PDA

View Full Version : How well do you Yogi?

rickb
11-18-2013, 07:47
The practice/art of yogi-ing involves manipulating a good-hearted individual/chump to give you some thing or some service without asking for it directly. This anonymous poll asks how well do you yogi.

Odd Man Out
11-18-2013, 09:52
I question the term "chump". I'd like to think of it as giving kind-hearted and generous individuals the opportunity to be kind-hearted and generous.

Rasty
11-18-2013, 09:56
I question the concept of softly conning unsuspecting people. Only total jerks would do this.

WingedMonkey
If you are a section hiker is it yogi-ing? Slack-packer? Yellow-blazer?

Sarcasm the elf
Is this a poll to see how well you yogi from people, or how well people yogi from you? I think both questions would be valid.

ChinMusic
11-18-2013, 09:57
I had some fun with the Art of Yogiing in the Whites. Here is a link to my blog entry from that day: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=429973

Today I want to give y'all a lesson on the art of Yogiing. To Yogi is to
secure food from non-thruhikers, preferably through very subtle cues. The more
subtle the cue the better the Yogi. I had a great day with my Yogiing attempts
today. That has not always been the case. I have often failed miserably on what
I thought were slam-dunks.

First was breakfast. The dad who has been fly fishing the evening before was
cooking pancakes on his large camp stove. I mentioned that that was an
impressive stove. He then asked what kind of stove I had. The bait had been
taken. The fisherman had become the fish. I said that I didn't carry a stove and
settled for hot food on town stops. He then kindly asked if I would like a
pancake. "Heck yes I would." I got three.

The second time was from this nice couple. We were hiking the same trail and
had chatted on and off. We just happened to take a snack break on the same
mountain top. I mentioned something about the wild blueberries to get the
conversation switched to food. They asked how often and where I resupply food. I
said that in The Whites it can be a long way between spots, which is true.
Looking good so far.

They then offered me some chocolate-covered cranberries. She opened the bag
expecting me to reach in. As a thruhiker it is a no-no to reach in another
person's food bag. Our hands are simply not clean, so I opened my hand to have
her pour some in. Along with this being proper trail etiquette it scores more
pieces. Win-win.
I continued to see this couple and we kept chatting. As we were talking about
things related to the trail, I owned-up to my Yogiing. Fortunately they thought
is was funny and all in good humor. It's small stuff like this that just add so
much to a day.

I think I had an "accidental Yogi" later on in the Whites. A weekend hiker tried to give me $10 to "get a good meal". I politely declined.

HikerMom58
11-18-2013, 10:31
Is this a poll to see how well you yogi from people, or how well people yogi from you? I think both questions would be valid.

To answer ur question.... I'm terrible at yogi-ing from other people. It's not black and white.. this yogi-ing deal. It's not all a negative, IMHO.

I find it easy to give but find it harder to receive. That's not good, sometimes. TOW helped me with that when we I met him in Damascus. He's a giving person so he wanted to give me something. I told him no at first but he called me on it. I, then, graciously accepted his gift and I have enjoyed it so much. THANKS TOW!!

I don't feel like people yogi from me successfully very often, in a negative way. Giving people take that chance, all the time. I'd rather be taken advantage of sometimes then not be a giving person. I can usually tell when someone is being a jerk, like Rasty said.

If I don't want to really know, I "overlook" things. I'll admit it. But, I feel my generosity is in synch with my "gut feeling", most of the time.

Obviously, there's something in it for the ones that gives to others, that's the way we are "wired". It does feel very good & if you are a "people person", there's that too. :)

The worst "givers", in my opinion, are the ones with strings attached.

Old Hiker
11-18-2013, 10:47
I question the concept of softly conning unsuspecting people. Only total jerks would do this.

This is my opinion as well.

MDSection12
11-18-2013, 10:52
I'm the yogiee not the yogier... I dunno why, but it's always been that way. I think my enthusiasm for things makes it easy to get me sharing what I got with you.

Traffic Jam
11-18-2013, 14:17
I wish I hadn't read this thread. I'd prefer to be naive and think of myself as kind hearted rather than an unsuspecting fool. I'll never be able to do anything nice for another hiker again without wondering if I'm being played.

Coffee
11-18-2013, 14:25
I personally feel better if I am in a position to reciprocate in some way. I do not feel good about accepting things of value from strangers without providing anything in return. The instinct of reciprocity is a fairly basic psychological trait that most people seem to have.

aficion
11-18-2013, 14:29
I wish I hadn't read this thread. I'd prefer to be naive and think of myself as kind hearted rather than an unsuspecting fool. I'll never be able to do anything nice for another hiker again without wondering if I'm being played.

