PDA

View Full Version : 25% off EVERYTHING at Wal-mart for one day

Different Socks
11-24-2013, 00:26
I have been given the opportunity to get 25% off whatever I wish to buy at the local Wally World, but I can only do it once.
I am planning a hike of the AT beginning on the Florida Trail yet will not commence this hike until Dec 2015--that's 2 years from now.
So here is my question: Disregarding foods that would be eaten for dinner, what would be some foods for breakfast, lunch, snacks, dessert that I could purchase now yet they would still be palatable in 2 years or more?
Is there any reliable gear, clothing, hygiene, medicinal items that Wal-mart sells that I could purchase?

BTW, I'd like to say that I do know some of the obvious things I could get, but I am asking for other things and/or ideas for things I may have nt thought of.

Thank you!

tarantolk
11-24-2013, 01:26
The 3 pack dry sacks they have are good (red, blue, yellow) everyone I saw on trail had them.

moldy
11-24-2013, 08:40
When I examine my "ready to go" pack setting here in front of me right now for "wal-mart" available items. I don't have very much. Knock off crocks, clip on head lamp, medical kit items, jack-knife, paracord, a few aluminum tent stakes, a polyester shirt from the hunting section, 2 bic lighters, a fuel canister, 2 water bottle clips to carry soda bottles, a pin-on compass. 3 packs of mountain house food, tight fitting leather gloves, the camera, the batteries inside my camera and my steri-pen. My heavy sleeping socks and knit Packers hat. Not much value wise but more than I thought.

daddytwosticks
11-24-2013, 15:49
The Starter brand clothing line provides great bang for the buck. Some examples: short and long sleeve lightweight pullover shirts, compression boxer-briefs, 100 wt pullover fleece, etc. I can sometimes find the shirts and fleece for less than $10. :)

slow mind
11-24-2013, 15:55
Noting that you said EVERYTHING, Can you buy gift cards at 25% off?

10-K
11-24-2013, 16:38
Our Walmart has DriDucks and a selection of Mt. House meals in the sporting goods section. Lithium AA and AAA's. Stuff for your 1st aid kit in the pharmacy section, blaze orange stuff for hunting season hikes. Clif bars... All kinds of stuff in the grocery section - baggies and zip locks,

Thermals in the sporting good section - they have some decent polyester stuff.

4eyedbuzzard
11-24-2013, 16:59
The 3 pack dry sacks they have are good (red, blue, yellow) everyone I saw on trail had them.
Ditto on this. The larger one can double as a water carrier around evening camp when water is far off.
Also A good pair of tweezers (machined point), Seam Sealer, Headlamp (may not be latest and greatest but they now offer some Petzl products), Batteries (most alkalines are good for 5+ years, check the date, store in cool place under 80F or if not possible in refrigerator), trekking poles (quality?), some GSI cookware like Haulite minimalist and Microdualist are available, as are cheap lightweight cookware some of which are suitable for hiking in the regular cookware department. I think they still sell synthetic T shirts (DRIMORE?). You can also get fabrics at some stores if you're into DIY gear.

Different Socks
11-24-2013, 18:05
Noting that you said EVERYTHING, Can you buy gift cards at 25% off?

Good question! I will ask. May sound like a dumb question, but you never know and ya gotta wonder.

Different Socks
11-24-2013, 18:06
Our Walmart has DriDucks and a selection of Mt. House meals in the sporting goods section. Lithium AA and AAA's. Stuff for your 1st aid kit in the pharmacy section, blaze orange stuff for hunting season hikes. Clif bars... All kinds of stuff in the grocery section - baggies and zip locks,

Thermals in the sporting good section - they have some decent polyester stuff.

Clif Bars are good idea. How long do they last?

johnnybgood
11-24-2013, 18:24
Clif Bars are good idea. How long do they last?

Maybe just me, but I have trouble finding Clif Bars palatable anytime, much less a year or two later.

Dogwood
11-24-2013, 18:29
If you're talking about trail foods that can be bought now used two yrs down the road: most dried soups - (Cuginos(No MSG!, chicken noodle is good, Burgundy French Onion can be used as a base to make more interesting tastier meals), Bear Creek Country Kitchen (chilis and Chicken Noodle aren't bad, Edward and Sons Savory Seaweed Miso Soup(No MSG!, good for a change of pace in the soups department, I discard the MSG and cheap salt laden Ramen packets and add a packet of Edwards Miso soup instead for flavor to Ramen or Buckwheat Noodles(I've seen Buckwheat Noodles sold at WalMarts as well)). REMEMBER, a soup can be added to or be a base to make a food that is no longer considered a "soup!" And, "soup" is NOT just for cold weather hikes! I usually buy dried soups in the larger sizes, once I know I like a particular brand and type, and break down to customize portions for myself to save even more $. Soups are staples in my trail bag supplies.

