's Ferry is 540 miles north, unless you include Daleville (the AT empties out on Rt. 220, quarter mile from a Kroger's).

Pedaling Fool
11-16-2013, 11:58

If the towns were close enough farther north I could see it as a real possibility. I only got off the trail once between springer and Damascus. A trip to smokey mountain brewery because the group I was hiking with through the smokeys worked there so we went for pizza and beer then back to the trail.I don't get your point. It is irrelevant (if I understand the op correctly) how the towns are situated. This is all about not resupplying in town, nor taking advantage of any amenities; the fact that the AT goes thru some towns is irrelevant, if this person just simply walks thru, period. If he stops for a shower, bed, resturant, dumpster... then he's failed; but to simply walk thru town (without stopping) is really no different than walking down the trail.

dmax
11-16-2013, 12:08
The way I take it is not to leave the trail to go to town. But if the trail goes through a town, nowhere does he say he wouldn't resupply. I guess we both read it differently.

johnnybgood
11-16-2013, 12:21
The way I take it is not to leave the trail to go to town. But if the trail goes through a town, nowhere does he say he wouldn't resupply. I guess we both read it differently.

That's my interpretation of the OP's question exactly.

RED-DOG
11-16-2013, 12:54
WHY ? most people hike the AT for the town experiences, besides to me the towns are a big part of the experience, I have hiked the AT three times and i have never met anybody that didn't go in to atleast a few of the towns.

-Animal
11-16-2013, 20:07

Not all of us hike to go to town. I only stopped at a town once or twice a month to resupply on my long, 7+ months, AT hike. It is possible to do the whole thing without resupplying if you are not particular about what you eat, and you can stay clean without stopping in a town. I’ll be doing it again in 2014 with even less stops in towns along the way.

stranger
11-17-2013, 00:46
I don't get your point. It is irrelevant (if I understand the op correctly) how the towns are situated. This is all about not resupplying in town, nor taking advantage of any amenities; the fact that the AT goes thru some towns is irrelevant, if this person just simply walks thru, period. If he stops for a shower, bed, resturant, dumpster... then he's failed; but to simply walk thru town (without stopping) is really no different than walking down the trail.

Yeah and if someone avoided a town that the trail went through they would be called a blue-blazer and not a thru-hiker in all likely hood

Dogwood
11-17-2013, 02:43
All I know is that I hiked every mile of the AT with a red hat. Is anyone taking note of that? Has anyone ever done that? Where's my prize?

Rasty
11-17-2013, 08:21
All I know is that I hiked every mile of the AT with a red hat. Is anyone taking note of that? Has anyone ever done that? Where's my prize?

You want a medal or a monument?

Pedaling Fool
11-17-2013, 09:30
This (as I understand it) is all about not resupplying in town, nor taking advantage of any amenities; the fact that the AT goes thru some towns is irrelevant, if this person just simply walks thru, period. If he stops for a shower, bed, resturant, dumpster... then he's failed; but to simply walk thru town (without stopping) is really no different than walking down the trail.

That's my interpretation of the OP's question exactly.

Judge...:)

aficion
11-17-2013, 09:41
Judge...:)

Mornin' sports fans. HYOH.

hikerboy57
11-17-2013, 10:00
All I know is that I hiked every mile of the AT with a red hat. Is anyone taking note of that? Has anyone ever done that? Where's my prize? Green would have been the right color

hikerboy57
11-17-2013, 10:03
All I know is that I hiked every mile of the AT with a red hat. Is anyone taking note of that? Has anyone ever done that? Where's my prize? it would only count if you did not remove the hat the entire trip

Another Kevin
11-17-2013, 10:13

With a red hat? You're doing it all wrong. Everyone knows you have to hike with a Xubuntu!

Pedaling Fool
11-17-2013, 10:28

Green would have been the right color
Yes, it was the wrong color dogwood. How does it feel knowing that you ruined many people's experience in nature with your complete disregard for LNT principles? http://www.burningman.com/environment/resources/lnt.html

The Leave No Trace! ethic is violated when we :

Travel and camp in large groups
Travel off trails or roads, thereby causing scars and soil erosion, and trampling vegetation
Leave campfire scars
Leave human waste and garbage at a campsite
Pollute lakes and streams
Make loud noises that disturb wildlife and other visitors
Wear brightly colored gear and clothes that make us visible

Malto
11-17-2013, 10:37
Yes Dogwood, you a a VERY bad man!

SouthMark
11-17-2013, 11:15
I plan to thru hike it in 2014 both directions at the same time.

aficion
11-17-2013, 11:19
I plan to thru hike it in 2014 both directions at the same time.

Face one way and walk the other?