Then you've been played. Don't neglect the natural generosity in your spirit. Its a gift given to you, for your benefit. There is a difference between being a fool and a friend.
Trust your gut.

Pedaling Fool
11-18-2013, 15:15
A lot of people don't get what it is to be a yogi. It's not the same as begging and you DON'T do it to other hikers. And you're never ever direct, such as walking up to picknickers and saying something like: "Boy, those are some real nice looking hotdogs..." That would be too direct.

This is all about unloading food off of over-fed Americans that have obviously brought out too much food with them, as they always do. You also have to know when you've overstayed your visit, even if you failed at your yogi attempt.

Americans throw away 90-billion pounds of food per year; that is why yogi'ng is a good thing :) http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/06/16/3346605/you-can-waste-less-food-at-home.html

Coffee
11-18-2013, 15:32
A lot of people don't get what it is to be a yogi. It's not the same as begging and you DON'T do it to other hikers. And you're never ever direct, such as walking up to picknickers and saying something like: "Boy, those are some real nice looking hotdogs..." That would be too direct.

So it is basically some sort of game? I don't get it ... if I ask someone at a trailhead for a ride, that isn't part of the game but if I say "Man, that's going to be a LONG walk to town" and try to look pathetic and tired and THEN get a ride offered, that's within the rules?

Seems like a silly distinction to me. Might as well be direct and, if possible, offer something in return like helping chip in for gas.

aficion
11-18-2013, 15:40
So it is basically some sort of game? I don't get it ... if I ask someone at a trailhead for a ride, that isn't part of the game but if I say "Man, that's going to be a LONG walk to town" and try to look pathetic and tired and THEN get a ride offered, that's within the rules?

Seems like a silly distinction to me. Might as well be direct and, if possible, offer something in return like helping chip in for gas.
It is basically hanging around people who are out for the day who are interested in what you are doing and have stuff they are glad to share while you both enjoy each others company, and you enjoy their generosity. Nothing sinister. I don't do it because I'm pretty much out there to get away from people for a bit and have what I want and need with me.

HikerMom58
11-18-2013, 15:43

Your avatar is so cute & goes along with ur comment, I think.. CUTE!

I can relate & I'll tell you straight up how it's affected me.

If you do nice things for hikers & then hear how people really feel about your generosity and how they "play" you, it's depressing and hurtful. It makes you not want to do anything nice for anyone EVER again.

I have felt like a total fool after reading such comments.

The negative thing that has happened to me, personally- I have changed b/c of it. I'm not nearly as generous as I used to be & I think twice about everything I do.

On a positive note... I have learned that not everyone wants to be "bothered" with acts of kindness. I am so much more aware of that now too. That was a good thing that came out of it all. I can totally understand that. It's good to find that balance.

It caused me to do a lot of introspection, that was a good thing too! :)

It rocks ur world for a moment but then you find your joy again. :>)

Traffic Jam
11-18-2013, 16:36
I've been taken advantage of many times and there's nothing that I hate more. As a nurse, I've gone hungry after giving my lunch away to homeless patients, and buying food for their children, and partner, only to see them later buying cigarettes and junk food. This **** is no different. I'm outta here, WB is definitely not good for my soul right now.

ChinMusic
11-18-2013, 16:45
Holy Cow, that is the mother of all overreactions.

aficion
11-18-2013, 16:55

Seems to be going around. Did you see that moon last night?

Coffee
11-18-2013, 17:08
It is basically hanging around people who are out for the day who are interested in what you are doing and have stuff they are glad to share while you both enjoy each others company, and you enjoy their generosity. Nothing sinister. I don't do it because I'm pretty much out there to get away from people for a bit and have what I want and need with me.

I don't think that it is sinister, I just wonder whether being direct isn't a better way of going about it.

Old Hiker
11-18-2013, 17:19
Oh, good grief !!

I just caught on that this thread is in the HUMOR section. Sheesh.

aficion
11-18-2013, 17:24
I don't think that it is sinister, I just wonder whether being direct isn't a better way of going about it.

I get that and I tend to connect with, and therefore offer to help more readily, someone who is right up front. Coming back from a trail head I'll offer a ride to someone I have a good feeling about after sizing them up. Obviously I will help anyone in dire need regardless. But if someone strikes me as untrustworthy, and they are not in an emergency, I just don't offer.

