PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for a charity

Shroomism
08-23-2005, 18:17
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about.. or has any experience hiking for a non-profit organization and getting donations to thru-hike the trail.. raising money for a cause. Like Hiking for Cancer or something.

See.. I really want to thru-hike the trail, I have the time, I don't have any obligations holding me back.. and I have the willpower and dedication.. and the gear.. but I am sort of homeless. I can't seem to save up enough money for any decent trip, let alone a thru-hike.. almost all the money I earn goes towards food, school (part-time), transportation, and the place where I am currently staying, after that I'm left with pocket change.

I would be absolutely enthralled to hike for a charity it if would help people.
Have your hike taken care of, so you can focus on the trail and finishing.. to help a noble cause! Two birds with one stone.
I've heard about things like this before but I'm not sure where to even start looking. Could someone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks.. peace and love.

Lilred
08-23-2005, 18:24
[QUOTE=Shroomism I've heard about things like this before but I'm not sure where to even start looking. Could someone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks.. peace and love.[/QUOTE]

The right direction would be to pay for your hike yourself, and any and all money collected for a charity would go to that charity. I'd be more than a little upset if I thought I was giving money to, say cancer research, only to find out it went to pay for your hostel, food, town stay or any other thing you would spend on for yourself.

I've toyed with the idea of hiking for an orphanage that our congregation helps support. I would never use any money collected for my own personal needs. All money collected would go into a special fund and I would insist that all checks be made out directly to the orphanage. Anything less would just seem unethical to me. YMMV.

Jack Tarlin
08-23-2005, 18:39
I'm going to put this kindly before other folks jump down your throat:

Hiking for a charity means you're hiking in order to raise money for a worthy cause. This means that most, IF NOT ALL of the funds you raise go directly to that charity. It does not mean that some (or most) of the funds raised go to support your trip, to buy equipment, pay for your meals, lodging, etc.

If you wish to hike for a cause, I think that's great, but if you don't presently have the funds to do so, then you should take some time to work and save money (even if it means taking a second or third job or skipping out on a lot of things for many months) in order to pay for your own journey. After saving sufficient funds to pay for your trip and to support yourself during your hike, you can THEN think about raising more money or additional funds to support a charity.

But to spend ANY of your charitable donations on yourself, i.e. gear, food, travel or lodging expenses, is just wrong, and is fundamentally dis-honest to well-meaning folks who think their support of your venture means that their money is going to a worthy cause.

Hiking for a cause means just that---you're raising money for a cause, and not soliciting the money that permits you to take off and hike. THAT money must come from you, and not from others.

TOW
08-23-2005, 18:39
shroom, this is not a good idea. let me make a suggestion, because this is how i financed most of my hiking out there, stop in the towns along the trail and work. if you are willing to work at just about anything for any type of pay you will then find an unlimited amount of resources to do so....some of the people i worked for and i are good friends now, in fact a couple i worked for up near harpers ferry, i now live with in alabama....i'm renting a room from them while i work at a heavy equipment outfit.....the main thing is you have to be willing to work, don't look for handouts because when you least expect it someone will come along and make your day....be honest to a tee.....most of those that you do get to work for will want to hear your stories of the trail....my suggestion is that you begin your journey with all the gear that you think you are going to need and money enough for a month or two....as you hike you will meet locals that are out on the trail for the day or weekend, tell them that you are hiking the entire trail and you are financing yourself by stopping and working along the way....you'll make it all the way....

Shroomism
08-23-2005, 18:47
Yes ok, that is understandable. I would not expect a charity to pay for my hostel, town stays and etc. Is it unreasonable to assume you could find work for food and stay most of the way along the trail?
If I saved and saved and cut every corner I can possibly think of including food and sold what I didn't need, I could probably have about $800 for the trail. Which is not really enough. But I'm so stubborn and determined that I would start walking that trail with $5 in my pocket and eat leaves and berries along the way. (slight exaggeration)

I don't expect handouts. I was just wondering if it's possible. Or do you HAVE to have 6,000 bucks in your pocket and friends and family mail dropping you food every two weeks. I have friends but no family. And there's no way I would come up with that kind of money.