Prime Time
11-17-2013, 11:42
I suppose this is possible with cache's, food left in shelters, yogi'd from other hikers, etc., but I never heard of anyone doing it or even trying it, and for a reason. What would be the purpose/pleasure derived from doing it? It would be a logistical nightmare and a self imposed stress generator like no other. Where would you get your next meal or resupply from? Would you plan it all in advance (doomed to fail) or do it on the fly? There will be times on the trail when you would sell your soul for a simple shower or to get in out of the extreme cold or just to dry off. Why would you deprive yourself of those occasional short lived but very intense desires when you are going to walk right by them? There are many hikers, and I was one of them, who wanted to more or less minimize their time off trail because in excess it can detract from the core experience of an AT thru hike. There's a big difference, however, between minimizing and never.

aficion
11-17-2013, 12:28
I suppose this is possible with cache's, food left in shelters, yogi'd from other hikers, etc., but I never heard of anyone doing it or even trying it, and for a reason. What would be the purpose/pleasure derived from doing it? It would be a logistical nightmare and a self imposed stress generator like no other. Where would you get your next meal or resupply from? Would you plan it all in advance (doomed to fail) or do it on the fly? There will be times on the trail when you would sell your soul for a simple shower or to get in out of the extreme cold or just to dry off. Why would you deprive yourself of those occasional short lived but very intense desires when you are going to walk right by them? There are many hikers, and I was one of them, who wanted to more or less minimize their time off trail because in excess it can detract from the core experience of an AT thru hike. There's a big difference, however, between minimizing an:)d never.

Not saying I want to do it. Just asking if it has been done. My thru will intentionally tend toward the extreme of minimal off trail time, and I'm interested in the perspectives and experiences of others who were so inclined. I appreciate the replies.

max patch
11-17-2013, 12:41
All I know is that I hiked every mile of the AT with a red hat.

All this time I thot you were a dude.

max patch
11-17-2013, 12:48
http://blog.craniumfitteds.com/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/dccd0207711cc30b324d4aa6e0db2790.jpg

Rare photo of Dogwood as she hikes into the hostel at Mountain Crossings.

wnderer
11-17-2013, 13:46
Depends on what you think the 'core' experience is. I think it would ruin the experience to have a ground crew and make arrangements to meet at some trail head to resupply. I just want to wander in the woods and see what comes next. So if you go it alone you're limited to what you can carry. It's best when you can get off the trail once a week to do a major resupply. Get off the trail Saturday morning and back on Sunday after breakfast. That way you avoid most of the weekenders and day hikers. Bath, laundry and hit a real supermarket for rice meals and oatmeal. Problem is I can't carry that much food, so in the middle of the week, I needed to do a half day supply and hit a deli or gas station and buy more candy bars and cookies that make up at least half my diet. Get off and back on the trail the same day. So about every three or four days I'm stopping to get food. The mid week stop is a hassle. You go no where, see nothing and it lacks the benefits of a stay in town. If I could make due with once a week I would.

max patch
11-17-2013, 14:06
I think it would ruin the experience to have a ground crew and make arrangements to meet at some trail head to resupply

Is this thread still addressing the OPs question? If so, he was asking about unsupported.

Hasn't been done and won't be done.

Different Socks
11-18-2013, 16:35
Carry a Zip stove for cooking, hope your equip/clothes don't break and/or need replacement, take a shower bag for cleaning each day, water filter for water and a few other things and yes, if you cached you could do the whole AT w/o going into town.

Different Socks
11-18-2013, 16:46
"I don't get your point. It is irrelevant (if I understand the op correctly) how the towns are situated. This is all about not resupplying in town, nor taking advantage of any amenities; the fact that the AT goes thru some towns is irrelevant, if this person just simply walks thru, period. If he stops for a shower, bed, resturant, dumpster... then he's failed; but to simply walk thru town (without stopping) is really no different than walking down the trail".

I don't agree with this. If you're walking down any trail and see something edible you may stop and pick it to eat, right? So if the trail goes thru a town and the path takes you by a store, gas station, eatery, sundae stand, farmers market, that is a feature along the trail that can be taken advantage of b/c it is along the trail just like the wild edibles are.
Going into town which would take you off the trail or going to a any of the above features that are not in the immediate vicinity of the path would then violate this idea and would be cosidered to be resupplying.

Pedaling Fool
11-18-2013, 20:48

OP Post^

I don't get your point. It is irrelevant (if I understand the op correctly) how the towns are situated. This is all about not resupplying in town, nor taking advantage of any amenities; the fact that the AT goes thru some towns is irrelevant, if this person just simply walks thru, period. If he stops for a shower, bed, resturant, dumpster... then he's failed; but to simply walk thru town (without stopping) is really no different than walking down the trail.

I don't agree with this. If you're walking down any trail and see something edible you may stop and pick it to eat, right? So if the trail goes thru a town and the path takes you by a store, gas station, eatery, sundae stand, farmers market, that is a feature along the trail that can be taken advantage of b/c it is along the trail just like the wild edibles are.
Going into town which would take you off the trail or going to a any of the above features that are not in the immediate vicinity of the path would then violate this idea and would be cosidered to be resupplying.
First off, I'm just paraphrasing the OP, athough I could be wrong, it was just my interpretation.