Odd Man Out
11-18-2013, 17:27
I've been doing some recreational web surfing on trekking in the Pamir Mountains of Tajikistan this week (hope to get there someday - I have a friend in Khorog). There it seems the custom of the local inhabitants is to invite every trekker in for bread and shir chai (tea, salt, goat milk, butter). You don't have to Yogi - they invite you no matter what. The problem is, these are not Americans throwing away 90 billion lbs of food per year. They are semi-nomadic sustenance farmers who may have nothing to eat except bread and shir chai (breakfast, lunch, dinner, 365 days/year). So one is faced with another dilemma - let's call it an anit-Yogi, the is to decline or pay for the hospitality without offending the host. Or you could share a Mountain House you packed in all the way from Michigan. Of course, split 7 ways with everyone in the family, it won't go very far. But if you get to that 16,000 foot pass and find yourself hungry because you gave away all your food, well then you are getting a hint of what it is like to live like a local.

see the "A note on hospitality" section on this page. http://www.pamirs.org/trekking.htm

atmilkman
11-18-2013, 17:29
I've been taken advantage of many times and there's nothing that I hate more. As a nurse, I've gone hungry after giving my lunch away to homeless patients, and buying food for their children, and partner, only to see them later buying cigarettes and junk food. This **** is no different. I'm outta here, WB is definitely not good for my soul right now.

Come to Florida right now, the masters of seasonal homelessness are out in full force at every intersection. 4 to an intersection, looking as pitiful as can be. Soon as they get enough change - it's a tall-boy behind the gas station. They are the true masters of yogiing. Put hikers to shame.

Toon
11-18-2013, 17:33
I run into people at trailheads or overlooks all the time. They always have tons of questions and I'm nice and in no hurry so we end up having a 10 minute q@a about thru hiking. 50% of the time they offer you food or a soda maybe $5 not often do u get offered money. I don't talk to them in the intention of getting something I'm just being nice and like to inform people about thru hiking. So I have no problems accepting there gifts.

Coffee
11-18-2013, 17:37
Come to Florida right now, the masters of seasonal homelessness are out in full force at every intersection. 4 to an intersection, looking as pitiful as can be. Soon as they get enough change - it's a tall-boy behind the gas station. They are the true masters of yogiing. Put hikers to shame.

There is a guy I often see at a local intersection who has a cardboard sign saying that he needs money to buy alcohol. I often observe people giving this guy money - certainly more than others with more typical signs. Sometimes being direct is a virtue (although I would never give the guy money myself knowing what he would use it for).

atmilkman
11-18-2013, 17:45
There is a guy I often see at a local intersection who has a cardboard sign saying that he needs money to buy alcohol. I often observe people giving this guy money - certainly more than others with more typical signs. Sometimes being direct is a virtue (although I would never give the guy money myself knowing what he would use it for).

Yep. There was one here and he even made the newspaper. His sign said he wasn't homeless, he wasn't hungry, didn't want to work for food, just wanted money for drinking and didn't want to spend his. He was getting handouts left and right. People were laughing like heck, shaking his hand, taking his picture of him with his sign and giving him money. Pure genius.

rickb
11-18-2013, 17:51
Oh, good grief !! I just caught on that this thread is in the HUMOR section. Sheesh.It's funny because it true :-).I used to think it fun to introduce myself to one of the current crop of thru hikers as someone who had a similar experience. Still is, but it can be even more fun not to, and just listen to some of their schtick.

G.G.
11-18-2013, 17:59
However you want to put it, you can't shine a terd.

Malto
11-18-2013, 18:10
Yogi-ing is a very refined artform. There is no ill will at all. It is all about how to drop a subtle hint, the more subtle the better and allowing strangers to feel good about themselves. Here is example that I wrote about in my journal.

I meant to talk this yesterday. To Yogi is to make "civilians" feel good by giving you food. I am trying to perfect it to an art. Example: as we were hiking across a gravel road the driver asked if I needed some water which prompted the Yogi response that we had plenty of water but that we are hurrying because we are running low on food. We got a full bag of Tostitos and four beers. Everyone was happy

Slo-go'en
11-18-2013, 18:28

I came down to the Bear Mountain picnic area on a busy weekend. It was really hard not to walk over to some big group or family and beg food. You start getting wiffs of all those bbq's going on and it takes serious will power to walk past them all the way to the consession stand.

The ideal thing to do at picnic areas is to find an empty table near a family or older couple. Pull out the smallest bag of gorp you have and start eating one peanut at a time while wishfully glancing over to the burgers on the grill once in a while. If food is then offered, and a good chance it will be, you are then obligated to answer the 20 questions and provide some interesting tails from the trail.

