PDA

View Full Version : Stair stepper, treadmill,oliiptical?

canoe
11-16-2013, 16:08
I live in the flatland of Eastern NC. No public buildings over 3stories (for climbing stairs). Would like to know your opinions on which exercise equipment would be best to simulate trail walking so I can stay in better shape when I can get to the hills. Is there equipment that strengthens legs for those downhills?

A/B
11-16-2013, 16:34
I live in flat RI. At the gym, I use the treadmill and set the pitch as high as it will go (15 degrees), and vary the speed. When I use the elliptical machine, which is easier on my knees, a good technique is to go backwards on it, say 3-5 minutes out of every 10 minutes on the machine. When I feel the burn, I know I'm doing well. Something as simple as deep knee bends are good; google skiing exercises, which emphasize the thighs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Gray Blazer
11-16-2013, 16:38
Keep walking in that 3 story building. Try it 10 times at first and see if it is not a good little workout and then build up from there. Football stadiums work, also. Going down the stairs will definitely help, too.

burger
11-16-2013, 17:15
+1 on the treadmill. If you're not in great shape, I'd start out walking uphill at, say 3-5% at a comfortable walking pace. Then, as you get fitter, you can increase your incline and/or the speed. As it gets easier, work up to wearing your a pack, too. You'll get funny looks at the gym, but you're also getting a way better workout than the folks who aren't carrying anything on their backs!

jimmyjam
11-16-2013, 17:15
I use my treadmill and elliptical with my backpack on. Also I'll stand on a step, or stack of books, with one foot and bend my knee to lower my other foot to the ground. Do about 30 or more of these day for both legs- it'll build up your leg muscles and strengthen your knees.

QiWiz
11-16-2013, 17:33
I used a stair stepper I got from someone on Craigslist prior to a 3-week section hike (Amicalola to Hot Springs) and I am convinced it did help me get better prepared for the hill climbs on trail.

MuddyWaters
11-16-2013, 17:45
+1 on the treadmill. If you're not in great shape, I'd start out walking uphill at, say 3-5% at a comfortable walking pace. Then, as you get fitter, you can increase your incline and/or the speed. As it gets easier, work up to wearing your a pack, too. You'll get funny looks at the gym, but you're also getting a way better workout than the folks who aren't carrying anything on their backs!

They sell weighted vests, 20-40lbs you can use inplace of a pack. Some gyms have one.

I would suggest weight training.

AND elliptical, treadmill, bike, and stepper.

Mix it up.

Google high intensity interval training (HIIT)

Its all good for the knees/legs/glutes. But if you want to do some good for the cardio system too, you need to breathe hard and sweat.

Dogwood
11-16-2013, 18:31
I mix it up like MW said but if I had to make a choice I'll take the elliptical as it's less of a high impact(on body) exercise. I mix it up on the elliptical as well - forward, reverse, standing toe and on my heels in both the forward and reverse modes and doing all of that in intergral taining mode.

daddytwosticks
11-16-2013, 19:17
I do about half an hour strength training and a half hour on the elliptical (hill climb) at our local gym. I try to do this every other day along with long walks and normal physical activity around my property. This keeps me in decent enough physical condition to enjoy every hike I take. :)

canoe
11-16-2013, 21:11
Thanks for all of the suggestions. this will help alot

Alligator
11-16-2013, 21:12
I use the treadmill and elliptical. While in the past I have used a stair stepper, the one's at my gym are awkward to use. I don't find the resistance easy to set to where the session flows.

We've got a couple of Tour de France trainer bikes that are like that too. The slightest grade change and the bikes lurch. They do not change smoothly.

kayak karl
11-16-2013, 21:13
if you do steps in a building do 2 steps at a time.

Sheriff Cougar
11-16-2013, 22:25
I live in the flatland of Eastern NC. No public buildings over 3stories (for climbing stairs). Would like to know your opinions on which exercise equipment would be best to simulate trail walking so I can stay in better shape when I can get to the hills. Is there equipment that strengthens legs for those downhills?
Walk on the treadmill backwards with it at incline. Same effect, IMHO.

Not Sunshine
11-16-2013, 23:54
When I lived in Eastern NC (Greenville) I went to the ECU football stadium twice weekly. Whenever it snowed, I'd head out to the bike trails just east of town and would hike around. And bored myself to tears over and over and over at Goosecreek. :-p Running the stadiums was the BEST!!

Whack-a-mole
11-21-2013, 01:03
Don't overlook the P90X plyo workout. It's pretty killer and a good indoor workout on those rainy days.

ChinMusic
11-21-2013, 01:11
Please consider some moderate weight training for your legs. It is my opinion that my weight training was my most important prehike preparation. Strengthening all those muscles that hold my joints together got my 55-yr-old knees to Katahdin without any issues.

