PDA

View Full Version : Need guidance from the experts

walkinslow
11-21-2013, 19:30
Planning a thru starting last week of march or within the first two weeks of April. I'm taking one pair of lightweight poly base layer for hiking, one pair mid weight wool poly blend bays layer for sleeping, hiking and town shorts three pair socks one pair underwear one synthetic t shirt beanie and light gloves Will a 20* bag be over kill I sleep a little cold also need advice on a good pad to use with a black bird double layer hammock. Oh yeah dri ducks for wind and rain protection. Thanks for your help.

map man
11-21-2013, 21:05
If you sleep a little cold the 20 degree bag is definitely NOT overkill. Sorry, I don't hammock, so I can't help you with the pad question. The rest of the stuff you list looks reasonable but I would add a lightweight insulated jacket (like a Patagonia Nanopuff or similar) or down sweater for staying warm in camp. Good luck to you!

Dogwood
11-21-2013, 22:02
Not only is that 20* sleeping bag? NOT overkill in may not be enough in a hammock w/ your start date and all that you said which left AN AWFUL LOT OUT in my mind. You leave me with more questions and considerations that I would want to know from you. Good luck.

walkinslow
11-21-2013, 22:04
Thanks for the reply map man. I have a puffy down I forgot to mention it. Will the 20* bag be marginal ? I'm just trying to decide if I should go lower. I would really like to sleep comfortable. What's your thoughts?

Dogwood
11-21-2013, 22:09
...Not overkill it may not be enough..

I would think you might want more warmth under you at the start if in a hammock

Toon
11-21-2013, 22:13
I think that's good. You covered all the basics. Take everything and mail home or bounce box from mountain crossings.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Toon
11-21-2013, 22:15
I think that's good. You covered all the basics. Take everything and mail home or bounce box from mountain crossings.

As long as you got a pad or underquilt!

walkinslow
11-21-2013, 22:21
Thanks for the help everyone. I have an uq but was thinking about leaving it at home and using a pad in case I want to sleep in a shelter or two, it would be nice to have something nice to lay my old bones on.

dmax
11-21-2013, 23:03
Get out now for a weekend on the AT and see how this set up works for you. These are some of the temps you will encounter.

Dogwood
11-22-2013, 03:20
Try your system out in some different low temps that are similar to what you will experience on the AT in late March inside the hammock and see how it goes. You're the best judge of what will work for you. You are the BEST "expert" of YOUR HIKE and KIT. :sun

Tri-Pod Bob
11-22-2013, 09:21
There are a # of options if you're set on using a pad. You can get a lot of info about keeping warm enough on your thru attempt at Hammock Forums.net

garlic08
11-23-2013, 00:24
I started in early April and my 15F bag was maxed out several nights with temps in the mid teens. If I'd had anything less, I would have bailed out to town. Don't underestimate spring weather in the Southern Appalachians.

Dogwood
11-23-2013, 01:05
I started in early April and my 15F bag was maxed out several nights with temps in the mid teens. If I'd had anything less, I would have bailed out to town. Don't underestimate spring weather in the Southern Appalachians.

That's another way of saying what I said. When I factor in you're in a hammock, where one tends to need extra warmth anyway(at least from what I know), and that you also said you "sleep a little cold", and knowing that it's certainly possible to get a few nights in the low teens around your anticipated start times, add in some COLD blustery nights.........you might need a little more warmth. How you achieve that is something you might consider. Good luck Have a great hike.

Venchka
11-23-2013, 09:49
Disclaimer: I know just enough to be dangerous.
G.S.M.N.P. = sleeping in shelters. Unless...you hike late into the day and the shelters on your permit are full. Then you must sleep near the shelter. However, the hammock folks will have to confirm if hammocks are/are not allowed in the park. S.N.P. may have rules similar to the Smokies.
Starting March 21 is prime winter storm season. Every year since I lived in western Mass. as a kid back in the Stone Age, there has been at least one Wollybugger of a storm on March 21 (+ or - a week). Starting April 15 might reduce the number of iffy nights for your 20 degree sleeping system.

Wayne

jdc5294
11-24-2013, 12:21
Your clothing load looks about right, maybe a bit on the excessive side but a lot better then most people just spitballing (I laugh when people say they're bringing three sets of hiking clothes). A lot of hostels (especially the later ones, when they have to deal with less people) have town clothes available, I never had a separate set of clothes just for town and I was fine. Dri ducks are fantastic, just be careful they rip easily. Also I left February 19th and I had a 20 degree marmot sleeping bag and it was perfect the whole way. Sorry I never hammocked, I had a thermarest 3/4 pad and it was fine too.