ChinMusic
11-18-2013, 18:31
Yogi-ing is a very refined artform. There is no ill will at all. It is all about how to drop a subtle hint, the more subtle the better and allowing strangers to feel good about themselves. Here is example that I wrote about in my journal.

I meant to talk this yesterday. To Yogi is to make "civilians" feel good by giving you food. I am trying to perfect it to an art. Example: as we were hiking across a gravel road the driver asked if I needed some water which prompted the Yogi response that we had plenty of water but that we are hurrying because we are running low on food. We got a full bag of Tostitos and four beers. Everyone was happy
This is the mild stuff I like. Just little things. It's not like you are trying to take food from the hungry or anything untoward. Yogiing should be in good fun with no ill-intent. That guy that made me some pancakes enjoyed making those pancakes or he wouldn't have asked. We chatted about my thru for about 30 minutes until his son woke up. Folks in general are so nice most of the time.

Slo-go'en
11-18-2013, 19:06
Speaking of pancakes, I was camped alone at a car camp ground in Glacier last summer. A woman and her daughter were camped in the next site over. The next morning she waved me over and offered me pancakes. Yes, folks are nice and often offer stuff without you asking.

Sarcasm the elf
11-18-2013, 19:17

Seriously, this thread got a lot nastier than I had imagined it possibly could. Maybe people have very different definitions of yogiing than I do.

Oh, good grief !!

I just caught on that this thread is in the HUMOR section. Sheesh.

Yeah that seems to have been lost on some folks, but more so than that, I'm amazed at how some people are getting this pissed off about it.

I was taught that proper yogiing was simply the practice of putting yourself in a position where it was very easy others to help you if they felt like it. No need to ask or pressure them, just giving them the opportunity to lend a hand if they felt like it.

I am usually on the giving end of a yogi, though i've been on the receiving end a couple of times, and often by accident. Personally I like the yogi when I'm on the giving end, if i feel like helping out i usually get a greatful thank you and some trail news and stories in exchange, I'm quite happy with the situation.

Drybones
11-18-2013, 19:23
Then you've been played. Don't neglect the natural generosity in your spirit. Its a gift given to you, for your benefit. There is a difference between being a fool and a friend.
Trust your gut.

Good post! In the long run you always get back more than you give whether it's a yogi or not.

ChinMusic
11-18-2013, 19:51
I am usually on the giving end of a yogi.....

I was until my thru this year too. Not necessarily talking about yogiing here: As generous as I had been in the past to my fellow hikers, I have LONG way to go to make up for all the generosity I received from others during my 6 months. I had no idea that so much help would be offered by total strangers along the way. It was truly one of the biggest surprised I had on my thru. I hope to be able to aid future classes in some way. It's contagious......

HikerMom58
11-18-2013, 20:44
I was until my thru this year too. Not necessarily talking about yogiing here: As generous as I had been in the past to my fellow hikers, I have LONG way to go to make up for all the generosity I received from others during my 6 months. I had no idea that so much help would be offered by total strangers along the way. It was truly one of the biggest surprised I had on my thru. I hope to be able to aid future classes in some way. It's contagious......

That's how I feel too, Chin, the only difference is all this kindness was lavished on my daughter... this is one thankful "mom" that can't pay it forward, enough. When I give a ride or whatever to a hiker and they say, "you are just like my mom", "I can't wait to tell her about what you did for me". It doesn't get any better, for me, than that. I get hooked on that type of giving back.

I can also relate to Itri & her feelings b/c when I read comments about this very thing (aka "trail magic"), I was never so hurt & insulted in my life. Not only was the message sent to me that it was unappreciated but the greatest insult of all was that, I was the "needy person". "Hiker's don't need any thing & you are the "fool" that chases after them. I read comments like, "Heck yeah, if someone wants to give me a cold soda or whatever, I won't turn it down but I don't need it, EVER." Again, making the "giver" feel like the biggest idiot!
I don't blame Itri for being insulted by what she read. You have to be sensitive about how you come across. Chin, I know you didn't mean any harm at all. But, I KNOW you, she doesn't.

imscotty
11-18-2013, 20:47
It is basically hanging around people who are out for the day who are interested in what you are doing and have stuff they are glad to share while you both enjoy each others company, and you enjoy their generosity. Nothing sinister..

Reciprocity is at the heart of a good Yogi. I once went car camping with a Master Yogier. We had nothing for breakfast? No problem. He was one of those people whose warmth and wit just made people want to be around him.. After striking up friendly conversations with our neighboring campers in no time coffee was being poured, another family brought over a dozen eggs, another contributed bacon and so on. Before you knew it there were a dozen people around our campfire bringing together all the fixings for a fine breakfast. What this man gave them in return was his humor, goodwill and true love for his fellow man. To Yogi is not a con, but sharing an experience of genuine camaraderie that benefits all parties. The providers of our breakfast that day went home with laughter, great memories and with warm hearts. It was a reciprocal exchange.