Aerobics will make the early part of your thru more comfortable. Strong legs will help keep you on the trail.

aaronthebugbuffet
11-21-2013, 01:39
Squats and lunges.

Stalking Tortoise
11-21-2013, 07:43
I alternate between elliptical, treadmill, bike and stair climber at the gym. By far, I have found the stair climber the hardest but best piece of equipment to get me in shape for myAT section hikes.

Cookerhiker
11-21-2013, 08:54
I have an elliptical at home which works well for aerobic conditioning as well as the triceps.

A/B
11-21-2013, 10:51
Anyone use a Total Gym as part of their workout routine? From the infomercials, it seems to offer a pretty well rounded workout...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

TAG
11-21-2013, 11:14
According to my PT, the exercise that closest resemble hiking is cycling. However, it is important to ride correctly - nice round strokes on the peddles in order to build hamstrings.

Pedaling Fool
11-21-2013, 11:53
Anyone use a Total Gym as part of their workout routine? From the infomercials, it seems to offer a pretty well rounded workout...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)When it comes to building muscle, it's best to use freeweights; I wouldn't waste my money on the Total Gym. Free weights, because it is real world lifting; machines stabalize the weight for you, thereby not requiring one to move around weight always fighting momentum, as in the real world.

A good example of this Normal Dips on a dip bar vs. Dips on Gymnastic rings. https://www.google.com/search?q=dip+exercise+on+bars+vs+gymnastic+ring+im age&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QyuOUsmfCo2rkQe2qoDoBA&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=532

According to my PT, the exercise that closest resemble hiking is cycling. However, it is important to ride correctly - nice round strokes on the peddles in order to build hamstrings.
That hasn't been my experience; I'm a commuter cyclist, have been for decades. Deep squats are one of the best exercises for building up hamstrings and a simple squat more resembles hiking than cycling, which if you think about it, cycling is totally unnatural.

CB1821
11-21-2013, 12:05
Another vote for the treadmill at 15 degrees (I do at least 30 to 45 minutes at a good, aerobic pace) and for weight/strength training. I found doing the treadmill (and running some), along with squats, leg presses, and leg curls helps me (mostly) keep up with my 14-year-old on our backpacking trips.

chiefduffy
11-22-2013, 07:36
This is going to sound a little ghetto, but I bought an old treadmill off Craigs List, propped up the front on bricks to about 20-25 degrees incline. At that incline you don't even need to turn it on. I walked at a slow pace with a full pack for 45 mins or so every third day for about 6 wks before my hike. Made an incredible difference. Where I live it is flat as a billiard table, and they wont let you into stadiums to walk. I usually have a rough time in the mountains, but not this year!

Seatbelt
11-22-2013, 08:46
This is going to sound a little ghetto,

Was ya packin' heat or someting??:D Just kidding, how are ya Chief? Met you at Crazy Larry's this summer.

I have to agree with the incline treadmill idea--I was lucky enough to buy a Freemotion machine at an auction that will incline to 40 degrees--talk about a workout! It has really made a big difference for me as well. Highly recommend it.

Ktaadn
11-22-2013, 10:50
I've tried the treadmill at it's highest incline and walking steps, but I don't think they do a very good job of simulating real world hiking. A standard step is what, 7-8" tall? I know that the trail maintainers try to build rock steps that are a consistant heigth but they aren't perfect. If you are going to a gym, hopefully they have boxes that are 18", 24", 30" high or whatever. Try stepping up and down on those for about 10 minutes. The higher the better, because it forces you to lift your foot as high as you can and you are using a full range of motion. Sort of like doing a full range of motion squat on one leg. Resist the urge to put your hands on your thigh and push off. You can either step off the other side or step back in the direction that you came from. You will be surprised at how sore you are the next day. Especially in your hamstrings and glutes. That is where your power will come from. Not so much from your quads as you might think. If you aren't going to a gym or they don't have the boxes, just find a rock wall at a park or something that you can step up on.

Praha4
11-22-2013, 11:44
repeat hills or up n' down stairs with a weighted pack are good workouts for the mountains. Otherwise use a treadmill with inclines. My orthopedic doctor advised against elliptical machines. Good luck.

Drybones
11-22-2013, 12:15
I do stair steppers, elipticals and inclined treadmills and recently started using a small platform about 18" high (think large stool) to do step ups to strengthen the quads and glutes, it was the best simulation for a steep climb I could come up with, add weigh as you develop. I don't know if this new exercise was the reason or not but the hike I just completed was the first long hike that my torn miniscus didn't send me home early.

Pedaling Fool
11-22-2013, 16:36
My orthopedic doctor advised against elliptical machines.That's interesting. What is his/her rationale?