PDA

View Full Version : to put on weight or not to put on weight???

jimmyjob
08-23-2005, 10:41
I am currently questioning my training and pre-trail weight management. Since the beginning of the year, I made a commitment to lose the excess weight that I was caring. For that reason, I completely changed my diet and began to exercise. Since that commitment I have lost 40 pounds. My regular exercise program included mostly jogging and soccer. Two months ago I decided that I wanted to do a through hike next year, so in addition to jogging and soccer, I added full incline treadmill training with a 40 pound pack. I have met two people in the last week that thru hiked in 2003 and 2004 respectfully. One told me not to worry about training and to make sure I had enough weight to most of what I will loss on the trail. The other told me to continue training the way I am, but to eat real fatty foods so as to negate most of my calorie loss. I tend to lean more toward the second suggestion because I really need to stay in shape for soccer until I leave. I am also having problems digesting that crappy food now. I can take it ever now and then, but the last few days I have tried to eat more and it is tearing me up.(:bse My stomach)

Please help I need some suggestions.:confused::confused::confused::confuse d::confused::confused::confused::confused::confuse d::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks

Jimmyjob

tlbj6142
08-23-2005, 10:53
As long as you eat enough on the trail you'll be fine.

The reason most folks look like Keith Richards when they reach Mt. K is that they don't eat enought. It takes a lot of food (way more than the 2#/day number you see) to keep from loosing weight. I think many hikers feel they can "make-up" for a bad on trail diet by gorging themselves in town. Not sure that's the best approach.

jackiebolen
08-23-2005, 12:04
Don't put on weight before the trail...as long as you're not super-skinny before you start hiking you'll be fine. Remember, all that extra weight that you start with, you have to carry up the mountain and that's not a fun time.

Footslogger
08-23-2005, 12:13
I wouldn't make any special effort to gain weight before a hike. Just eat as usual. If anything ...I just didn't pay much attention to how much/what I ate prior to my thru in 2003. By the time I reached Harpers I had lost about 38 lbs and that was eating about 2 lbs/day of food, including large number of Snickers bars. I levelled off after that and pretty much finished at Katahdin 36 - 38 lbs lighter than when I started.

Course ...I got home and sat on my can for a while at the same time I gave in to the cravings I had developed on the trail. Needless to say those 38 lbs (and maybe a few more) came back and soon !!

'Slogger

Spirit Walker
08-23-2005, 14:07
My take is to eat as nutritiously as possible now, before you leave. On the trail it becomes more difficult to eat healthy foods. You don't want to start out with a nutritional deficit. Don't gain weight now, you will just lose it again, quickly, and in the meantime you have to haul that extra weight up all the hills. Better to eat a healthy diet now and as much as possible while hiking. The more overweight you are, the more you will lose on the trail. Those who start the trail at a good weight don't usually lose all that much. Some even gain as their muscle mass builds. Those who eat good foods on the trail also don't usually lose all that much weight. It's the white flour, high sugar diet that leaves you nutritionally depleted and without energy - but it's hard to avoid if you're buying as you go. Remember to eat lots of nuts and seeds - nutritious and calorically dense.

Jack Tarlin
08-23-2005, 14:09
The best possible preparation for a long hike is to be in the best physical shape you can be AT THE OUTSET! Gaining weight beforehand in order to make up for the weight you're going to lose might seem like a good idea, but I can assure you it isn't.....all this will do is make your early weeks much more difficult. Get in as good shape as you can BEFOREHAND, (i.e. don't start forty pounds over!) and make sure you're eating properly and in sufficient quantity, and you'll be just fine.

As the mirror just reminded me, there'll be plenty of time to gain some of that lost weight back after you return home, but packing the extra stuff on ahead of time, would not, in my opinion, be the wisest thing to do.

Youngblood
08-23-2005, 14:53
I concur with what Jack said, they is no good reason to fatten up before a thru hike... or after. You want to always be in the best shape that you can. You will need to eat more (a lot more) food during the hike, but that is a problem you address during the hike.

Youngblood

Doctari
08-23-2005, 15:41
I met a hiker who had "topped off" the night before hitting the trail, by eating about a 3 person portion of a 4 person "Family dinner" at a local eatery, then a very large meal at McD's the next AM. He made it about 4.5 miles before he could no longer hike due to abdominal pains. I do believe the majority of his pain was from eating just a bit too much in preperation for his thru.

I once tried to make back what I lost on the trail by eating to Oblivion in town, I got no sleep that night for the same reason as my friend above.

As to "bulking up" before a thru, it is probably not a good idea, as mentioned above. Unless (as stated) you are super thin. My 19 YO son is 5' 10" yet weighs only about 120 Lbs*, he should probably add a few (20?) pounds before he does any extensive hiking.

*With 10 Lbs of rocks in his pockets :)

Doctari.

rocket04
08-23-2005, 17:23
I'll echo the sentiments of others and say you might as well start in the best shape and not put on any weight. I'm skinny, 6'0" tall and only about 153 pounds, and I didn't do anything special to gain weight before the trail. I did lose weight, about 7-8 pounds, but that happened fairly early, after which I kind of stabilized around 145. I just made sure I ate enough on the trail and ate plenty in town and I was OK.

Peaks
08-23-2005, 17:36
I'll agree with Jack and others.

First, get yourself into as good condition as possible before starting. It sounds like you are by exercising and getting your weight down. Good!

Next task is to consume enough good calories while doing your thru-hike. Don't get into a calorie defficient. That's the real challenge for most thru-hikers. Pigging out in towns doesn't make up for a calorie defficiet.

justusryans
08-23-2005, 19:17
congradulations on the weight loss! I'll throw my 2 cents along with everyone else and say just try to get in the best shape you can. The more you loose, the less you'll carry

kyhipo
08-24-2005, 09:00
dont worry be happy:banana ky be normal the trail will tell your tummy its hungy

tlbj6142
08-24-2005, 09:35
The one thing I see missing from your workout program is downhill training. Almost everyone will tell you that downhills are the toughest part of a hike. You can always take a break on a steep uphill to catch your breath and let your quads rest. But if your knees have problems, you can wait an hour on a downhill break, and they will hurt the moment you startup again.

I'd suggest walking slowly up and down real stairs, bike riding, lightweight leg extensions and/or walking real hills (the more rocks the better).

Though given the fact you are already pounding the heck out of your knees playing soccer, you'll probably be fine.

jimmyjob
08-24-2005, 15:50
The one thing I see missing from your workout program is downhill training. Almost everyone will tell you that downhills are the toughest part of a hike. You can always take a break on a steep uphill to catch your breath and let your quads rest. But if your knees have problems, you can wait an hour on a downhill break, and they will hurt the moment you startup again.

I'd suggest walking slowly up and down real stairs, bike riding, lightweight leg extensions and/or walking real hills (the more rocks the better).

Though given the fact you are already pounding the heck out of your knees playing soccer, you'll probably be fine.
thanks for the great advise..i never thought about the downhill stuff.. and yeah soccer does pound my knees pretty bad, but i love the game(wish i didn't suck):-?.......i think i will add bike riding to my work out program......

thanks again

jimmyjob
08-24-2005, 15:51
thanks for all the great advise...i think i have the my plan set now......

you guys rock.....