I am not a skilled Yogier. I am shy and usually like to keep to myself, but I try to fight against that sometimes because we all benefit from engaging humanity. Sometimes that means giving, sometimes that means graciously receiving but mostly it involves an exchange. You can offer the family you meet picnicking at Bear Mountain picnic area or other wayside a window into a world they may never know otherwise. And if the people there want to share their tasty burgers with you, all the better.

Pedaling Fool
11-18-2013, 20:58

Seems like a silly distinction to me. Might as well be direct and, if possible, offer something in return like helping chip in for gas.I've never done if for a ride or anything else. It's just one of those things some thru-hikers find out by accident when they stop in an area where there are a bunch of picknickers and once they insist you have some food a "light goes off"...

But it is not a very big part of hiking, but at the same time it's one of the funnest parts to break the monotony of a long-distance hike. And like others have said, you're giving them something in return, your stories.

I can't believe how some are confusing this with begging. And it's nothing like trail feeds, which are too organized. I walk by those regardless of how hungry I am.

HikerMom58
11-18-2013, 21:18
I've never done if for a ride or anything else. It's just one of those things some thru-hikers find out by accident when they stop in an area where there are a bunch of picknickers and once they insist you have some food a "light goes off"...

But it is not a very big part of hiking, but at the same time it's one of the funnest parts to break the monotony of a long-distance hike. And like others have said, you're giving them something in return, your stories.

I can't believe how some are confusing this with begging. And it's nothing like trail feeds, which are too organized. I walk by those regardless of how hungry I am.

I don't want to start anything with you... I want to "pick your brain". :D Explain to me why you wouldn't partake in another "exchange" on the trail just b/c someone "planned" it. The thing that really kicks it up a notch is that you would walk by even though you were hungry. That is sooo interesting to me. Explain the logic behind this, if you don't mind. :)

rickb
11-18-2013, 21:25
I can't believe how some are confusing this with begging.

A good Yogi is like a skimpy bikini.

A thing of true beauty when properly presented-- but not something you really want to see your average hiker getting into.

That said, I think it is every thru's responsibility to target beers at a shelter like the mice target your food bag. In fact, not doing so would be turning your back on a a great tradition. Sometimes people just need a little help doing what is right!

Malto
11-18-2013, 21:29
To Yogi is not a con, but sharing an experience of genuine camaraderie that benefits all parties. The providers of our breakfast that day went home with laughter, great memories and with warm hearts. It was a reciprocal exchange.

Very well stated. I also view hitching in the same way. I got a ride and the driver became a small part of a bigger adventure. It was absolutely a reciprocal exchange. (I met some of the coolest people while hitching on the PCT and other trails I've hiked.)

Malto
11-18-2013, 21:31
[/B]

I don't want to start anything with you... I want to "pick your brain". :D Explain to me why you wouldn't partake in another "exchange" on the trail just b/c someone "planned" it. The thing that really kicks it up a notch is that you would walk by even though you were hungry. That is sooo interesting to me. Explain the logic behind this, if you don't mind. :)

It is the same reason that guys don't marry women that are easy. (Wow, I probably opened Pandora's box.)

Last Call
11-18-2013, 21:45
[/B]

Kinda like funerals are not for the deceased, but for the ones that are grieving....

HikerMom58
11-18-2013, 21:49
It is the same reason that guys don't marry women that are easy. (Wow, I probably opened Pandora's box.)

Oh. My. Gosh!! :o Malto- I knew there was some reason why I was never a fan of trail feeds...here it is!! NOT! :eek:

I'm still waiting on PF's response though... this is going to be good! :D

HikerMom58
11-18-2013, 21:51
Kinda like funerals are not for the deceased, but for the ones that are grieving....

So it's not an "exchange" in your mind... it's all about the "giver" in this case. Ok, I hear ya.. :)

MDSection12
11-18-2013, 22:11
Honestly I'm pretty stubborn about this in general, not just hiking. I would rather not take assistance, even when I probably need it. Part of it is certainly pride related, but it's also just not wanting to feel like I'm indebted to someone. I know it is not given with that in mind in most cases, but in my mind that doesn't change the facts... If someone helps me I am put in a situation where I want to reciprocate. It's easier on my mind to just go without. Cognitive dissonance and all that.

