PDA

View Full Version : CT Acclimiatization - Westbound

Coffee
11-22-2013, 10:51
Last night I started mapping out a rough plan for the Colorado Trail next summer using the official guidebook and map book materials. I am planning a 20 mpd average pace with, at most, 4 zero or near zero days for a total trip length of four weeks. Part of my motivation for doing around 20 mpd (even though I have the time to go slower if I wish) is to "test" myself for the pace I intend to hike on the PCT in 2015.

One question I have is whether I should take it relatively slow on the 105 mile section from the start to Breckenridge. I intend to arrive at the trail in solid shape already so the main issue is elevation. The trail doesn't rise above 10,000 feet until about mile 50 or so. My current plan is to take six days to reach Breckenridge rather than five with the first day at only 8.7 miles (to reach Bear Creek). I wouldn't sleep above 10,000 feet until night 3 in the middle of Segment 4.

I don't intend to resupply before Breckenridge so I'll be carrying around 5 1/2 days of food at the start with total starting pack weight of ~27 pounds.

This year I hiked the JMT and slept under 10,000 feet on the first three nights and then had very minor altitude related issues on day four over Donahue Pass (just over 11,000 feet) and never had altitude issues after that. So my current plan is similar except I sleep above 10,000 feet on night 3.

bearcreek
11-22-2013, 15:24
Your plan sounds totally plausible. Pack weight is important and yours sounds good, assuming you are including food and water in the 27 pounds. Your body will thank you if you can keep your base weight below 15 pounds.

Most people average somewhere between 2 and 2.5 miles per hour. I am on slow side of that range but find it fairly easy to average around 20 miles daily on the CT. I try to be hiking by 7:30 AM every morning (it is light before 6 AM), and push to have 10 miles in by 12:30 or so. Colorado averages about 14-1/2 hours of daylight in June and July, so you will have 8+ hours left in the afternoon to get another 10 miles. Weather is more of an issue in the afternoons, but there is usually plenty of time in there regardless. If it's rainy or wet during the night, I still adhere to the early start and carry the wet tent until it warms up, then stop for a few minutes to dry out.

Fairly easy to hike all the way to the South Platte on day one as long as you get an early start. Camping is not allowed on the river, but you could camp fairly close to it. There are some magnificent dry campsites high on the ridge before dropping down to the river, and some small ones fairly close but out of the posted closure area.

Unless you are one of those individuals that gets truly sick from altitude, the only affect it will have is that for a few days you will get winded faster heading uphill and move a bit slower. Over hydration at first helps a lot with that. "Climb high, sleep low" also applies - avoid sleeping on the passes. You will probably be totally dialed in by time you get to Breckenridge.

Coffee
11-22-2013, 15:44
The 27 pounds is total weight including the 5 1/2 days of food and 1 liter of water which I think is enough for Section 1 (although probably not for Section 2). I didn't realized that there was good camping near the South Platte - maybe it would make more sense to push all the way there on Day 1 rather than having a very short day. That could make subsequent days a bit easier as the elevation increases. Thanks for the feedback.

Cookerhiker
11-22-2013, 16:33
Acclimation-wise, I think you'll be OK but since the Trail rises gradually, you can play it by ear.

On the subject of your 20 mpd average:

I suggest you pay attention to weather and decide for yourself whether it's worth starting an ascent up above treeline in mid-afternoon when the sky is totally overcast and the ridgeline that you're hiking up is likely getting wacked with thunderstorms. In addition to the not-unrealistic of being struck by lightening, will you really enjoy your hike when you're getting soaked and hurrying to get up, then down to escape the storms? One of the best parts of the CT is enjoying the colorful wildflowers in the alpine areas. If this interests you, wouldn't you like to see them in the bright morning sunshine instead of afternoon when they're getting beat down by a cold rain? And what about views - you'll see some, but they're even better before the clouds roll in.

This is not hypothetical. More than once, we ended the day after 13-15 miles in mid-afternoon just before such an ascent. We got the tents up, ducked inside when the rain came, and hiked up that ridge when the guaranteed morning sun woke us up. The flowers, the sun, the views were all stupendous - far preferable than scrambling hurriedly with our heads down trying to get the climb overwith.

