PDA

View Full Version : Are you "Pantry Ready" to go hiking?

WingedMonkey
11-20-2013, 13:56
Do you have enough staples on hand to go hiking for 7-10 days without hitting the store/going shopping?

It's finally hiking season here in Florida.

I'm sitting here with the unfolded futon covered in food supplies while I try and figure out menus, for 7-10 days (don't even know where yet).

I have more than enough on hand. Between my "hike" food boxes my "hurricane" supplies and my kitchen I could go now without hitting the store.

All the hike standards, Knorr dinners, pancake mix, cornbread mix, stuffing mix, fig newtons, peanut butter, Nido, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, oatmeal, grape nuts cereal, instant breakfast, cocoa mix, drink mixes, granola bars, Triscuits, prunes, dates, apricots, GORP ingredients. Even a few blocks of ramen (not a big fan). And I'm sure more I can't see in the pile.

Slowing down my menu decisions are a dozen dehydrated fruits and vegetables from the garden I want to use.

Throw in the dehydrated cooked rice, beans, spaghetti, and canned turkey.

Spam, chicken, tuna, corned beef, and hamburger all in retorts. Even some mackerel fillet in a pouch.

Before I go out the door grab the olive oil, Parkay, cheddar cheese, jelly, honey. And EGGS.

I think it was easier when I did my shopping at the last minute rather than out of my own supplies. Too much to think about, too many choices.

:D

FarmerChef
11-20-2013, 13:59
I'm doing the same thing right now. As always I went out and bought some stuff before I checked the pantry. Oops. That's okay. I needed two extra Sam's size boxes of granola bars....riiiight.

Honestly, though, the only thing I really needed that I was out of was beef bouillon. Technically I don't need it but it makes rehydrated beef taste, well, much more beefy. I also learned that applying seasonings while browning the beef makes it taste better even after rinsing before dehydrating. Worcestershire really lasts. Oh and taco seasoning on turkey works great since you don't have to rinse the turkey. :)

Yeah, everything else we already had. Going out for 9 days next week. Hope the weather is good (fingers crossed)...

Old Hiker
11-20-2013, 14:03

I think it was easier when I did my shopping at the last minute rather than out of my own supplies. Too much to think about, too many choices.

:D

I dunno. Something about the 3 shelves in my pantry vs 45 feet of Publix kinda slows me down ! Plus, anything in my pantry I know I've tried before and like. Looking in a store, I always find something that I haven't tried yet and want to. Out on a hike is NOT the place to be trying new things.

WingedMonkey
11-20-2013, 14:08
[QUOTE=FarmerChef;1819137Honestly, though, the only thing I really needed that I was out of was beef bouillon. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me, grabbed the Lipton creme of chicken cup of soup out of the kitchen to reconstitute the dehydrated turkey.

WingedMonkey
11-20-2013, 14:12
I had no idea I had dehydrated so many things this summer out of my gardens.

Carambola stars carambola leather, bananas (I have the banana pudding to go with), mango, pinaapple, three kinds of greens, okra, peppers... sweet and jalapeno, green and red tomatoes.

FarmerChef
11-20-2013, 14:21
Oh yeah! I dehydrated a ton of peppers (red, yellow and green) enough to supply meals for the rest of the AT! Guess I'll make some soup this winter. I also dehydrated a ton of beef, easily enough for 2 or 3 weeks of meals. That and about 1 or 2 more weeks of Turkey (after I finished packing for this trip). Found 2.5 gallons of gorp we hadn't eaten (that was in the freezer). We'll eat that up this coming week. Also found 10 packs of Rice and Pasta sides after they had them on sale for $10 for 10. I see that every week so now I need to wait for $10 for 20! :D Who knows?

What I really like to stock up on is pudding. When that goes on sale for $.50 a box I fill my shopping cart. That's the easiest, most versatile, tastiest, (insert superlative) trail dessert I know. Saw your banana pudding reference, WM, and it reminded me. Yum!! Those bananas also go well with grits and dehydrated honey, btw. Totally yummy.

WingedMonkey
11-20-2013, 14:38
Damn now I got to measure out the grits to go with my fried eggs.

Ain't putting to banana in my grits.....graves would open.

WingedMonkey
11-20-2013, 14:40
Oh yeah might as well add a snack bag of vanilla wafers for the banana pudding.

Not feeding a hoard like yours.

;)

MDSection12
11-20-2013, 14:48
I'm finally getting through the stuff I dehydrated this time last year. I'm looking forward to building my stock back up with new recipes.

FarmerChef
11-20-2013, 15:09
My problem is I have way too much dehydrating capacity and a problem with saying "no." :datz

The Old Boot
11-20-2013, 18:58
I could do the 7 to 10 days without batting an eyelash....well all except for gorp! Somehow or other that stuff never, ever stays in stock around here. I always make my own up in individual daily portions and the leftover ingredients go back in the cupboard. Next time I look, darn if I don't have to make another trip to the bulk food store....not sure how that happens...rofl.

MDSection12
11-20-2013, 18:59
Hmmmmm, some leftover chili in the fridge...

Biggie Master
11-20-2013, 20:41
+1 on the pudding...

WingedMonkey
11-20-2013, 22:02
Out on a hike is NOT the place to be trying new things.

Ain't it the truth.

Also not the place to find out what is stale.

Wise Old Owl
11-20-2013, 22:38
Winged Monkey - what do you do with the corn bread mix?

WingedMonkey
11-20-2013, 22:39

Fry it like pancakes, usually when I fix beans and rice.

MuddyWaters
11-20-2013, 22:43
Sometimes.
I always buy way too much food, some comes in bulk packaging, etc.
So I generally have a box of extra food in the closet. Especially snacks, candybars, trail mix, cookies, etc.
Always have a few pasta sides and mountain house as well.

How long it all lasts, depends on how well my wife is keeping the kitchen cabinet stocked with alternatives. If shes busy at work and lets the shopping slide a few nights, my son and I both raid the hiking food for snacks. Weve even had to resort to mountain house before.

Its not my job to shop, OK.

10-K
11-20-2013, 22:49

I was scrolling down to ask the same question!

WM, how do you prep it for frying? Just add water and mix (stir) the contents of the package?

HikerMom58
11-20-2013, 22:54

WM, how do you prep it for frying? Just add water and mix (stir) the contents of the package?

Yes, this question ^^ he said he packs EGGS too. I don't carry anything that I could use for frying.....

MDSection12
11-20-2013, 22:55
Yes, this question ^^ he said he packs EGGS too. I don't carry anything that I could use for frying.....
I've read that a primitive form of cornbread can be made on hot rocks... But haven't tried it yet, plan to soon.

WingedMonkey
11-20-2013, 22:59

That's it. I use the kinds that are labeled "complete" (Martha White) The kind you have to add milk to have a tendency to scorch.

Depending on the size of the product, breaking it down to about 3 oz of mix is enough. That's about the same as 3 muffins.

On a long hike, I use the whole 6 oz package.

Gonna add some dried jalapeno to it this time.

HikerMom58
11-20-2013, 23:10
I've read that a primitive form of cornbread can be made on hot rocks... But haven't tried it yet, plan to soon.

Report back and let us know how that works, MD. :>) I guess you know where to get that type of cornbread?

One week from tomorrow is TURKEY DAY!