Biggie Master
11-18-2013, 22:40
That said, I think it is every thru's responsibility to target beers at a shelter like the mice target your food bag.

I don't always yogi for beer at shelters, but when I do...

bfayer
11-18-2013, 23:10
I have news for all you yogiers out there, probably 99.9% of the folks that give you stuff: 1. know exactly what you are doing, and 2. would give it to you anyway if you would just politely ask.

This is especially true in the south. There is kind of an unwritten code in the south that says you don't ask others for help (its a pride thing), and if you think someone needs help, you give them what you can without making them ask. This is especially true with the older generation.

You may think you're developing a fine art, but actually your taking advantage of a social norm under somewhat false pretenses.

My point is if you want something just ask. Most folks will say yes anyway, at least the ones that would give in to your yogi would.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

aficion
11-18-2013, 23:27
People who are yogiable are nice folks doing what comes naturally. All one has to do is find them. It is sometimes difficult to avoid them. My brief time outs in the woods are precious personal time and I avoid them where possible.

WingedMonkey
11-19-2013, 08:54
This is especially true in the south.

There is also a Southern tradition of saying "Thank you very much, but I'm fine".

We don't need to eat three plates of food to prove to Grandma that we love her cooking.

HikerMom58
11-19-2013, 10:23
Honestly I'm pretty stubborn about this in general, not just hiking. I would rather not take assistance, even when I probably need it. Part of it is certainly pride related, but it's also just not wanting to feel like I'm indebted to someone. I know it is not given with that in mind in most cases, but in my mind that doesn't change the facts... If someone helps me I am put in a situation where I want to reciprocate. It's easier on my mind to just go without. Cognitive dissonance and all that.

That's very interesting MD!! I can understand how you're thinking... I can relate to pieces of what you shared, myself. Thanks!

People who are yogiable are nice folks doing what comes naturally. All one has to do is find them. It is sometimes difficult to avoid them. My brief time outs in the woods are precious personal time and I avoid them where possible.

aficion ... that's cool too! It's helpful for "givers" to realize that it's not that you think they are idiots for wanting or willing to "share" with you, you just treasure your "alone time". :cool:

I like the poster that brought up the word "exchange". It's a great way to put this interaction into a word. Love it! It works!

bfayer, you post, as always, I find interesting too. Humm..... :>) :cool:

Pedaling Fool
11-19-2013, 10:31
Oh. My. Gosh!! :o Malto- I knew there was some reason why I was never a fan of trail feeds...here it is!! NOT! :eek:

I'm still waiting on PF's response though... this is going to be good! :DActually, Malto gives a pretty good analogy, I don't have anything better.

I've participated in the first few trail feeds I first saw, but I quickly became sick of the feverish anticipation of the other hikers. You hear about these "trail magic" events well before you get there and it's just sickening to me how the hikers are in a frenzy over these things to the point where they start to expect them and even are quite upset if it turns out that the trail feed is not at the expected location; I've seen some get really pissed over that.

I've heard of them listening to sermons to get their food. In that case it was actually my first trail feed I passed up, somewhere in NC.

There were people taking hikers to a house from a roadcrossing saying they had all kinds of food, including pancakes and tons of other stuff; I passed it up. I later heard that the hikers had to sit around and listen to a sermon before they got their food. At that point I became convinced I would never ever participate in trail feeds.

I've had other encounters where they come out into the woods (far beyond road crossings) to feed hikers...I've learned to hate them.

HikerMom58
11-19-2013, 11:16
Actually, Malto gives a pretty good analogy, I don't have anything better.

I've participated in the first few trail feeds I first saw, but I quickly became sick of the feverish anticipation of the other hikers. You hear about these "trail magic" events well before you get there and it's just sickening to me how the hikers are in a frenzy over these things to the point where they start to expect them and even are quite upset if it turns out that the trail feed is not at the expected location; I've seen some get really pissed over that.

I've heard of them listening to sermons to get their food. In that case it was actually my first trail feed I passed up, somewhere in NC.

There were people taking hikers to a house from a roadcrossing saying they had all kinds of food, including pancakes and tons of other stuff; I passed it up. I later heard that the hikers had to sit around and listen to a sermon before they got their food. At that point I became convinced I would never ever participate in trail feeds.

I've had other encounters where they come out into the woods (far beyond road crossings) to feed hikers...I've learned to hate them.

Ahhhh... I see-- no wonder you feel the way you do about the trail feeds. It makes sense. Btw.... I like your explanation a lot more than Malto's. ;) JK, Malto... THanks for sharing, PF.

