PDA

View Full Version : Specific geography question for you

Seesfar
11-17-2013, 23:31
A bit about me. I am a recently retired teacher. I am fascinated by the AT. I live in Wyoming. I want to do the AT and have been devouring books. I just registered for this website today. Here is my question.... I am 59. In fair condition... have had several knee surgeries. I am going to do the AT in segments. Being gone for 6 months is not real in my life. I am wanting to start next May. I will go for several weeks. I want to start at an easy place on the trial. OK, easier, I understand there is no easy. So where is a flatter segment that gets tougher after a few weeks. I want to work my way into this. Right now I am thinking Harper's Ferry and proceeding North. This is just from reading. But really I have never been there. Please help with any advice. My thinking is to hike for a month or so and then head to Maine and get the northern terminus under my belt. Am I thinking right? Help please. Thanks so much.

Teacher & Snacktime
11-17-2013, 23:33
Yes, yes and yes. I've done tons of research and had decided the same thing. Our first hike was North out of Harper's Ferry for the exact same reasons. I'd recommend it one hundred times over.

Gray Blazer
11-17-2013, 23:35
How do your knees do now when you hike? I had ACL replacement a few years back and my knees hold up fine now. The ACL knee is actually better than the one that had no surgery.Doesn't bother me on the AT. I even play basketball.

Seesfar
11-17-2013, 23:36
You are great!

Seesfar
11-17-2013, 23:38
You know, the ACL is good. I had that surgery many years ago. In the days before it was a scope. Part of my patelar tendon is my ACL now. I am still and always will be a few degrees away from full extension, but no limp. It is very strong. I don't worry about it.

Seesfar
11-17-2013, 23:40
I love having found this site. I have a lot of questions...

Tinker
11-17-2013, 23:40
You will have several weeks before you hit the rocks of Pa. and there are no really tough climbs before you cross the Cumberland Valley half way through Pa. Other than the scarcity of water on the ridges north of Duncannon, I think this is a good choice.

aficion
11-17-2013, 23:42
Starting from Rockfish Gap at I-64 and going north through SNP is a good intro too. Not level, but not extreme. Beautiful that time of year with many wildflowers. Good places in the park to camp, resupply, get restaurant meals, take a day off, get water, take showers, and even bail out if necessary. The section from the north end of SNP to Harper's Ferry is not difficult either in spite of the Roller Coaster's rep. Continuing north from there will get your trail legs ready for what follows.

Seesfar
11-17-2013, 23:56
I actually considered that as well. Thanks. Might be a good place. I worry however that if it is too convenient, I might bail. From the comfort of my computer room, I am thinking I will be fine.... It might be best to get out there away from the Park. I really have not backpacked since I was a kid. I know it will be tough for me for a month or so. But I am kind of stubborn son of a gun. But I know I will struggle for a while.

aficion
11-18-2013, 00:00
I actually considered that as well. Thanks. Might be a good place. I worry however that if it is too convenient, I might bail. From the comfort of my computer room, I am thinking I will be fine.... It might be best to get out there away from the Park. I really have not backpacked since I was a kid. I know it will be tough for me for a month or so. But I am kind of stubborn son of a gun. But I know I will struggle for a while.

Two keys are get walking fit first, and once you start, take it easy. You'll be fine, wherever you start, if you'll just do those two things.

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 00:10
That is good advice. I think I could say I am walking fit now, but I am overweight. I do think I could start however. Thanks so much.

Dogwood
11-18-2013, 00:41
I'm surprised no one has said it yet but yet again this is a question, based on what you've told us, that should probably be addressed from an all around hiking approach. With your knee surgeries, YES terrain plays a significant role in the "ease(comfort)" of your hike. YES, TOTAL elevation changes and grade play into it. But, also look at 1) reducing kit wt 2) working your way into your hike. I can't emphasize this enough. Find an acceptable pace and MPD avg that your body can CURRENTLY take and move forward from there constantly observing, learning, and adjusting. You can start learning about that long before you travel out to the AT by hiking in Wyoming even if it's in a local park or walking with your pack to pick up groceries. It will also make you stronger, fitter, and more comfortable with backpacking

When I started my AT NOBO thru-hike on Apr 13 2006 I had been struck by a speeding automobile going 80 + MPH(accident scene investigators told me this) as a pedestrian walking across the street on Nov 21 2005. That's less than five months. Broken left ankle, cracked ribs, severely stretched ankle ligaments(almost snappped), 48 stitches in the head, nasty deep contusions from my shoulders down to my knees, deep lacerations requiring stitches in more than 1/2 places on my body, etc. Doctors thought I was paralyzed at first. You get the picture. I was still on crutches in late Feb. Ity was hard. especially since I had been an athlete now having to rehab my way back into life. Rehabbed my arse off. I did everything I knew to heal. That includes what went beyond standard conventional Western medical rehabilitation treatment. When I got on the AT I was still sore and stiff and having problems doing anything over 10 MPD. My ankle ligaments were no where near what they had been. My muscle tone was crap. My cardio was crap. I carried to much and too much wt on my back. I was eating like crap and eating a lot of junk food crap. Kept pushing on while learning, observing, adapting and managing myself and my hike. I know what it means to HAVE TO work into a hike! It was tough going. But it got easier. I'm not special. You can manage your hike too FOR YOU what's right FOR YOU.