HYOH - you know what kind of hiking experience you want. If speed and "challenging yourself," is your main motivation, then go ahead and hike through those thunderstorms.

Coffee
11-22-2013, 16:44
Lightning is the trail hazard I'm most paranoid about so I'd never venture up an exposed ridge into a storm. I'd much rather get up very early in the AM and try to get the miles in before the storms hit. I'm not going to have any fixed return date from Durango to avoid being captive to a schedule. I do want to see whether 20 mpd is something my body can handle before I hike the PCT in 2015 but not at the expense of safety or enjoying the CT itself.

Mags
11-22-2013, 16:58
Any chance of staying in Denver a day or two before hiking? That should help a lot as well in tems of acclimatizing.

Coffee
11-22-2013, 17:13
Any chance of staying in Denver a day or two before hiking? That should help a lot as well in tems of acclimatizing.

I'm planning on one night in Denver but could potentially stay in the city for two nights, or possibly spend a night at Chatfield state park which I think offers camping and is close to the trailhead. Seems like a good idea.

Dogwood
11-22-2013, 18:08
Curious, how do you propose getting from Chatfield to the CT Waterton Canyon TH. Pondering aloud - there might be a walking/bicycle trail that POSSIBLY CAN take one to the CT WC TH. Might be a walk/hike in itself though. There's a decent Wildlife Center adjacent to a large parking lot right across the street from the CT Waterton Canyon TH(that's where I chatted up a ride from a very nice lady that took me all the way to a train station when I ended my CT thru-hike). Took the train into downtown Denver from there.

Coffee
11-22-2013, 18:25
Curious, how do you propose getting from Chatfield to the CT Waterton Canyon TH. Pondering aloud - there might be a walking/bicycle trail that POSSIBLY CAN take one to the CT WC TH..
From just a cursory look at Google maps it looks possible but I haven't really looked into the logistics in any detail.

colorado_rob
11-22-2013, 19:18
Curious, how do you propose getting from Chatfield to the CT Waterton Canyon TH. Pondering aloud - there might be a walking/bicycle trail that POSSIBLY CAN take one to the CT WC TH. Might be a walk/hike in itself though. There's a decent Wildlife Center adjacent to a large parking lot right across the street from the CT Waterton Canyon TH... Easy walk from the Chatfield SP campground to the waterton t/h. Maybe 3 miles. Just follow the main road that loops around the south end of the lake, hang a left just after the bridge that crosses the Platte river and follow the path to the very south end of CSP curving right then left, then look for a large parking lot. I can send you an aerial view map. Waterton canyon t/h is right across the road from the main parking lot. Holler if you need a ride from a Denver lightrail (or bus) park and ride on the SW side of town to chatfield SP. I live very close.

colorado_rob
11-22-2013, 19:21
Also, you should have no problem with acclimating starting in Denver. And that ride I offer would have to be on a weekday (I'm out hiking/climbing almost every weekend, including Fridays).

Coffee
11-22-2013, 19:32
Also, you should have no problem with acclimating starting in Denver. And that ride I offer would have to be on a weekday (I'm out hiking/climbing almost every weekend, including Fridays).
Thanks, that is very generous and appreciated.

Chaco Taco
11-22-2013, 21:10
We bounced right onto the trail from the airport and paid for it a little. Granted, we went to Goldhill and started to climb. It took me 2 days and my wife 3 to fully adjust.

Del Q
11-22-2013, 21:16
my hiking plan, at 54+ years old, is AT, Long Trail (only 173 miles more than the AT), PCT then the CDT (more or all should be marked by then).

Although each amazing in their own right, there seems to be something percolating in me about the CDT that is unique.

I sure hope that I get to hike it all!!!

bearcreek
11-22-2013, 22:33
HYOH - you know what kind of hiking experience you want. If speed and "challenging yourself," is your main motivation, then go ahead and hike through those thunderstorms.
FWIW, 20 mile days are not considered particularly difficult, hazardous, or extreme to most of the long distance hiking community. In fact, that is about the bare minimum needed to do one of the true long trails in a single season.