Basically I was just curious, if you were going to raise money for a charity, they wouldn't give you any food or money along the way? I figured it would be a you help me, I help you sort of thing. Guess not.

Shroomism
08-23-2005, 18:58
I think you guys have misunderstood. I'm not asking for a charity to fund my trip that I am supposedly raising money for, that is unethical and against my values. I have NO problems working, and I am currently working 50 hours a week right now just to stay alive and have no money to show for it.

I wouldn't expect a charity to pay for my town days, gear, luxuries, and whatever. That's on me. I don't think it's fair though that you guys just jump on me and automatically assume I am trying to swindle someone or get a free ride. I'm not. I'm 23 and I've been living on my own since I was 15. I have had to work every day of my life that I was able to, to stay alive. I don't think that would change on the trail. I'm not a beggar and I'm not asking for handouts... but is is totally unreasonable for me to ask a simple question about hiking for a good cause and maybe getting a few free meals out of it? I don't see what's so unethical about that.

Freighttrain
08-23-2005, 18:58
if you want it bad enough you will fimd a way to earn and save the money... like everyone else

Jack Tarlin
08-23-2005, 19:01
You don't need 6,000 bucks or anything like it. But you'll sure need more than five.

People that start with too little money either quit and go home or become trail mooches and scroungers, which endears them to nobody. And while you can sometimes find work in Trail towns, you can't always count on it.....don't take for granted that you'll find work en route, as sometimes there's simply no work to be had.

I think you'll need AT LEAST $1500.00 on hand to have a good trip, and as much as $3500.00 if you want to enjoy what other hikers do.....decent meals in towns, the occasional hotel or side trip, etc.

Check out Weathercarrot's excellent piece on Hiking On a Budget which you can find in the Articles section of this website....lots of good ideas there on how to cut corners, save money, and hike on a tight budget.

Shroomism
08-23-2005, 19:06
The Only Wanderer - thank you that's an important piece of information. I can always work, and if there is plenty of it along the trail, that makes me feel a little better about setting off on it without a billion dollars.

Shroomism
08-23-2005, 19:09
1,500 seems a bit more reasonable and within my grasp.

And yes I will find a way.. I want it bad enough.

Jack Tarlin
08-23-2005, 19:17
Shroom:

Please note I said AT LEAST fifteen hundred. You'll almost certainly want to start with considerably more. And remember, this figure is for what you'll be spending en route; it does NOT include your gear, transport to and from the Trail, etc. (Falls Church is a long way from Georgia!)

People your age typically spend between two and four thousand dollars, with most folks seeming to spend between 3-4,000 dollars. $1500.00 would be a very spartan trip, so I advise you to aim a little higher for your starting figure. Also, whatever you end up with for a budget, try to add an additional 15-20% to cover emergencies and contingencies; it'd be a shame to have to quit near the end because you were short a few hundred bucks for gear replacement, medical expenses, etc.

Good luck!

TOW
08-23-2005, 19:18
[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin]You don't need 6,000 bucks or anything like it. But you'll sure need more than five.

People that start with too little money either quit and go home or become trail mooches and scroungers, which endears them to nobody. And while you can sometimes find work in Trail towns, you can't always count on it.....don't take for granted that you'll find work en route, as sometimes there's simply no work to be had.

QUOTE]good point jack, and this is very true...but if this young person has been on thier own since they were 15 then they should know a little something about conserving what money they make, but appearently that may be in question because of thier thread saying they are working so many hours a week and don't have too much to show for it....look what work i came across out there provided me with more than enough money, but there was a time or two i did not have a whole lot because of my mismanagement....

TOW
08-23-2005, 19:21
Shroom:

Please note I said AT LEAST fifteen hundred. You'll almost certainly want to start with considerably more. And remember, this figure is for what you'll be spending en route; it does NOT include your gear, transport to and from the Trail, etc. (Falls Church is a long way from Georgia!)