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 00:54
Great info

Trailweaver
11-18-2013, 02:43
I have been section hiking for a while now - NOBO. I just started in Ga because I live here and it was the easiest way to go. It has been difficult at times, but not impossible. A friend recently pointed out (she's a thru hiker) that I'm really doing it the most difficult way. . . Every time I go out, she said, it's like my first time out,, because I don't ever get to hike long enough to get my "hiker legs" and if I do, by the time I get there, it's time to come home.

i thought about it, and she's right. . . No wonder I've struggled! I wish I could go out for several months, but like you, I can't stay gone from "my real life" that long. So anyway, I go when I can, hike as long as I can, and just don't stress over it. Wherever you start, it's probably going to be a challenge at first. You'll get used to it and learn how to pace yourself.

Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 08:24
Teacher and Snacktime, Remarkable that you started right where I was thinking of starting.

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 08:25
Trailweaver, Good that you are getting out there!

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 08:27
Dogwood, Sorry about that getting hit by a car. Holy Cow! you are a walking miracle!

Venchka
11-18-2013, 09:52
... I live in Wyoming. I want to do the AT ...
Scratches his head and mutters..."Say what?"
Good luck. You do live in one of the best places for training.

Wayne

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 11:53
That is true!

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 12:12
Venchka, I guess I want to do a long well known trail. Places I have not seen. Civil War stuff. Send pictures to my kids who also have never seen it. Also the resupply situation. I thought of the continental divide Trail which goes very close to my home. But resupply, and going alone. Maybe not a good idea. Although, I still think about it.

Venchka
11-18-2013, 12:26
You could use the Yellowstone section of the CDT for practice. The trail is well marked. The terrain is relatively benign. Mack's Inn to Dubois with groceries available at Old Faithful is easy enough to supply. If you like that part, the Wind River range is next. Living on the Gulf Coast, I dream of Wyoming.
I do understand going to new places. Have fun!

Wayne

Dogwood
11-18-2013, 12:31
Seesfar, I know there's a lot of AT frenzy - books, movies, documentaries, websites like Whiteblaze, famous trail, blah blah blah etc but don't think the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Do not get caught up in the AT hype. NOT only are you in a great place to train but an overall excellent geographical area for hiking just in Wyoming alone. Then, when you start exploring AWESOME hiking opps within a few hundred miles oooh la la - Hiking Nirvana. And, DO NOT assume all the terrain in your area wouldn't be conducive to an easier or more gradual hike! IMHO, if you have issues hiking some of the easier/least strenuous trails on the CDT, Wind River Range(lower elev/valley routes), Yellowstone NP, the Great Basin, etc it's going to be MUCH the same on the AT. Just pick easier least strenuous trails to hike to start out on. Think of it from this perspective. If something doesn't work out you'll be closer to home. First, learn to enjoy backpacking and hone some skills where you are before U head out across the country to the AT. just my 2 cts.

Dogwood
11-18-2013, 12:33
Venchka posted before me. He gets it too.

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 12:48
You might be right

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 14:00
My wife and I were canoe camping at Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone once in June. A grizzly came into camp. circled our tent at ten feet mid day. We were inside because of rain. He hung out for a bit. And left. I am unabashedly afraid of Grizz. One snapped twig and I am up all night. Not sure I want to backpack Yellowstone or Grizz country alone. LOL Another time we were in Shoshone again. I heard a crunch very near to me. Something was digging or something. It went on all night and I got no sleep. Turned out to be a mouse inside a candy bar wrapper right by my ear. I take kidding over that 25 years later. I knew I was going to be eaten in my bag just like a big burrito.

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 16:17
Excuse me for rattling on. Maybe I'm talking my way through this. I actually live in South East Wyoming with the Uintas behind me (wierdly enough you can see the highest peak in Utah from my home. Not the Soviet Union mind you, but you can see the highest peak in Utah from here. Anyways north and east of my home is all prairie. There are plenty of hikes in the high desert here. The resupply thing on the CDT is a worry. But I need to educate myself on that. Any good resources? Maybe I am caught up in the AT thing though. Be cool to say you did it. Be cooler to say you did the CDT though. I've got that post retirement need to show that I'm not worthless thing going.

Dogwood
11-18-2013, 16:35
Get over proving to others what you hiked and you'll have better hikes no matter where you decide to hike.

http://www.amazon.com/Yogis-Continental-Divide-Trail-Handbook/dp/1627490027 One of the BEST sources of CDT resupply info! You can buy Yogis CDT Guidebook in several places. NICELY done as are all of her thru-hiker guidebooks. Resupplying info is one the strongest aspects of her trail materials!

