PDA

View Full Version : Cell Coverage

Yellowhammer
11-19-2013, 20:00
Does anyone know how good the cell phone coverage is along the Alabama sections of the Pinhoti Trail? Verizon in particular? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

10-K
11-19-2013, 20:07
No problem whatsoever. I think I had service almost the whole way. Verizon.

Yellowhammer
11-20-2013, 10:21
Thanks for the info 10-K! If anyone has a conflicting experience please drop a line.

schlanky
11-20-2013, 18:36
Maybe it's a difference in phones (old cheap flip phone) or weather or season, but I'm on Verizon and have found it spotty on the Pinhoti. If you're thru-hiking and want to be able to check in with someone once a day or so, you should be good for that.

In some of the more remote or lower elevation places (or being on the wrong side of a mountain), I've had no signal or very weak signal. In spots, you'll have very good signal, but don't count on having it all the time.

blisterbob
11-20-2013, 19:30
Maybe it's a difference in phones (old cheap flip phone) or weather or season, but I'm on Verizon and have found it spotty on the Pinhoti. If you're thru-hiking and want to be able to check in with someone once a day or so, you should be good for that.

In some of the more remote or lower elevation places, I've had no signal or very weak signal. In spots, you'll have very good signal, but don't count on having it all the time.
The reports I get agree with this, Verizon or AT&T, no matter the phone.

Matt65
11-20-2013, 20:31
Many variables for sure regarding reception. I only turn my phone on briefly at night to check in. I usually only send txt which doesn't take a strong signal. I would say that almost all the time (~8/10 times) I have enough service to txt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

10-K
11-20-2013, 20:50
So there you have it... I hope you weren't expecting a consensus. :)

Ewker
11-21-2013, 10:38
Anyone use T-Mobile? if so does it have service

waterman1148
11-22-2013, 07:39
Many variables for sure regarding reception. I only turn my phone on briefly at night to check in. I usually only send txt which doesn't take a strong signal. I would say that almost all the time (~8/10 times) I have enough service to txt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

This is my experience also.

daddyslaw
11-22-2013, 13:28
With Verizon, you will lose service in the Chocolocco Management area around Pine Glenn, Coleman lake, Green Leaf, and areas between Pine Glenn and Hwy. 78. Also, it gets spotty on the Clay County side of Cheaha. Other than that, I've had service everywhere else.