PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs to Erwin?

bigben
11-22-2013, 14:21
Started planning next spring's section. Have 8 days, two of which are travel days, so 6 trail days. How would you all break it up? Tell me about this section and the highlights.

Thans,

Bigben

10-K
11-22-2013, 14:30
One of my favorite sections. There are tons of road crossings, abundant water, campsites easy to locate, and if you beat the leaves there are lots of long range views. There's a hostel in between - Hemlock Hollow, but if you start in Hot Springs you'll hit it on your first day.

Not sure what you mean by breaking it up but it's a pretty easy 4 day hike - stretching it out to 6 days would be just a shade over 11 miles a day (I think....)

Many Moons
11-22-2013, 21:10
I got the same run in April. Got to do a 35 miler in Smokies to finish the north end to Standing Bear then a shuttle to Hot Springs to go north. Hope I have more than 6 days-hoping for like two weeks to make in to Watauga lake or somewhere near Boone,NC to get to my truck. I'll keep my eye on your post to learn how long it takes. Looks like a four day hke so far. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Started planning next spring's section. Have 8 days, two of which are travel days, so 6 trail days. How would you all break it up? Tell me about this section and the highlights.

Thans,

Bigben

Chaco Taco
11-22-2013, 21:12
I have done this hike in 2.5 days multiple times. Great section. If it is a dry season, it sucks in terms of having water available.

dmax
11-22-2013, 23:56
I have done this hike in 2.5 days multiple times. Great section. If it is a dry season, it sucks in terms of having water available.

That's a lot of miles for 2.5 days.

10-K
11-23-2013, 07:26
In the summer when pack weight is low it's doable if you're in good shape. I've done it in 2.5 as well and it's a good workout. Not a piece of cake, but doable.

I would choose to start at Hot Springs instead of Erwin.

dmax
11-23-2013, 11:16
Beginning of spring you will have less hiking time unless you night hike. Later spring the better.
without being in trail shape there is no way I could do 70 miles in 2 1/2 days. How do you all do it? Two 30's then a 10 mile day on the last day? .. I'm headed from SAMs Gap to HS next week and plan on 3 1/2 day for that hike. Gonna smell the roses:)

Del Q
11-23-2013, 20:59
I am trying to rehab my back, had to skip my Fall hike, NH to Maine, White Mountains, not happy about that

Spring hike is Erwin south.............10K, might be calling you for a shuttle from Johnson City to Uncle Johnnies.

Will put a pack on for the 1st time in February to see how my lower back deals with it.

Day by day as of now............Del Q not a happy hiker these days

bigben
11-24-2013, 10:21
Was thinking Hot springs to Spring Mtn, to Jerry Cabin, to Hogback, to Bald mtn, to No Business Knob, then to Erwin. Thoughts?

dmax
11-24-2013, 13:21
Sounds like a good hike!

Chaco Taco
11-24-2013, 14:43
That's a lot of miles for 2.5 days.
I smoke crack for big miles :)

oldwetherman
11-24-2013, 20:27
bigben. That sounds like a reasonable plan. Some nice views in that stretch also.