Thai Kitchen Rice Noodles, some trail bars, Wild Alaskan Salmon/tuna pouches/packets(I look for Yellowfin Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil(Extra cals and good fat for hiking), Sue Bee/Tyson Chicken pouches/packets, oatmeal, Near East/Ancient Harvest/Eden/Seeds of Change Quinoa/Brown rice/Bulghur products(some Gluten Free and ready to warm up), Bare Naked Granolas, Bob's Red Mill Organic products(chia seed, flax seed, shelled hemp seed, ground meals), Salba Smart Chia Boost(chia seed is also known as salba), Cook Simple Cowboy Chili(bet you never had chili that tastes like this, set to warm up), unopened air sealed nuts/other seeds(sunflower, pumpkin, etc), Crunchies/Sensible Foods/Crispy Green freeze dried fruits, SnapPea Crisps, Bare Fruit Apple Chips(healthier and tastier alternative to greasy often hydrogenated oil containing potato(and like) chips, Backpacker's Pantry Organic Olive Oil 6-Pack (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backpacker-s-Pantry-Organic-Olive-Oil-6-Pack/32304474)(small packets), Lithium batteries etc

These are ALL items I've found at various WalMarts. I'll betcha they weren't all so obvious to ya especially at WalMart. Seek and you shall find. Hint: leave more perishable food items airtight in original packaging and/or double seal items like nuts, seeds, (fatty stuff), etc in ziplocs for storage until it gets near to when you are ready to eat them or mail them out in resupply boxes. What I do is drop a few ziplocs in the few resupply boxes I do mail ahead and rid myself of much of the bulky original packaging WHEN I PICK UP my resupply boxes enroute. This brings up another thing. The money you're saving now on food and gear at WalMart can help offset the postage costs of mailing out a few resupply boxes with harder(possibly much more expensive items?) to find enroute once on trail.

With WalMart already having some excellent low prices on these items and by combining your additional 25% off don't you think this is a GREAT time to try some of these other food items expanding your range of perhaps healthier eating options that have two yr shelf lifes? PERFECT opportunity to cut the costs on these items and start checking out something other than Pop Tarts, Snickers, HoHos, cheese danish, SPAM, Vienna Sausages in a can, etc!:sun

MuddyWaters
11-24-2013, 18:31
25% off isnt a good enough deal to entice me to buy anything from Walmart that I dont need currently.

I buy a lot of groceries there. As little else as possible.

Different Socks
11-24-2013, 18:38
If you're talking about trail foods that can be bought now used two yrs down the road: most dried soups - (Cuginos(No MSG!, chicken noodle is good, Burgundy French Onion can be used as a base to make more interesting tastier meals), Bear Creek Country Kitchen (chilis and Chicken Noodle aren't bad, Edward and Sons Savory Seaweed Miso Soup(No MSG!, good for a change of pace in the soups department, I discard the MSG and cheap salt laden Ramen packets and add a packet of Edwards Miso soup instead for flavor to Ramen or Buckwheat Noodles(I've seen Buckwheat Noodles sold at WalMarts as well)). REMEMBER, a soup can be added to or be a base to make a food that is no longer considered a "soup!" And, "soup" is NOT just for cold weather hikes! I usually buy dried soups in the larger sizes, once I know I like a particular brand and type, and break down to customize portions for myself to save even more $. Soups are staples in my trail bag supplies.

