PDA

View Full Version : pack cover

squeezebox
11-23-2013, 00:44
I would think that after 5 days of solid rain a pack cover might be that little extra to keep your stuff a bit dryer. And the zpack stuff doesn't weigh much.

ChinMusic
11-23-2013, 01:33
When I'm not using my Packa it's the ZPacks pack cover.

Dogwood
11-23-2013, 15:28
Ohhh, a can o worms you opened up.

Sarcasm the elf
11-23-2013, 15:36
I'd recommend a pack cover on the outside as well as a garbage bag lining the inside of the pack.

What i've found is that the amount of water that my pack can absorb when it's not covered in the rain weighs a lot more than my pack cover does.

But, as Dogwood inferred, this is one of those topics that we love to argue about on this site and someone will be along in five minutes to disagree with me.:D

Prime Time
11-23-2013, 15:54
I agree with Sarcasm plus I keep my sleeping bag and clothes in Sea to Summit bags. Three levels of water protection. Never had a problem.

illabelle
11-23-2013, 16:40
I'd recommend a pack cover on the outside as well as a garbage bag lining the inside of the pack.

What i've found is that the amount of water that my pack can absorb when it's not covered in the rain weighs a lot more than my pack cover does.

But, as Dogwood inferred, this is one of those topics that we love to argue about on this site and someone will be along in five minutes to disagree with me.:D

I disagree with you Elf. I don't know why. Actually I don't know exactly what I'm disagreeing with. But I'm definitely disagreeing. Most definitely.
(There now that's over with. Carry on with the discussion.)

MDSection12
11-23-2013, 17:01
I agree with Sarcasm plus I keep my sleeping bag and clothes in Sea to Summit bags. Three levels of water protection. Never had a problem.
+1

I keep all my down in a Sea to Summit, I figure that way I always have that to warm me in an emergency.

squeezebox
11-23-2013, 17:46
So where can you get a few trash compactor bags with out buying a pack of 50 ?

jimmyjam
11-23-2013, 19:03
You can buy them from Mountain Laurel Designs. Also I think sometimes Gossamer Gear and maybe Lawson Equipment might have them.

Del Q
11-24-2013, 09:22
I concur with Prime Time. For the small amount of extra weight I WANT MY GEAR TO STAY AS DRY AS POSSIBLE. During my Vermont hike had 6 straight days of rain, gear was fine. Pack cover, sea to summit huge bag as a liner, have always help my gear in separate gear bags.

Bought a zpack cuben fiber cover that I will use this Spring, big + of cuben fiber is that it does not get soaked, sil nylon does.

ULterEgo
11-24-2013, 14:18
Is there any other use for a pack cover (other than covering your pack?)

Coffee
11-24-2013, 14:38
I rely on a zPacks liner to keep my gear dry inside the pack (although compactor bags are a cheaper alternative) and a zPacks cover to keep my pack itself from getting soaked and taking on water weight. Also, I keep my pack inside my shelter usually empty and under my head at night so it is better to not have a soaking pack there as well. The pack liner is 2 ounces and the cover is 1.5 ounces. If I had a cuben pack, I would probably not carry a pack cover.

MDSection12
11-24-2013, 14:46
I've been trying to rationalize it this way as well... Haven't had much luck. It does make a nice cover for a general pile of gear, but my pack is generally the base of that pile.

Mountain Mike
11-24-2013, 17:32
I've used mine as a wash basin at times. Use a few logs or rocks to form a bowl, put your pack cover in it & fill with water.25031

Valley Girl
11-24-2013, 19:09
Anyone try one of these?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Wind-tour-outdoor-waterproof-poncho-backpack-rain-cover-one-piece-raincoat/835372658.html

ChinMusic
11-24-2013, 19:53
Anyone try one of these?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Wind-tour-outdoor-waterproof-poncho-backpack-rain-cover-one-piece-raincoat/835372658.html

How would you get IN that thing. And can you say sauna.

MuddyWaters
11-24-2013, 20:05

Besides most grocery stores, hardware stores, home depot, lowes, and walmart, try amazon.

Hefty trash compactor bags come in box of 6 for about $4. 2.2 oz each, white (easy to find stuff) and taller than others.

MuddyWaters
11-24-2013, 20:07

I read one time on a thread here I think, that someone came upon a pack with a cover on it on the side of a trail, with no one around. They stopped and wondered where the owner was.

The pack said to them "Just move along"

Apparently there was a very small woman under the pack cover.

Valley Girl
11-24-2013, 20:32
How would you get IN that thing. And can you say sauna.

Sorry if my inquiry is not legit enough for this topic.

Toon
11-24-2013, 20:35
I take with me when gathering fire wood it works great

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Violent Green
11-24-2013, 21:25
I would think that after 5 days of solid rain a pack cover might be that little extra to keep your stuff a bit dryer. And the zpack stuff doesn't weigh much.

After much experimenting, I found the perfect setup for me: Cuben fiber hybrid backpack with a trash compactor bag liner. The cuben/polyester fabric absorbs almost zero moisture so I don't need a cover to keep my pack from gaining 8lbs of water weight, and the compactor bag keeps everything inside dry as a bone. Works terrific.

Ryan

Deacon
11-26-2013, 07:59
After much experimenting, I found the perfect setup for me: Cuben fiber hybrid backpack with a trash compactor bag liner. The cuben/polyester fabric absorbs almost zero moisture so I don't need a cover to keep my pack from gaining 8lbs of water weight, and the compactor bag keeps everything inside dry as a bone. Works terrific.

Ryan

+1 on this. My setup exactly.