StubbleJumper
12-01-2013, 11:25
First off, acclimatization is a very personal requirement - some people suffer badly from altitude and others barely notice it. If you know which camp you're in, that's tremendously helpful before you even depart for Denver.

The other factor to consider right off the bat is the altitude at which you live. Personally, I live at about 200 feet about sea level, so even going to Denver at 5,200 is a noticeable change. OP's profile says that he lives in Virginia, so the altitude of his house could range from roughly 0-5,000 feet depending on specifically where in the state he lives. If he's already at 4,000 or 5,000 feet, well it's no biggie to head off to Denver at 5,280.

On my end to end hike of the CT, I spent two nights in Denver because I wanted to watch a couple of ball games at Coor's Field (awesome facility!) and because I had a bunch of errands to run to buy supplies and a few bits of gear. Having done this, I would recommend that people not underestimate Denver - it's a nice city to visit, and the REI store is a magnificent place to salivate over gear! On a couple of occasions in town, I found myself walking at my "normal" quick pace on the way to the grocery store and had to take a couple of quick breaths to "catch up." The thinner air is definitely noticeable.

On the trail, it's quite something to develop your trail-legs while getting accustomed to the thin air. Some of the longer climbs (ie, 1,000 ft+) leave you much more winded than what you'd feel back east. The only time that I really felt the altitude in the form of sickness was after spending my third night on the trail at 9,400 feet. It wasn't a big deal, just a little bit of a headache...it could have simply been a wee bit of dehydration too.

Overall, it wasn't until about Route 60 (Salida) that I really felt like I had good legs and good wind in the higher altitudes. But even then, somewhere around 11,500 or 12,000 ft, I'd really start sucking wind on the uphills.

Don't let any of this deter you, because it really wasn't a big deal for me. However, as always, listen to your body!

Coffee
12-01-2013, 11:33
On my end to end hike of the CT, I spent two nights in Denver because I wanted to watch a couple of ball games at Coor's Field (awesome facility!) and because I had a bunch of errands to run to buy supplies and a few bits of gear.

Interesting that you mention Coors Field. I just decided to stay in Denver two nights both to acclimate and to see a game!

I live right at sea level in Virginia right along the Potomac and most of my hiking is in SNP when I'm not on a longer trip.

Mags
12-01-2013, 21:56
Interesting that you mention Coors Field. I just decided to stay in Denver two nights both to acclimate and to see a game!

I'm not into sports all that much, but I do have a soft spot for baseball. The history, the nostalgia and it helps my maternal grandfather was a big Red Sox fan.

Coors Field is a great place to catch a game. Nothing like seeing a sunset over the Rockies (the mountains) while watching the Rockies (the team). :)

The same architect who designed Baltimore's Camden Yards also designed Coors Field from what I understand.

The Sandlot (http://www.yelp.com/biz/sandlot-brewery-denver) is Coors "craft brewery" (kinda???)wing in the stadium and makes some decent beers as well. Probably don't want too much if coming from lower elevations! ;)

Should be a great way to get used to the altitude a bit esp if coming sea level.

If you are going to REI, swing by "My Brother's Bar" for another local piece of Denver culture. Neil Cassady and Jack Kerouac used to hang out there apparently. Bonus: Oldest, continuously operating bar in Denver. Good burgers, too Only ~5-10m walk from the Denver REI (if that)

Dogwood
12-02-2013, 01:56
I thought there was a trail from CSP to Waterton Canyon TH but wasn't 100%. Thanks Rob.

colorado_rob
12-02-2013, 09:38
If you are going to REI, swing by "My Brother's Bar" for another local piece of Denver culture. Neil Cassady and Jack Kerouac used to hang out there apparently. Bonus: Oldest, continuously operating bar in Denver. Good burgers, too Only ~5-10m walk from the Denver REI (if that) (BTW, 2 minute walk)... My wife's and my first date included dinner at My Bro's Bar then shopping at REI. We repeat this first date thing a couple times every year. Bonus: Katty-corner to My Brother's Bar is a shop called Wilderness Exchange, another cool gear store with a great selection of used stuff on consignment (plus a good selection of new stuff). Leaning a bit more toward higher end gear then REI, like Western Mountaineering sleeping bags, etc. Sorry about adding to the drift, so I'll make one comment about acclimating.... A lot of altitude problems are because newbies at altitude are simply not used to how they will feel breathing in fewer O's. realize that you simply will not be able to hike as fast, even well acclimated folks. You will feel weaker, lacking energy. Realize this before hand and maybe it might help. This is not necessarily "altitude sickness". Also, as has been said, much drier climate out here, many "altitude headaches" are more from dehydration than anything else.

