PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Historic Overlay Maps

WingedMonkey
11-16-2013, 18:30
Got this from one of my genealogy forums, fun to play with if you know your Western North Carolina Counties. (or what they use to be) and can then look at trail areas.

Most are from 1920's and 30's but the state maps from 1770 and 1808 are interesting. Also an 1884 Cherokee Nation map.

http://www2.lib.unc.edu/dc/ncmaps/interactive/overlay.html

About Historic Overlay Maps
Selected maps from the North Carolina Maps project can be viewed as Historic Overlay Maps, layered directly on top of current road maps or satellite images. By fading or "seeing through" the historic maps, users are able to compare the similarities and differences between old and new maps, and to study the changes in North Carolina over time.

Using Historic Overlay Maps
The Historic Overlay Maps are presented with a historic map placed on top of a current Google street map. The historic map has been geo-referenced, meaning that it should line up very closely with the current map. Using the Google map interface and check boxes to the left of the map, users can zoom in and out, move the images around, turn the historic map image on and off, or fade the historic map image.

WingedMonkey
11-16-2013, 19:36
This is a good one to explore. Go to the Swain County Highway Map, 1938.

Put the Google map on "Terrain" and the overlay on "Fade Historic Map"

Move the map to what is now Fontana Lake. With historic overlay you can see what the park looked like before the damn was built, where the buildings, railroad and roads were.

There is a road showing going from Forny following Creek almost up to Clingmans Dome passing the old CCC Camp Jonas. This is now trails.

Wise Old Owl
11-16-2013, 20:26
Wish the original AT was available in KML.

Train Wreck
11-20-2013, 16:02
I almost missed this post. Map nerds rejoice. This is a hidden gem! Thanks for posting it! I spent almost an hour playing with the overlay feature for the Macon & Clay County area.

Gravesbrock
12-10-2013, 01:31
Awesome thank!