People your age typically spend between two and four thousand dollars, with most folks seeming to spend between 3-4,000 dollars. $1500.00 would be a very spartan trip, so I advise you to aim a little higher for your starting figure. Also, whatever you end up with for a budget, try to add an additional 15-20% to cover emergencies and contingencies; it'd be a shame to have to quit near the end because you were short a few hundred bucks for gear replacement, medical expenses, etc.

Good luck!shroom, listen to jack...he's been there and continues to be there year after year after year.....they ought to call him the "energizer bunny baltimore jack"....just kidding jack....please don't reach thru your 'puter and out thru mine and slap me.....

Shroomism
08-23-2005, 19:36
Yes thanks a lot the for tips. I will certainly aim for about 2k-3k.
No I don't mismanage my money.. I make $2.20/hour + tips as a waiter, which isn't much. Almost all my money currently goes to food (not resteraunts - I buy cheap food), rent and school.
As for gear.. I already have all I need.
But I guess it's about time to start looking for a second job..

justusryans
08-23-2005, 20:00
While we are considering hiking for a cause, we are not soliciting money, we want to hike the trail and help bring awareness about mentally ill people. Most of society learns about mental illness from how we are represented on tv shows like Law and Order, or from the newspaper when some awful crime has been committed by someone with a mental illness, or from fundamentalists who believe that God can heal all things and we really don't need medication.
People who meet my husband and I have no idea that we are mentally ill (him bipolar, me schizoaffective). We're not walking around town talking to ourselves; although you could expect some weird behavior from us if we were to stop taking our meds. But one thing that drives me crazy is when someone with a mental illness commits a horrific crime, the general public wants the person to pay and to suffer, instead of being treated for the illness that caused it This is off thread somewhat so I hope you will forgive me.
Anyway, I don't think hiking for a cause or a charity is necessarily a bad thing. I do think using money solicited for a charity for your hike is wrong.

Youngblood
08-23-2005, 20:35
Jack,

I know you are aware of this and I noticed some 'tip toeing' when you were trying to help with a bottom dollar cost estimate. With energy costs increasing at alarming rates, I don't think anyone is in a position to venture a bottom dollar cost that they can 'hang their hat on' for next year... but it will likely be higher than it previously has been.

Youngblood

Shroomism
08-23-2005, 20:49
That is interesting justusryans, as I too was diagnosed both bipolar and schizoaffective. However I cannot afford medication (and don't believe in it) as I was on several types for several years when I was younger and feel that it did more harm to me than good. The medicine helps some people deal with their illness.. but everyone is different. For me it didn't help. But I do feel that everyone should be responsible for their actions, so I wont do something crazy and expect someone to blame a mental illness instead of my own bad judgement. However, there are some people who might be able to claim such things.. I am not one of them.. I am completely cognizant of my thoughts and actions. But I do know what it is like to suffer from debilitating bouts of depression with no one to turn to for help, but it has made me a stronger person in the long run I think.
If I was going to thru-hike I would want to be helping someone by doing it. Hence the charity. Ok no funding my hike, but it would still make me feel better to be doing something for someone else, instead of just hiking for myself.. even though that's a great thing.

justusryans
08-24-2005, 08:30
That is interesting justusryans, as I too was diagnosed both bipolar and schizoaffective. However I cannot afford medication (and don't believe in it) as I was on several types for several years when I was younger and feel that it did more harm to me than good. The medicine helps some people deal with their illness.. but everyone is different. For me it didn't help. But I do feel that everyone should be responsible for their actions, so I wont do something crazy and expect someone to blame a mental illness instead of my own bad judgement. However, there are some people who might be able to claim such things.. I am not one of them.. I am completely cognizant of my thoughts and actions. But I do know what it is like to suffer from debilitating bouts of depression with no one to turn to for help, but it has made me a stronger person in the long run I think.
If I was going to thru-hike I would want to be helping someone by doing it. Hence the charity. Ok no funding my hike, but it would still make me feel better to be doing something for someone else, instead of just hiking for myself.. even though that's a great thing.
You shouldn't forget about hiking for a charity, My pov was if you do hike for charity then money collected should go to charity.
As far as medication costs... Well, I go manic very quickly without medication, not a good thing as I am a class 1 bipolar, and my wife has been hospitalized multiple times, in fact every time they screw with her meds. So the medication costs are acceptable considering the alternative. You are also correct about how some people have trouble with their meds. I was on Zyprexa for a while and had good results but my labs came back saying it was damaging my kidneys. Soooo now it's Abilify. My wife has been on all of them at one time or another since she was 18. They just recently got her meds stable. So cross your fingers, if everything remains ok we will be thru-hiking next year.;)

