PDA

View Full Version : In a Pinch... thoughts on bottom insulation

G.G.
11-22-2013, 00:57
I'm heading out this weekend but have recently sold off my UQs with my new ones not due for a while.

The temp. is suppose to drop to 18* - 13*. At the moment, I'm working with two ancient thermarests. I have no clue to their model or R value. One is a regular full length, the other 3/4. Together, I'm getting roughly 3.5" of stack but that means nothing. I also have a reflectix sun shield. I've only used this for car duty so I have no expectations.

I'll have my 0* bag with me and will pack my sock. I'm not sure what I'm in for as I've never solely used pads.

Outside of buying a neoair xtherm, anyone have some thoughts / ideas. I feel I may be better off going to the ground.

GG

Likeapuma
11-22-2013, 01:13
I bought a cheap foam pad from Walmart to supplement my 32* UQ... I imagine the combination of all your layers would work, but may lose some comfort

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Tri-Pod Bob
11-22-2013, 09:39
Pads will work for you. Have you checked out Shug's vids on YouTube or researched the "Stickys" at Hammock Forums.net? Shug has a series for Noobs that is full of info, including pad use in winter. Personally, I'd stick with the hammock. A night of good sleep is important & one's options of site location is greatly increased.

1azarus
11-22-2013, 19:36
ah, another opportunity for me to go for the lifetime out in left field ul wierdo award. when it is likely to be a bit colder than my hammock setup will manage i bring a sheet of 1/8" white packing foam which i have cut to wear under my windshirt. it has a little extension at the top which i pull over my shoulders on each side, and a little extension on the sides which i pull up toward my stomach -- all held in place by the windshirt. the foam sheet is long enough to go just below my butt. it acts like a partial vapor barrier as well as an insulator -- and i can wear it while i walk around in camp. it might be just the ticket for you (or not! let me know...)

G.G.
11-22-2013, 20:33
wierdo award....

I don't think that's too out there, tho i"d be more inclined to use in a sheet form.

scope
12-03-2013, 11:57
How did it go?