Thai Kitchen Rice Noodles, some trail bars, Wild Alaskan Salmon/tuna pouches/packets(I look for Yellowfin Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil(Extra cals and good fat for hiking), Sue Bee/Tyson Chicken pouches/packets, oatmeal, Near East/Ancient Harvest/Eden/Seeds of Change Quinoa/Brown rice/Bulghur products(some Gluten Free and ready to warm up), Bare Naked Granolas, Bob's Red Mill Organic products(chia seed, flax seed, shelled hemp seed, ground meals), Salba Smart Chia Boost(chia seed is also known as salba), Cook Simple Cowboy Chili(bet you never had chili that tastes like this, set to warm up), unopened air sealed nuts/other seeds(sunflower, pumpkin, etc), Crunchies/Sensible Foods/Crispy Green freeze dried fruits, SnapPea Crisps, Bare Fruit Apple Chips(healthier and tastier alternative to greasy often hydrogenated oil containing potato(and like) chips, Backpacker's Pantry Organic Olive Oil 6-Pack (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backpacker-s-Pantry-Organic-Olive-Oil-6-Pack/32304474)(small packets), Lithium batteries etc

These are ALL items I've found at various WalMarts. I'll betcha they weren't all so obvious to ya especially at WalMart. Seek and you shall find. Hint: leave more perishable food items airtight in original packaging and/or double seal items like nuts, seeds, (fatty stuff), etc in ziplocs for storage until it gets near to when you are ready to eat them or mail them out in resupply boxes. What I do is drop a few ziplocs in the few resupply boxes I do mail ahead and rid myself of much of the bulky original packaging WHEN I PICK UP my resupply boxes enroute. This brings up another thing. The money you're saving now on food and gear at WalMart can help offset the postage costs of mailing out a few resupply boxes with harder(possibly much more expensive items?) to find enroute once on trail.

With WalMart already having some excellent low prices on these items and by combining your additional 25% off don't you think this is a GREAT time to try some of these other food items expanding your range of perhaps healthier eating options that have two yr shelf lifes? PERFECT opportunity to cut the costs on these items and start checking out something other than Pop Tarts, Snickers, HoHos, cheese danish, SPAM, Vienna Sausages in a can, etc!:sun

Work 3rd shift stocking the shelves and have noticed many other good things I can try for hiking--the Thai Rice noodles come to mind. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

Different Socks
11-24-2013, 18:40
25% off isnt a good enough deal to entice me to buy anything from Walmart that I dont need currently.

I buy a lot of groceries there. As little else as possible.

But Muddy, if buying $200 in food for a hike, 25% off is savings as gas in the tank to get me to the trail.

MuddyWaters
11-24-2013, 19:21
If that hike is two years away, a lot can happen to your plans in that time. Then instead of saving $50, you wasted $150.

Happens all the time.

OK, it doesnt need to be wasted, you can still eat it.

But by the same arguement, why not buy all of your christmas presents for the next couple of years, birthday presents, greeting cards, clothing, household supplies, oil/filter for car, etc. That will add up to a lot more than $200 and you KNOW you will need those.

(Just the same, I wouldnt do that either)

WingedMonkey
11-24-2013, 19:35
I would buy stuff I need on a daily basis before the hike.

The same 25% saved is cash in the pocket no matter if it's not for hiking now. Then when you are close to your hike date you have the money you saved now to spend on hike stuff then.

You could get hit by some animal on the highway between now and then.

:p

perrymk
11-24-2013, 19:47
There are two types of Coleman toilet paper. This one is the more compact. I always carry one in my carryon bag while traveling. http://www.walmart.com/ip/13848626?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3

MuddyWaters
11-24-2013, 20:25
I would buy stuff I need on a daily basis before the hike.

The same 25% saved is cash in the pocket no matter if it's not for hiking now. Then when you are close to your hike date you have the money you saved now to spend on hike stuff then.

You could get hit by some animal on the highway between now and then.

:p

++ sounds like a plan to me

Dogwood
11-24-2013, 21:28
Headlamps -http://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-Trailfinder-3-LED-Headlight/10233057 , I still like this cheapo about $12-13 headlamp for hiking trails like the AT despite having much pricier Black diamond and Petzl headlamps.

Fuel canisters - ask for even a deep case/bulk discount and THEN apply the additional 25% off IF you can.