I've never participated in an organized "trail feed", myself. I'm interested in helping out sometime with one, only b/c I read about one in a log book, near the Blue Ridge Parkway. (in my backyard) Someone had gone up there close to July 4th, this year, to provide food for hikers passing through. The ones that were writing about it were so appreciative & it sounded like something I would like to be a part of sometime. I just thought to myself after reading that.. SWEET!

The place that "whoever" set up this thing up, did it in a perfect place b/c resupply options are few and far between. It was quite a distance from Daleville & resupply heading North from there is not great.

But, I have to admit, when I come back home and read comments on here about how people feel about this type of thing, I'm conflicted. Maybe I shouldn't bother.. just forget it. What do y'all think?

Capt Nat
11-19-2013, 11:26
Most people have good hearts, but some have motives. It's true with both hikers and trail angels. It's really nice when good hearts get together, thats when the "exchange" happens….

aficion
11-19-2013, 11:30
Ahhhh... I see-- no wonder you feel the way you do about the trail feeds. It makes sense. Btw.... I like your explanation a lot more than Malto's. ;) JK, Malto... THanks for sharing, PF.

I've never participated in an organized "trail feed", myself. I'm interested in helping out sometime with one, only b/c I read about one in a log book, near the Blue Ridge Parkway. (in my backyard) Someone had gone up there close to July 4th, this year, to provide food for hikers passing through. The ones that were writing about it were so appreciative & it sounded like something I would like to be a part of sometime. I just thought to myself after reading that.. SWEET!

The place that "whoever" set up this thing up, did it in a perfect place b/c resupply options are few and far between. It was quite a distance from Daleville & resupply heading North from there is not great.

But, I have to admit, when I come back home and read comments on here about how people feel about this type of thing, I'm conflicted. Maybe I shouldn't bother.. just forget it. What do y'all think?

A poll might be interesting. I have no problems with uncoercive feeds. Great that I have the option to partake or pass on by. Many appreciate the food and generosity of the givers and it would be a shame to take the "exchange" of goodwill away. Polls are always fun and revealing.

ChinMusic
11-19-2013, 11:46
I tended to avoid hiker feeds in towns and felt kind of guilty by not attending. But, if in town I wanted something better than hotdogs.

HikerMom58
11-19-2013, 12:40
Most people have good hearts, but some have motives. It's true with both hikers and trail angels. It's really nice when good hearts get together, thats when the "exchange" happens….

I'm hanging my hat on this post, right here. This is it!! This makes sense to me. I get it!

This is the truth... Thanks Capt Nat! :D

What would be great if both hiker and "angel" could be easily identified as 2 their motives & force an "exchange". That way everyone would "deserve" each other.. BOOM!

Was that a lil mean?

I truly like to believe that the majority,on both sides, have good motives. I'm going with that....:sun

Slo-go'en
11-19-2013, 17:34

That's a whole different kettle of fish than yogging from random tourists or picnic'ers you happen to meet along the way. I stopped to chat with a couple of woman a little north of the summit of Graylock in Mass while doing that section. Before long I was being treated to a gormet lunch they had brought up. I didn't exactly yoggi the lunch, just happend to be at the right place at the right time.

Traffic Jam
11-19-2013, 18:18
I don't get angry very often and I certainly regret my outburst of anger yesterday. It took an 8 mi run yesterday and a day of hiking today, but I have cooled off. Ya'll continue doing what you feel is right...but if you ever come across me on the trail, please just ask me for what you want.

WingedMonkey
11-19-2013, 18:23
Before long I was being treated to a gormet lunch they had brought up.

A totally random unplanned act of sharing. I'm sure they didn't set out to do "trail magic" or label themselves "trail angels".

That's the kinda of things that make trail memories.

Hoofit
11-19-2013, 18:40
Don't much like the term, "yogiing"
too similar to Yoga,,a,much more natural lifestyle that is often shared with others.
i just don't see how this is anything but bumming off others...taking advantage of other people's generosity.
at least show the givers some respect.....
hopefully the takers will learn to give back one day.....share and share alike, we all need help sometimes but to set out to do it all day?
just go home and earn some money for yourself before your hike
yoga is shared, yogiing is just taking....

MDSection12
11-20-2013, 14:42
Does the term come from Yogi the Bear? Anyone ever Yogi a picnic basket?

Sarcasm the elf
11-20-2013, 15:43
Does the term come from Yogi the Bear? Anyone ever Yogi a picnic basket?
I tried to once, but the rangers caught me and confiscated the bear costume.