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/cdt06_miles.html

http://startlivingthetruth.com/cdtresupply.htm

Dogwood
11-18-2013, 16:41
Being recently retired or an "empty nester" does not end your entire worth! You have a multitude of things to still accomplish and contribute and are probably in a better place NOW to be more valuable as ever! CHANGE your perspective! Focus out and then look back at your CURRENT life. You'll notice just how worthy you are !~

Venchka
11-18-2013, 18:52
I know just enough about your half (northern half) of the CDT to be dangerous...
From reading trail journals, the longest stretch between grocery stores appears to be the section south of East Glacier, MT to Lincoln, MT. There is a ranch/cabins/tourist place about halfway through that section that will accept mail drop boxes of food. I recently got a new computer at work and lost my bookmarks. Surely Dogwood or MAGS know the place I'm talking about. Found it: http://www.benchmarkwildernessranch.com/
In round numbers, roughly 140 miles from East Glacier to the ranch and 120 miles to Lincoln. The other semi-dicey section for re-supply would be the southern end of the Winds and the Great Basin. You have to hitchhike into Lander for food. Since you live in that 'Hood, you should be able to figure out the re-supply. Heck, if it were easy, everybody would do it.
Here is a good NOBO trail journal. I skipped to the Wyoming line.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=423627

You do know that there are Hiker Eating Mice at every shelter on the AT? Grinning.

Wayne

Gray Blazer
11-18-2013, 18:58
Excuse me for rattling on. Maybe I'm talking my way through this. I actually live in South East Wyoming with the Uintas behind me (wierdly enough you can see the highest peak in Utah from my home. Not the Soviet Union mind you, but you can see the highest peak in Utah from here. Anyways north and east of my home is all prairie. There are plenty of hikes in the high desert here. The resupply thing on the CDT is a worry. But I need to educate myself on that. Any good resources? Maybe I am caught up in the AT thing though. Be cool to say you did it. Be cooler to say you did the CDT though. I've got that post retirement need to show that I'm not worthless thing going.

UIntas are beautiful. I've only seen them while whizzing past on the interstate. I've spent a little time in the Wind River Range. Also beautiful.

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 20:16
I just joined the CDT Society or some such thing and sent the money for a map of the Wyoming section. Thanks All. This is fun. Wow, I think I just changed directions!

MuddyWaters
11-18-2013, 20:31
Hard is relative. It really just depends on how fast and far per day you go, and how much weight you carry..
Go slow enough, and light enough, and any of it is easy.

In case you havent noticed, theres a 5 yo hiking the trail.

Seesfar
11-18-2013, 20:42
Thanks all for the links to Journals. You are all awesome!

Dogwood
11-18-2013, 22:24
Seesfar, here are two CDT links worth exploring. One is for Jonathan Ley's site who does an absolutely GREAT overall job of putting out a CDT mapset. He offers it free but let's all at least cover his expenses by sending him a well deserved donation. I can't recommend his topos enough. He updates it yearly and has most of the alternates on his maps. Plus, he notes some GREAT tips or suggestions on the maps.

http://www.phlumf.com/travels/cdt/cdtmaps.shtml

The second is Francis Tapon's site, the first CDT yo-yoer(he did the length of the CDT and then turned around and redid it in basically a unbroken fashion)! Besides being the first to yo yo the CDT he busts some CDT myths and gives much insight into the CDT that's useful to both a thru-hiker or someone out on a shorter CDT trek. Tapon's site has Leys maps as well if you just want a taste of Ley's WELL DONE mapset.

http://francistapon.com/Travels/Continental-Divide-Trail/CDT-Maps-by-Jonathan-Ley

I can't emphasize it enough. Th CDT is a great trail and the BEST part about it is it is in your backyard! You're in the southeast corner of Wyoming as well right between the Wind River Range and Yellowstone NP. Some of us wish we had it so bad as you.:) Have a great journey. Watch out though or you might bump into trail characters like me on a hike.:)

Welcome to WhiteBlaze.

Venchka
11-20-2013, 09:44
Only slightly off topic: The Teton Crest Trail. For practice.

http://www.awayfromthegrind.com/blog/hiking/leapfrogging-the-teton-crest/

I haven't been to Wyoming this Century. That is too long.

Wayne

Seesfar
11-20-2013, 14:12
I am definitely rethinking the AT. I know I am blessed to live here in Wyoming. It is just that my wife is from Tennessee and we have thought about her being able to put me on the trail and then she could spend some time back there. You know what has me worried most about the AT is ticks. Lyme and West Nile... But I am crab walking way from geography here.I have done tons of reading about ticks and skeeters and I think I know what anyone can know about preventing problems. I may start a thread in the appropriate place. Health etc. In fact I did post a thread about options other than shorts. I think I have a system in mind that will work. If any of you have any input I would admire to read what you have to say. I have sure enjoyed just learning about the gear and the trails and all even if I never go. I really am leaning towards making the Wyoming section of the CDT my goal and doing it in segments. Macks in to Lander one Year. I grew up not far from Macks Inn in Teton Valley Idaho. And then Lander to Colorado another year. Thanks to all of you. Let ke know what you can about tick and skeeter prevention here on on my "cool" alternatives to hiking shorts thread on the Health page please. Thanks! You guys and gals are super.