PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Trip

MarcnNJ
08-24-2005, 10:08
Just returned from 4 days in Shenandoah. Hiked in the northern section near Overall/Mathews Arm/Jeremys Run. I must say that the AT between Elkwallow Wayside and where it meets Piney Branch Trail is filled with Bear! 11 of the 12 bear we saw were on that stretch.....the 12th bear was at the top of jeremys run where it meets the AT right next to elkwallow wayside.....Lots of close encounters...Enough to last me a few years thats for sure.....:eek:

Footslogger
08-24-2005, 10:46
Did any of the bears approach you or show any signs of agression ? Or were these sightings on or along the trail ??

'Slogger

Newb
08-24-2005, 11:33
Was one of the bears wearing a park Ranger's hat? He's cool, he only gets aggressive if you mis-use your campfire.

kyhipo
08-24-2005, 11:59
I had deer stealing my salty hat and shirt :eek: ky ,

BigE
08-24-2005, 12:54
Marc - Not surprised at all to hear that. I just got back from doing the same thing in the South SNP (Rockfish to Hightop). I can't believe we didn't see a bear this time because there were signs everywhere and lots of them. I swear we were following one north on the trail between Dundo and Loft Mountain. What we did so though - which is extrememly rare I might add - was a BIG ol BOBCAT! This guy was huge and healthy. I've been on the mountains araound the SNP since about '73 and this was my first Bobcat sighting ever. We've seen 4 bears this year. The bear pop. has really increased in the SNP over the past few years. There are now more than one per square mile in the park. Did you have any issues with them?

BigE

MarcnNJ
08-24-2005, 13:00
Saturday
Bear #1: cub coming out of a tree, next to skyline drive...only saw him for a glimpse....about 70 yards away....people nearby said earlier the cub was with another cub, and momma....but i only saw the 1 cub....

Bear #2: minutes later....adolescent bear entered trailhead at Piney Branch....we waited 10 minutes or so, since this was the route to the cabin....that bear saw us as he was entering the trail....but didnt give us the time of day....

Sunday
Bear #3 & 4: both were up the same tree....medium size....also on the Piney Branch trail...same area as Bear #2....because we saw one here the day before.....we were clapping our hands every few paces to let them know we were coming through.......they heard our claps, and were about 30 yards away when they scurried down the tree.....ran off deeper into the woods

Bear #5: Piney Ridge Trail, about 1 mile south of Range View Cabin.....i snuck up on this one...unknowingly....made it aboue 10 yards away from the tree he was in....not even 5 yards off the trail....heard branches...looked up....saw the big black mass....and i quickly backed up about 10-20 yards as it slid down the tree, not turning my back to him.....once he landed, he gave me one good glimpse, and sprinted off into the woods

Monday
Bear #6: Where the AT meets Elkwallow Trail...within a stones throw of skyline drive......this bear either came across skyline drive, or was following behind us as were hiking elkwallow trail SB....was about 50 yards from us....we were standing still at the time...resting deciding whether or not to go to elkwallow wayside or not....we decided to go....this bear acted like we werent even around....just slowly walked down towards Jeremys Run.....

Bear #7 & 8: Momma bear and her cub....about a half hour after #6, on the AT just south of Range View Cabin....almost same area as bear #5.....saw these from a distance....100 yards or so....credit this sighting to my girlfriends excellent vision.....they never got closer.....

Tuesday
Bear #9: As we were leaving Range View Cabin, NB on the AT....30 yards off in the woods to the right....heard us talking and clapping....we watched it scurry down the tree and disappear...then seconds later, a big dear jumped out from the bushes to the left of us.....scared us to death.....thought it was another bear!!

Bears #10, 11 & 12: Minutes later....on the service road leading to Range View Cabin....almost in the parking lot of PATC office near MP 24(ish) on skyline.....small momma bear....trailside....15 yards away......we stopped and started talking to it......it wouldnt leave.....then after a few minutes went by....her TINY cubs ran out from behind her and crossed the trail....momma joined them and ran off.....

BigE
08-24-2005, 13:23
Marc - that's awesome, most people don't get to see that many bears in the wild in a lifetime. Glad there weren't any tense moments. Hope you liked the SNP, I'm kinda partial to it cause it's basiclly in my back yard. Thanks for sharing the story.

BigE

MarcnNJ
08-24-2005, 13:37
Im partial to SNP also...its about a 4.5 hour drive from my house.....yet i find myself there a few times each year....but then again, from where i live, i need to travel a minimum of 3 hours to get to any point on the AT......always worth the drive though

BlackCloud
08-24-2005, 14:57
Im partial to SNP also...its about a 4.5 hour drive from my house.....yet i find myself there a few times each year....but then again, from where i live, i need to travel a minimum of 3 hours to get to any point on the AT......always worth the drive though
Believe me, I'm thankful it's only two hours for me........

MarcnNJ
08-31-2005, 10:45
One last thing....one afternoon around 4-5pm, i heard what sounded like a high pitch dog fight....only the sounds were more like shreiks than barks....it lasted about 45 seconds.....any ideas???

the goat
08-31-2005, 11:43
i was a/b a 1/2 mile from gravel springs hut this past weekend and had a confrontation w/ a sow and her cub. luckily i was only on the receiving end of a couple of big roars & a fake charge which was most likely b/c i had my dog w/ me (who thinks he's a badass)......still enough to make me almost crap myself.

One last thing....one afternoon around 4-5pm, i heard what sounded like a high pitch dog fight....only the sounds were more like shreiks than barks....it lasted about 45 seconds.....any ideas???
.....when a bear cub is scared it shrieks like a sheep or goat in labor, could've been that....or maybe a bobcat?

Believe me, I'm thankful it's only two hours for me........
.....it's only 2 minutes for me, right in my backyard!! :banana

MarcnNJ
08-31-2005, 14:52
were you a half mile south of gravel springs?? i was on the piney ridge trail...sounded like it was coming from the east/southeast...near piney branch.....

it freaked me out whatever it was....never heard anything like it.....with all the bear around, it could have been a cub......glad it didnt happen at night while i was tenting......:bse