PDA

View Full Version : dehydrating Thanksgiving leftovers

tiptoe
11-20-2013, 11:52
Anyone tried it? I'm thinking of turning some of the turkey into small dice and mashing baked sweet potato, then drying them (separately).

Cranberry sauce roll-ups?

Usually I cook such a big holiday meal that we can eat for a week afterwards, so there's plenty to work with.

WingedMonkey
11-20-2013, 11:55
Sweet Potato Bark

http://www.backpackingchef.com/sweet-potato-bark.html

tiptoe
11-20-2013, 12:13
Thanks, WingedMonkey. That sounds yummy. Last spring, I met Regina the Ridge Runner in Virginia, and she offered me some oatmeal with sweet potatoes one morning. It was very tasty and filling.

FarmerChef
11-20-2013, 12:30
Some thoughts...

Diced turkey - this might not turn out like you think. I speak from experience. It was rather hard and wouldn't rehydrate all the way. Ground, then cooked turkey is much, mucccchh better.
Cranberry sauce - Yup! I've never made a fruit rollup out of it but I have done dried cranberry sauce. Even before you rehydrate it it's still tasty :)
Stuffing - IF it doesn't contain a ton of fat, you could dehydrate it but one would have to ask, "What's the point, when you can just open a box of Stove Top..."
Mashed potatoes - Same problem with the fat. You can dehydrate them but you'll have to watch out for the fats so that it doesn't spoil before you get to use it. If I did fully made mashed potatoes it would still end up in the freezer. Again, "What's the point, when you can just open a pouch of [fill in the blank] mashed potato flakes..."
Yams/Sweet Potatoes - Totally! Make Bark as WM said. Goes great in lots of things or you could rehydrate them piping hot, throw in some walnuts and mini marshmallows and have some candied yams right on the trail!! Yum!!
Veggies - All those will dehydrate just fine. Go right ahead.
Pie - Would you really have any left over? :D
Gravy - Not that I know of. Doesn't mean you couldn't try but I'd rather just bring a pouch and make it on the trail. It's the fat that worries me.

My main theme here is to watch out for the fat. If it doesn't have fat, you're probably fine. Even a little fat, no problem. Above all, have fun and enjoy!!

tiptoe
11-20-2013, 13:15
Yes, fat is certainly the issue, and thanks for the turkey tip. As an aside, most of the year I cook in a very healthful manner, but in a traditional Thanksgiving meal the amount of sugar called for is truly appalling, especially in pies. I routinely cut it by 25-50% and no one has ever complained. The antidote to such a heavy meal, of course, is exercise, which is not a problem for hikers, gardeners, woodstove users, and outdoor types in general. Whiteblazers should survive just fine.

FarmerChef
11-20-2013, 14:04
Yes, fat is certainly the issue, and thanks for the turkey tip. As an aside, most of the year I cook in a very healthful manner, but in a traditional Thanksgiving meal the amount of sugar called for is truly appalling, especially in pies. I routinely cut it by 25-50% and no one has ever complained. The antidote to such a heavy meal, of course, is exercise, which is not a problem for hikers, gardeners, woodstove users, and outdoor types in general. Whiteblazers should survive just fine.

Totally agree on the sugar. And yes, hiking definitely takes the pounds off. That's why we hike OVER Thanksgiving :D

Traffic Jam
12-04-2013, 15:07
Some thoughts...

Diced turkey - this might not turn out like you think. I speak from experience. It was rather hard and wouldn't rehydrate all the way. Ground, then cooked turkey is much, mucccchh better.
Cranberry sauce - Yup! I've never made a fruit rollup out of it but I have done dried cranberry sauce. Even before you rehydrate it it's still tasty :)
Stuffing - IF it doesn't contain a ton of fat, you could dehydrate it but one would have to ask, "What's the point, when you can just open a box of Stove Top..."
Mashed potatoes - Same problem with the fat. You can dehydrate them but you'll have to watch out for the fats so that it doesn't spoil before you get to use it. If I did fully made mashed potatoes it would still end up in the freezer. Again, "What's the point, when you can just open a pouch of [fill in the blank] mashed potato flakes..."
Yams/Sweet Potatoes - Totally! Make Bark as WM said. Goes great in lots of things or you could rehydrate them piping hot, throw in some walnuts and mini marshmallows and have some candied yams right on the trail!! Yum!!
Veggies - All those will dehydrate just fine. Go right ahead.
Pie - Would you really have any left over? :D
Gravy - Not that I know of. Doesn't mean you couldn't try but I'd rather just bring a pouch and make it on the trail. It's the fat that worries me.

My main theme here is to watch out for the fat. If it doesn't have fat, you're probably fine. Even a little fat, no problem. Above all, have fun and enjoy!!

What about green bean casserole?