PDA

View Full Version : This or That?

TheTwanger
11-21-2013, 12:20
Hello folks!
I'm trying to plan a section hike for 2014 and I'm looking for some advice. Should I do NOC to Davenport or should I do Newfound Gap to Devil Fork Gap? I've hiked most of the Southern half of the Smokies but I definitely want to see NFG to Davenport. So I guess my question really is Nantahalla or the first stretch of the balds and why?

Slo-go'en
11-21-2013, 14:09
I like the northen end of the Smokies better then the southern end. There is a lot of "knife edge" like trail in the northern section with good views both sides of the ridge. There's a bit less up and down too. I'm not sure where Devil's fork gap is, but if you have to go over Max patch to get there, then that is worth while also.

The climb out of NOC is one heck of a grunt and the trail from there to Fontana dam isn't all that interesting.

illabelle
11-21-2013, 14:27
I like the northen end of the Smokies better then the southern end. There is a lot of "knife edge" like trail in the northern section with good views both sides of the ridge. There's a bit less up and down too. I'm not sure where Devil's fork gap is, but if you have to go over Max patch to get there, then that is worth while also.

The climb out of NOC is one heck of a grunt and the trail from there to Fontana dam isn't all that interesting.

Devil's Fork Gap is near Erwin, TN, and yes, you'll go over Max Patch. I think you would enjoy this portion best.

TheTwanger
11-23-2013, 22:30
I was having a hard time because I've heard alot about the balds but little of Nantahalla. I imagine I couldn't go very wrong either way but I think I will start at Davenport. Thanks!

TheTwanger
11-23-2013, 22:31
* Newfound Gap I mean*

Toon
11-23-2013, 23:09
There's not much to see north of hotsprings to dfg except lovers leap just north of hotsprings then the firetower. U hit the patch right after standing bear. I would stop at hot springs and spend 2 days there relaxing.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Cookerhiker
11-24-2013, 14:07
No matter which option you decide upon, make sure you bone up on the Smokies' regulations. Keep in mind that with your section hikes, you won't be considered a thruhiker, so you'll have to make reservations at the shelters.

TheTwanger
11-24-2013, 14:20
Thanks Cooker, unfortunately I am all too familar with having to plan my pace in GSMNP. It will be my first time up since the fee system was implemented. :rolleyes: