PDA

View Full Version : pot cozy

squeezebox
11-19-2013, 19:42
So what's the best material to make a pot cozy from ?

Gwilli
11-19-2013, 19:44
I make mine with Reflectex (sp?). It's basically bubble wrap with reflective Mylar on each side. You can buy rolls of it at Home Depot. Buy some aluminum foil tape (HVAC section) and you are set! Easy stuff to work with.

jimmyjam
11-19-2013, 21:23
+1 on reflectex . You can also make an insulated envelope coozie if you freezer bag cook.

Tri-Pod Bob
11-19-2013, 21:59
Reflextex is great insulation for cozys & a good UL option. But, it's somewhat fragile, so longevity comes into play. That, and the fact that the smallest roll at my local Lowes or Home Depot costs $48. I made one some time ago from a pc of 1/4" Wally World CCF pad. It has a fixed bottom & hinged (Gorilla Tape) lid. All 3 pcs are held with the Gorilla tape. I've used & abused this thing for almost 3 years now & other than being soot smudged, it is still in great shape. It fits my pot like a custom glove & I can use it for freezer bag cooking, when I want/need to. I also use it as a collection vessel when foraging wild edibles. So, to recap....CCF has a small weight penalty....but, for me, more than makes up with it's durability/longevity, multiple use function & cost savings. YMMV

atmilkman
11-19-2013, 22:18
I made one like this quite some time ago but have since then changed my system. It worked and I'm sure still will real good. http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/6582/ultralight-backpacking-pot-cozy/

chiefduffy
11-20-2013, 07:02
You can buy a reflectix windshield blind for a few $, and have enough reflectix for 2 or 3 cozies.

daddytwosticks
11-20-2013, 08:09
You can buy a reflectix windshield blind for a few $, and have enough reflectix for 2 or 3 cozies.
+1. Worked for me. :)

squeezebox
11-20-2013, 10:22
I had my eye on the windshield blind, but had not thought of the Aluminum tape.
Thanks!

Austin 2014
11-20-2013, 10:47
I made one like this quite some time ago but have since then changed my system. It worked and I'm sure still will real good. http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/6582/ultralight-backpacking-pot-cozy/

I made one of these as well, but have yet to test it. I used metal tape instead of Duck tape.

RED-DOG
11-20-2013, 11:26
I just use my Fleece Beenie.

trw0007
11-20-2013, 13:04
As a plus, the windshield blind has a nice sewn edge for the top of the cozy.

Phikes
11-20-2013, 13:12
I too make mine with the windshield thingies but not a fan of the aluminum tape, though it looks nice, it just doesn't seem to hold up as well.

Phikes
11-20-2013, 13:12
...as duct tape

Odd Man Out
11-20-2013, 13:55
I've used a dish towel.

Gwilli
11-20-2013, 16:51
I had to buy a roll of the Reflectex because my wife got mad when I used her windshield sun shade for my first attempt at pot cozies. Bought her a new one when I picked up my cozy supplies. Happy wife, happy life and no bodily injuries!!!! :)

daddytwosticks
11-20-2013, 16:54
I used some "chrome" colored duct tape I bought at Walmart. I also incorporated the finished edge of the windshield shade on my cozy. It looks and works great! :)

A/B
11-20-2013, 19:14
For about $10 each plus shipping, I am the proud owner of 2 antigravityGear.com cozies, that are the perfect fit to my pots. Even comes with handle cut outs, and an extra cozy for my cup. Highly recommended. I would have spent this much on the gas and materials! Thanks, George!

rhjanes
11-20-2013, 23:26
$48 for a roll of reflextic? WOW...I paid like $19.99 at my Lowe's....enough to make probably 100 of them. I think is is 2 feet by like 25 feet.
I had some foil/chrome tape for working on when I was building, so that didn't cost anything.

LIhikers
11-21-2013, 01:08
I used a windshield sun shade from a dollar store and some metal tape that I already had to make a 2 piece cozy.
One piece covers the body of the pot, a K-mart grease pot, up to just below the rim, and the second piece covers the lid and overlaps the main part by about an inch.
It works good and the tape is lasting fine

CarlZ993
11-21-2013, 12:20
I initially bought a reflectix cozy from AntiGravity Gear for my 0.9L Evernew pot. I ended up buying some Reflectix & metal foil tape & made more for my other pots as well as multiple freezer bag cozies (for me & my Boy Scout Venture Crew members). AntiGravity Gear's cozy is much nicer than anything I've made so far. But, mine still work.

As far as longevity, I don't recall when I bought the one from AGG. I've had it a while & use the 0.9L pot on most of my trips. But, it lasted my entire AT thru-hike this year. I've had to replace the hinge tape on the lid a few times. I got an oversize pot stuff sack that fits over the pot/cozy combo which helps it last longer.

slbirdnerd
11-21-2013, 13:21
I just use my Fleece Beenie.
Me too, but then I realized I go to bed at night wearing my hat, with my head smelling like chicken dinner and wondering if I'll wake up to a critter who thinks I'm a giant taco... ;)

The Old Boot
11-21-2013, 13:26
Add me to the list of 'Windshield Sun Reflector' users. I took a look at reflectix and if you think US prices are crazy, try Canadian!!

I bought the cheapest windshield visor I could find and a roll of metal tape. My cozies are quite 'fashionable' since the sun visor was lavender on one side and had daisies on it..lol.

Mobius
11-21-2013, 13:41
Me too, but then I realized I go to bed at night wearing my hat, with my head smelling like chicken dinner and wondering if I'll wake up to a critter who thinks I'm a giant taco... ;)

Reminds me of my dad's favorite Far Side comic. A couple bears peering out of the woods at some hikers in sleeping bags. The caption is simply "Sandwiches!"

None yet
11-21-2013, 14:24
When my sunshade cozy needed replacing, I got the Gossamer Gear Warm Sak, 0.65 oz $14

LIhikers
11-22-2013, 00:50

That's just plain funny! Thanks for the laugh. :)

blackgrass
11-22-2013, 00:55
That's just plain funny! Thanks for the laugh. :)
Not too mention stuffing a food canister with excess clothing. It just seems a bit risky to me.