PDA

View Full Version : 20 + bag

squeezebox
11-21-2013, 08:21
Will a 20 + sleeping bag work for an early Apr. start? considering a bag liner, could always use the fleece instead of longies and down jacket in a pinch. Will I still want a 40 + or so bag for summer? save a little wt. and might be more comfortable, and not too expensive.
Thanks for your opinion

Starchild
11-21-2013, 08:27
I started with a 18F bag and was OK, though some augmentation was helpful such as wrapping the tent around me and my bag in the shelter. I was one of the warmer ones in the shelter on some very cold nights whit the lowest known temperature at 12F, and that only because someone had a thermometer with them that night. My thru started March 18th of this year and had a return to winter for a while that is unusual (or so I've heard). I wouldn't want to go higher then 20F (or 18F close enough), going lower seemed like too much added weight and bulk.

So for me the 20F bag is the perfect one for that part of the thru.

Just to add that if it gets too cold, everyone is suffering a bit, and there are a lot of hikers at shelters, spooning or just side to side contact happens. Shelters are packed full, and if you do get into trouble don't be afraid to make it known.

moldy
11-21-2013, 08:45
A 20 degree bag works fine for me in March. If it gets real cold I go to sleep in my down coat and all my clothing. If it gets super cold I go to town.

garlic08
11-21-2013, 09:53
A 20 degree bag works fine for me in March. If it gets real cold I go to sleep in my down coat and all my clothing. If it gets super cold I go to town.

This is pretty much my answer too, and on the AT going to town is nearly always an option assuming you're not totally clueless about weather forecasts.

Because I carried an excellent 15F bag in April, I was able to keep hiking through spring blizzards in the Smokies and on Mt Rogers and had a very memorable experience. I had the AT to myself in these normally crowded places because everyone else was sheltering in Gatlinburg or Damascus. But if you keep an eye on the weather, you don't need that kind of bag if you don't want or can't afford one.

A/B
11-21-2013, 11:05
I also have a 20 degree bag, but tend to sleep cold. Anyone augment their setup with down booties, or other types of warmth? I suppose a balaclava would help keep the other end warmer, as well... Cheaper and lighter than a new bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Ender
11-21-2013, 11:08
I used a 15* bag on the AT and a 20* bag on the PCT. A 20* bag is plenty, just add layers of clothing when it gets really cold, like everyone else said.

Nuggz
11-21-2013, 14:21
I was up on Mt. Rogers in late just kicking it for the weekend. I was testing out a 30F underquilt and 30 degree bag. If I would have wore my long johns and down, I probably would have been fine, but I was in my underwear and I about froze.

Nooga
11-21-2013, 16:03
I used a 15* bag on the AT and a 20* bag on the PCT. A 20* bag is plenty, just add layers of clothing when it gets really cold, like everyone else said.

Agree. With a early April start, you are ok (I would be).

rangeley
11-21-2013, 20:55
I'm bringing my 20° Feathered Friends bag when I start on march 14th. I will be augmenting with clothing as needed although I've had it down to about 17° and been fine with just a base layer on. I'd do some trial runs with my bag on some cold nights just to see how warm it really is in the cold before taking it on a thru.