colorado_rob
12-02-2013, 09:39
I thought there was a trail from CSP to Waterton Canyon TH but wasn't 100%. Thanks Rob. Not so much a trail than a route along some dirt roads (only used by park personnel, not public roads). If I could post pics I'd post one showing the route from google earth. I need to figure out how to post pics.

Dogwood
12-02-2013, 20:00
.....I'll make one comment about acclimating.... A lot of altitude problems are because newbies at altitude are simply not used to how they will feel breathing... realize that you simply will not be able to hike as fast, even well acclimated folks. You will feel weaker, lacking energy. Realize this before hand and maybe it might help. This is not necessarily "altitude sickness".

+1 I wanted to point this out myself. I made this incorrect assumption myself as a previous east coast only hiker when I first started hiking out west at above 10K elev. I note quite a few coming from lower elevations in the east, accustomed to hiking at below 5k elev, and assuming their hiking will be equally as easy above 10K( and MPD averages will be easy to obtain once on the CT) once acclimitized. Not so fast. I absolutely agree, " realize this before hand and maybe it might help." East coasters not accustomed to the higher elevs should probably best keep this in mind - even once so called acclimitized.

4eyedbuzzard
12-02-2013, 20:16
+1 I wanted to point this out myself. I made this incorrect assumption myself as a previous east coast only hiker when I first started hiking out west at above 10K elev. I note quite a few coming from lower elevations in the east, accustomed to hiking at below 5k elev, and assuming their hiking will be equally as easy above 10K( and MPD averages will be easy to obtain once on the CT) once acclimitized. Not so fast. I absolutely agree, " realize this before hand and maybe it might help." East coasters not accustomed to the higher elevs should probably best keep this in mind - even once so called acclimitized.

Yeah, it actually takes 4 to 6 WEEKS to get "fully acclimated" to a higher elevation from a physiological standpoint. The larger physiological changes are in increased muscular capillary density and an increase in red blood cells. It takes time for the body to accomplish this. Even so, you still will not have the stamina you have at or near sea level due to physics (lower partial pressure of O2). You can acclimate enough by climbing high and sleeping low to avoid AMS withing a few days, but your performance will not be optimum. Even so, hiking and climbing above 10K ft is always difficult from a cardiovascular standpoint. I lived at 7500 ft for a year, and even the born and bred locals got short of breath more easily above 12K.

Coffee
01-27-2014, 10:45
I found a very good trail map for Chatfield state park for those interested in possibly accessing the camping facilities there prior to or after a CT hike:

http://www.parks.state.co.us/Parks/Chatfield/MapsandDirections/Pages/ChatfieldMapsandDirections.aspx

Click on "Chatfield Park Trail Map" for a PDF file. Looks like a relatively short walk along trails to the CT trailhead from the camping area.

colorado_rob
01-27-2014, 14:23
I found a very good trail map for Chatfield state park for those interested in possibly accessing the camping facilities there prior to or after a CT hike:

http://www.parks.state.co.us/Parks/Chatfield/MapsandDirections/Pages/ChatfieldMapsandDirections.aspx

Click on "Chatfield Park Trail Map" for a PDF file. Looks like a relatively short walk along trails to the CT trailhead from the camping area.It's about three miles, not bad, flat, combination of paved and dirt roads.

bdetamore
01-29-2014, 18:30
Thank you all for the excellent information in this thread (mpd averages, recommended Denver watering holes (near gear stores), place to camp near start of Waterton TH, map to TH, etc.).

For an out of towner looking to start CT from Denver, this has a lot of hard to find info. I appreciate the contributions and I (for one) do not mind the "drift" from OP topic.

Again thanks.