PDA

View Full Version : chicken jerky, fish jerky

squeezebox
11-16-2013, 13:44
Any experience trying to make chicken, or fish jerky? What success? I tried to make fish sausage once, the dog would not eat it.

Rasty
11-16-2013, 14:03
Seafood Sausage

1# fish
1 cup cream
1 egg white
1 teaspoon salt

Grind fish in good processor, add cream then egg and salt. Fill casings and boil immediately. It's a different thing then a pork sausage. Also very perishable.

Chicken jerky can be a problem with bacteria versus taste. You have to cook it so much that you won't eat it afterwards.

Feral Bill
11-16-2013, 14:16
Chicken would need to be cooked, first.

Dogwood
11-16-2013, 18:53
I don't make it but I see fish jerky more in Alaska, parts of the Pacific northwest around Seattle, and here in Hawaii. I'm sure its available in Canada too. If you can find, and afford it!, FRESH minimally processed wild Alaskan Salmon Candy is something you might try. I splurge on it once in a while when I see it. In Hawaii there are a few different fish species that are made into fish jerky. The best tasting IMO is the tuna jerky. It's pricey everywhere in the U.S. IMO but probably more pricey on the east coast, when I've seen it for sale, but look for elk, venison, ostrich, and emu jerky for a change. And, of course there's turkey jerky; I like the Perky Jerky Turkey Jerky. LOL. Perky Jerky Turkey Jerky!; it has a softer chewing texture and doesn't have as many of the compounds in it that I notice in several other brand jerkies like MSG, nitrites, nitrates, HIGH sodium levels, etc

Wise Old Owl
11-16-2013, 19:18
OK here is Salmon Candy

http://honest-food.net/2013/07/15/salmon-candy-recipe/

Chicken Jerky (not so popular)

http://www.yankeekitchenninja.com/2011/10/chicken-jerky-recipe.html

Keep all Surfaces Sanitized

Avoid cross contamination by sanitizing all work surfaces before and after poultry touches the surface. The bacteria on most raw chicken can cause food-borne illness. Cooking kills the harmful bacteria. If you use a knife or cutting board that are contaminated with raw chicken juice to prepare your green salad, you can get food poisoning. When preparing your chicken jerky, wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap before and after working with the raw chicken. Do the same with the knives, cutting boards and other surfaces that come in contact with the raw chicken.

Preheat the Chicken

Home food dehydrators typically come with a user's manual, which includes instructions on drying different types of food, such as fruits, vegetables and meat for jerky. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, when giving instructions on preparing jerky, most manuals leave out an essential step. To kill the harmful pathogenic bacteria found on most chicken, the chicken must reach 165 degrees F. The maximum temperatures of home food dehydrators typically aren't enough to kill the pathogenic bacteria on poultry. This doesn't mean you can't make chicken jerky in your home food dehydrator, but you must first bring the temperate of the chicken to 165 degrees F before drying. This is a step you can do by steam or roasting in the oven before processing in the food dehydrator.

Process

Follow the instructions of your food dehydrator when preparing your chicken jerky, but include the step on pre-heating immediately before arranging the chicken pieces on the food processor trays in a single layer, without the pieces touching. After bringing the chicken to 165 degrees F, don't allow it to cool. Put it immediately in the food dehydrator and keep at constant temperature between 130 to 140 degrees F while drying. Don't be tempted to reorder the steps; preheat the chicken to 165 degrees F before the drying process, not after. Bacteria is more resistant to heat after drying, and you would in essence be preserving the harmful bacteria.

TroutknuT
11-16-2013, 19:19
Just smoke your fish.. Little Chief Smoker is the way to go,will do fish and meat.

Wise Old Owl
11-16-2013, 20:33
Had an after thought - Chicken Jerky can be upped with a Apple Cider BBQ sweet

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-and-tangy-bbq-sauce/

BillyGr
11-16-2013, 23:34
www.heidijosjerky.com (http://www.heidijosjerky.com) - These folks (from NH) tend to be at a lot of the fairs in this area. They don't mention chicken, but do have turkey jerky (which should be fairly similar?).

Also - I also remember seeing (and having) some salmon in Alaska done as jerky - makes sense as they are more common in that area.

Nyte
11-24-2013, 21:55
You can dehydrate chicken, and you don't have to cook it first. Especially if you are salting, sugar curing, or using honey. Bacteria and other such pathogens require moisture to survive and thrive. Biggest reason you don't find airborn bacteria/viruses in the desert. Dehydrate your chicken completely, till it is crispy.

To be fair, when dehydrating without using salt, sugar, or honey as a curative, I have always dehydrated, and broken down to little pieces (pulse it in a blender), and then added it to dehydrated veggies, eggs, or the like, with boiling water to re-hydrate into a meal.

Fish you can smoke, or season and dehydrate similar to red meat. If you want to do strips like jerky, I would probably use a fish that makes steaks well, like salmon, tuna, shark, or similar. Really flaky fish, like trout, would be harder to do.