kyhipo
08-24-2005, 08:41
i would suggest take what money will have and use it wisely and work your way,when you get to places ask you if anybody is looking for some help for a few days,You will be surprised how many people will put you to work ,might not be something glamorious but remember 20 bucks buys enough food for a week ,shop at the dollar store ,plenty of peanut butter and little debbies ect ect ,ky:dance

TakeABreak
08-24-2005, 11:11
Didn't we hear this same garbage from you about a week ago under a different name. I you really want to hike the trail then stop school get a job earn money hike the trail and then go back to school. But please quit posting garbage about hiking for charity.

Be honest will you, just say you want to hike and get someone else to pay for it.

There a lot of people who wait years to hike the trail because of one reason or another, i Had to wait eight for my chance because other obligations.

TOW
08-24-2005, 12:16
listen, just go out there and hike my friend.....this hike is for you, okay? but when you have hiked the trail, be it all or just parts of it, you and those you have touched along the way will realize it was not about you anyway.....there is a calling and yearning inside of you to be out there....just go and don't worry what you will eat or wear, nor the money in your pocket....there is something about you that i feel comfortable enough to say this to....you'll be okay, you will be watched over.....just do it......

justusryans
08-24-2005, 13:18
Only Wanderer has good advice! Questionable judgement in trail names though!:dance

TOW
08-24-2005, 15:21
Only Wanderer has good advice! Questionable judgement in trail names though!:dancewho, Shroom or me?

justusryans
08-24-2005, 15:37
Was joking you about your "manhole" post :D

Shroomism
08-24-2005, 20:08
Didn't we hear this same garbage from you about a week ago under a different name. I you really want to hike the trail then stop school get a job earn money hike the trail and then go back to school. But please quit posting garbage about hiking for charity.

Be honest will you, just say you want to hike and get someone else to pay for it.

Uhhh.. what are you talking about? This is the only name I have posted under here. Don't accuse me of such things please.

TOW
08-24-2005, 21:28
Was joking you about your "manhole" post :Dyeah, hahahaha, don't need that name fer shure..............

Heater
08-24-2005, 21:32
Yes thanks a lot the for tips. I will certainly aim for about 2k-3k.
No I don't mismanage my money.. I make $2.20/hour + tips as a waiter, which isn't much. Almost all my money currently goes to food (not resteraunts - I buy cheap food), rent and school.
As for gear.. I already have all I need.
But I guess it's about time to start looking for a second job..
I am aiming for at least $3,500 but I will probably have more than that to start. I'd like to have $4,500 and I'll also have insurance coverage.
I work full time and take one or two credit courses here and there to keep up with technology and for enjoyment. Yes, enjoyment... believe it or not.
:datz

Fall semester usually ends in the middle of December. Skip the Spring semester and that gives you three or four months to work a full and a part time job. Not only that, you also save your tuition and books/supplies.
Part time expenses at our community college here in Austin (tuition and books) are at least $750. That's for 2 classes. $750 right off the bat!

Skimp and save before the hike and enjoy the time you are out there! :)

Nean
08-24-2005, 22:41
I've met folks who hiked for charities that helped them out. They were wonderful people who got a good deal. If a charity approached me and thought they could raise a lot of money / help a lot of people, on a hike they would love to pay for...