My primary focus was in his opening question: "Does anyone know of a case where an unsupported thru-hiker did the trail without ever going in to town?"

It seems to me he is asking if someone ever did a thru-hike without ever going into town, period. Obviously (and he mentions this) there are some areas where one must go on thru towns, because the AT goes thru that town.

If someone wanted to do a thru-hike without ever going into town, that doesn't mean they need to bypass the town (in my view) it just means that they should not stop anywhere in town, not even to get a shower nor patronize any establishment.

aficion
11-18-2013, 21:07
To clarify I am curious to know if others who have gone thru before have, or know of anyone who basically stayed out of town wherever possible, and only went thru towns they had to in order to hike the trail. No further qualifications and only curious. I am a tightwad who loves being in the woods in all but impossible conditions and my thru attempt in a few years will be made with a specific goal to minimize both expenses and town time. I've been here long enough to know I am in a significant minority with this mindset. I am not trying to convert anyone to it, rationalize it, or imply that it is somehow better than other approaches.I simply would like to hear of and from any who may have cogent experience and advice for one such as I. A very long uninterrupted time in the woods is what I am after. Simplicity and frugality.

Different Socks
11-18-2013, 21:20
This has given me an idea to attempt this b/c I do carry a shower bag for cleaning and water, and I have cached food along the AT when I have done shorter sections of several days or even 2--3 weeks.
Again in my mind, the stretches of trail that are long in regards to not going thru towns to resupply, I would cache food. In the actual towns where the trail goes thru I would patronize the places where I could get food, etc b/c it is along the trail, therefore part of the trail.

aficion
11-18-2013, 21:31
Yeah, I carry a bucket and a bag. I don't get peoples' aversion for cleaning up in the woods. I love it. It is usually one of the highlights of my day. Clothes are easily washed on the trail too. Caching is something I'm experimenting with.

rickb
11-18-2013, 22:04
To clarify I am curious to know if others who have gone thru before have, or know of anyone who basically stayed out of town wherever possible, and only went thru towns they had to in order to hike the trail. No further qualifications and only curious. I am a tightwad who loves being in the woods in all but impossible conditions and my thru attempt in a few years will be made with a specific goal to minimize both expenses and town time. I've been here long enough to know I am in a significant minority with this mindset. I am not trying to convert anyone to it, rationalize it, or imply that it is somehow better than other approaches.I simply would like to hear of and from any who may have cogent experience and advice for one such as I. A very long uninterrupted time in the woods is what I am after. Simplicity and frugality.

That was my style-- perhaps because I didn't know any better.

At the time (1983) information was often limited to a listing in the data book that would say something like "G 3.2 miles W" or "PO 3 miles E". I am not sure there were any listings for Groceries (G) or a post office that were more than 5 miles off trail. I don't think so. In effect they might not have existed.

At the same time, hikers seemed to accept the concept of carrying much more food than today to avoid the hassle of resupply-- 10 days was my norm which was not unusual. My average distance between resupply was abou 140 miles. Once in Maine, for example.

For my part, I had so little interest in getting of trail, I even bypassed Harpers Ferry, which was down a blueblaze at the time. Towns were welcome where the Trail passed thu to be sure-- just not worth a special trip.

Like everyone, my hike was shaped by the norms and expectations I felt at the time, whether or not I was really dialed into that -- I probably wasn't. I do think that is true for most people every year-- which may not be ideal. I sincerely wish you the best of luck hiking your own hike-- it may well be more difficult than you think.

aficion
11-18-2013, 22:15
That was my style-- perhaps because I didn't know any better.

At the time (1983) information was often limited to a listing in the data book that would say something like "G 3.2 miles W" or "PO 3 miles E". I am not sure there were any listings for Groceries (G) or a post office that were more than 5 miles off trail. I don't think so. In effect they might not have existed.

At the same time, hikers seemed to accept the concept of carrying much more food than today to avoid the hassle of resupply-- 10 days was my norm which was not unusual. My average distance between resupply was abou 140 miles. Once in Maine, for example.

For my part, I had so little interest in getting of trail, I even bypassed Harpers Ferry, which was down a blueblaze at the time. Towns were welcome where the Trail passed thu to be sure-- just not worth a special trip.

Like everyone, my hike was shaped by the norms and expectations I felt at the time, whether or not I was really dialed into that -- I probably wasn't. I do think that is true for most people every year-- which may not be ideal. I sincerely wish you the best of luck hiking your own hike-- it may well be more difficult than you think.

Hey thanks, I'll be feeling very fortunate to have a go at it. Hiking 2000+ miles is difficult no matter how you do it.
I'll need luck, help, prayers, etc. I've got a good start with my good fortune to have some experience, and with the support of the good folks here. Those who think WB has a "dark side" need to get out in the world and look around a bit.