Train Wreck
11-20-2013, 16:29

Spirit Bear
11-20-2013, 17:35
I get yogied all the time. Last spring I was up at the NOC with my girlfriend having breakfast at that little restaurant by the river. We started chatting with a guy who was thru hiking, he said his 4th one. He told my girlfriend this long story about how he nearly had hypothermia the night before, that it had rained and the 2 shelters prior to the NOC were full so he attempted to hike 35 miles and failed. Got to a FS road and found a truck, crawled under it and called someone to get him from the NOC. He didn't have a shelter of any kind and said he slept in the shelters. What he said. Anyway I felt bad enough for him that I not only paid for his breakfast but went out to my car and gave him the rest of my bourbon I had stashed away, we were going camping up in the smokeys. He said he was taking a zero and fully appreciated the trail magic. He totally yogied us and it felt great. Most people don't mind helping out or they would never offer.

evyck da fleet
11-21-2013, 00:13
I know this is the humour section but...I probably tried to Yogi a couple of times with mixed results. Ultimately, I didn't like playing the game and enjoying just talking to people along the way about our hikes or what I needed to see or do nearby more. If they happened to offer me a ride, place to stay, food, gear etc I appreciated the trail magic much more than anything I could have gotten by yogi-ing.

FooFighter'12
11-21-2013, 01:36

A day north of Hot Spings? If so, you are talking about Hercules and F.A.L. It was raining when I came across their sign. I thought, "what the heck", and walked down the road to their house. I was greeted very warmly by them and their dog. They shared stories of their through hike while we ate. There weren't any sermons. After eating they asked a question, to me it sounded like a riddle, but the answer posed the possibility of a higher power. Then, they brought forth a stack of books such as CS Lewis, philosophy, etc and offered one if I wanted. Never once did I feel awkward. They not only fed me a good meal, they fed my soul. It lifted my spirits on that wet day to have a nice personal connection with such nice people. My mind was stimulated for a couple days from the conversation we had. Many hikers I knew passed that house out of fear but what I felt, was that it strangely reminded me of home. I am thankful for that experience and many more.

Lucy Lulu
11-21-2013, 08:08
I think everyone has very good points, and usually find the perspectives differ with the personalities. I usually avoid the hiker feeds, mostly because I personally just don't enjoy crowds and would prefer to keep hiking. That said though, some of the best encounters on the trail for me have involved the generosity of other hikers I meet. I was headed SOBO on the AT this year and met a gentleman on top of South Twin. It was a tough climb and I had just collapsed on a boulder in the sun. He came up shortly after me and sat down to chat. He was retired and a mountaineer that had climbed all over the world. It was a fascinating conversation. About 30 minutes into the conversation he pulled out his lunch and started giving me food...homemade blueberry bread, fruit, chocolate, etc. We spent over an hour eating, talking, and laughing. It is one of many encounters like that I will always remember.

Pedaling Fool
11-21-2013, 09:22
I get yogied all the time. Last spring I was up at the NOC with my girlfriend having breakfast at that little restaurant by the river. We started chatting with a guy who was thru hiking, he said his 4th one. He told my girlfriend this long story about how he nearly had hypothermia the night before, that it had rained and the 2 shelters prior to the NOC were full so he attempted to hike 35 miles and failed. Got to a FS road and found a truck, crawled under it and called someone to get him from the NOC. He didn't have a shelter of any kind and said he slept in the shelters. What he said. Anyway I felt bad enough for him that I not only paid for his breakfast but went out to my car and gave him the rest of my bourbon I had stashed away, we were going camping up in the smokeys. He said he was taking a zero and fully appreciated the trail magic. He totally yogied us and it felt great. Most people don't mind helping out or they would never offer.You're a nice guy, but I don't consider that a yogi. I never take money (or services bought). It's all about people overflowing with food and not really having a clue of what you as a hiker are doing, i.e., food in exchange for stories and not all bad (Sounds like all he had were the, "please-take-pity-on-me" stories).

Another Kevin
11-21-2013, 10:18
I had three hikes this summer that each would have involved a 3-4 mile roadwalk to get back to my car at the end. (Loops that didn't quite close.) In each case, I parked my car at the trailhead that was closer to the nearest town, and walked to the farther one. And in each case I found someone at the trailhead to offer to run me back since they were going that way anyway.

Is it yogi-ing if I planned the direction of the hike to make this possible? I wasn't depending on it, but was perhaps "open to the possibility." OK, in my heart of hearts I might have been just a little bit disappointed if it hadn't worked out that way.

(What I really need to do if I want to preserve my self-respect is get a cheap bicycle to stash at a trailhead so I can shuttle myself.)