If hiking for a charity is something you would want to do, why not?:-? Even if you do sacrifice some time and yes, money- don't worry, it all comes back -then some.;)

TakeABreak
08-25-2005, 15:37
Uhhh.. what are you talking about? This is the only name I have posted under here. Don't accuse me of such things please.
Well, sorry if I confused you with the other person that was on here a couple of weeks ago saying, the same thing of sorts.

They too did not have the money to hike and wanted to say they were hiking for charity and take what they needed from the the charity donations for their hike and give the rest to charity, if there was any left.

You are either going to hike for yourself or for charity, if it is for charity then every red raised goes for charity, not just what is left over.

frieden
09-08-2005, 10:42
I just did the Kona Half-Marathon for the American Stroke Association, and learned a lot for doing an event for charity. I used to think the way everyone does here, but I learned that it is NORMAL and EXPECTED for your expenses (directly tied to the event, like hotel and transportation, but not food) to be paid out of the contributions. With the ASA, all donations go to the ASA, and then they pay for the participant's air fare, hotel, and transportation. You have to raise a minimum of $5,000 though.

I wanted to do my thru hike in March for charity also, but I didn't start planning with an agency soon enough. I would suggest that you read "A Walk for Sunshine", by Jeff Alt. He thru hiked the AT to raise money for the home his brother lives in, and it bloomed into a local, annual event for them. He has some great ideas in there, including writing letters to manufacturers for gear donations. You can only use funds for things directly tied to the event, that you otherwise would not have to pay. Clothes and food are out, even if they are special hiking clothes. Gear, lodging and park fees, and transportation is acceptable, but you have to keep very good records of every dime. It would be extremely difficult without a base team, either in the form of family, or a specific organization. Jeff Alt got most of his gear donated.

I was going to pay for my own trip and gear, and give all contributions to the charity, but I also plan to sell my house to do it. That's just my choice. It doesn't make me anymore "right" or "moral". You have to hike your own hike, and make your own paths. If you do spend contributions for hostels, transportation, etc., make sure the money your raise is way, way above your expenses. For example, with the ASA, we had to raise $5,000 or we couldn't go. However, the expenses weren't more than $800 total - a fraction of the total raised per person, and many people raised more than that. Calculate your expenses on the high side, and make your goal significantly more - and make it known to contributors that some of the money will go toward that. If you work with the organization, they may cover your expenses, if you raise an amount that they set.

You can do it. Walmart allows people to place a table at the door, and ask for charity funds. Make information flyers about the charity, and make sure the money goes right to the charity (checks made out to). Have a change jar for "spare change". Our highest earner on the team stood in front of places like Walmart, and just asked for spare change. I made $1,200 in a weekend standing in front of the mall. We had the benefit of a huge organization and personal donation Website, too. Pick your organization, talk to the person in charge, and start with local businesses and churches. You won't get very far, without the backing of the organization. Check out these sites:

http://fundraising-ideas.org/DIY/index.html

http://fundraising-ideas.org/listings/index.html

There are plenty more; just do a search for fundraising ideas.

It helps to have a connection to your charity. I'm a stroke survivor, so it makes sense for me to pair up with the ASA. It also give you motivation.

My post may seem a little more helpful than the other ones, but I have an another motive. You may or may not just be looking for a way to pay for your trip, but once you complete a charity event, you're hooked. Just the act of raising money for them, and meeting some of the people you are helping, you will never be the same again. Not only will you have a continuing desire to help others, you'll have a strong sense of self worth at what you have accomplished.

You have a hard road ahead, because the lack of time, but you can do it!!! You'll still need a significant amount of personal money for clothes, food, etc., so you'll need to plan for that, and fundraising takes a lot of time. If you are working all the time, it will be tough. You'll need full days to stand in front of a place to ask for donations, and to go into businesses. Postage for asking for donations is an acceptable expense, but don't get caught up in it. The returns on mailings is low, so restrict your mailings to businesses, churches, and people you know personally. Because of your time constraints, get your friends and family to fundraise for you too. Good luck!!