Pocket knife(Walmart carries Swiss Army Knives as well as Leathermans)

Sunglasses. They have some nice ones for hiking in the Fishing Dept.(Berkley, Typhoon)

BEWARE: Careful with the Ozark Trail brand gear in the Sports Dept though. Most of it is the cheapest crap and most likely see a very limited number of days use ie;not last an entire AT thru-hike

Band-Aid brand blister ampules or blister kit: shttp://www.walmart.com/ip/Band-Aid-Brand-Adhesive-Bandages-Advanced-Healing-Blister-6-Ct./10316209, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Band-Aid-Flexible-Fabric-Adhesive-Bandages-8-count/17179651

If they allow you to get the 25% off on electronics consider a tablet, cheapo cell ph just for the trail and loaded with mins from a card, and/or cell ph min card, pocket sized digital camera for the trail, camera memory cards, camera case, etc

Dogwood
11-24-2013, 21:46
In regards to wasting money should something happen to you and you are not able to hike, which is possible, avoid and/or minimize that by buying stuff, like what trailfoods you choose eat, that you would eat or use even IF you were not able to hike. Batteries, a pocket knife, or headlamp for example may be useful in the car or at the house too even you were never to step on a trail again. And, remember, most of the items given to you by others and myself can be used(or eaten) beyond a two yr period.

Those Starter polyester tees I've bought for $4 and hiked in at one time. Hey, if you wannna hike enough and are on a TIGHT WAD cheapskate budget like I was(sometimes still am) you don't absolutely need $60 Smartwool or Icebreaker tees like I mostly wear now! When I'm visiting my sis, who's a property MNGR, and I'm offered to make some quick cash doing some property work like painting, carpentry, masonary, landscaping, etc I still head over to WallyWorld(or a Goodwill store) and buy those Starter tees and a $10 pr of WallyWorld's faded Glory denim jeans and a $20 pr of trail runners. still have a couple lying around that I do odd jobs around the house like painting or yardwork in. Same with those

Dogwood
11-24-2013, 21:53
Honestly, I still had food that I had bought for hiking 3 yrs ago, and I'm NOT talking about pricey MH meals either(I rarely buy these anymore), that I just ate this yr on trail. Some of it I ate at home as well. I just had some Hempseed and Chia seed and a pouch of Wild Alaska Salmon in last night's dinner that I had stored properly that I had originally bought for the trail 3 yrs ago on sale.

flemdawg1
11-25-2013, 15:57
In addition to the 3-pack of Sil stuff sacks, I also like the Outdoor Products hiking poles (the ones sold singly w/ camlocks)(I've used mine for 6 years), and the hydration bladders. I also own a small Coleman led lantern but rarely carry it. Also check for Potable Aqua clorine dioxide water treatment tabs. I also regularly use Starter athletic wear too, especially the thin running socks.

Different Socks
11-25-2013, 16:03
If that hike is two years away, a lot can happen to your plans in that time. Then instead of saving $50, you wasted $150.

Happens all the time.

But by the same arguement, why not buy all of your christmas presents for the next couple of years, birthday presents, greeting cards, clothing, household supplies, oil/filter for car, etc. That will add up to a lot more than $200 and you KNOW you will need those.

(Just the same, I wouldn't do that either)

I did start a list and some of the above items were on it. Store is 3 miles away, so buying everything ahead of time will save time, money and gas.

Different Socks
11-25-2013, 16:17
"You could get hit by some animal on the highway between now and then".

Been there, done that! Last year hit a buffalo. You should have seen the car. Year before that I hit a deer on my scoot and almost died. Next up would be an elk or moose?

kayak karl
11-25-2013, 19:03
if a friend wants a flat screen at 15% off you can pocket the 10% for your hike. 3 high priced items; grills, electronics, snowblowers, ect. bought for others you could pocket $200-$300. just a thought.

Dogwood
11-25-2013, 20:52
I saw a mid sized car that had hit a moose in New Hampshire. Totaled the car. Fortunately, the driver recovered from the injuries sustained in the accident. A buffalo? You hit a deer on your scoot? LOL. I expect you're OK now though. Hope you were wearing a helmet. Hitting big animals like that especially at a higher rate of speed ... pheeww.

KK, the entrepreneur. Who knew.

Different Socks
11-25-2013, 20:52
if a friend wants a flat screen at 15% off you can pocket the 10% for your hike. 3 high priced items; grills, electronics, snowblowers, ect. bought for others you could pocket $200-$300. just a thought.

Shhhh! Don't tell anybody!

Dogwood
11-25-2013, 21:10
And today's monthly state of the market report. Analysts are reporting higher than avg monthly earnings for WalMart. Upon closer inspection it seems the Walmarts in the Montana region have unexpectedly experienced a significant increase in flat screen TV sales. Analysts are pondering the reasons for the higher the normal sales.

WILLIAM HAYES
11-25-2013, 23:17
a wally mart grease pot

Different Socks
11-26-2013, 00:26
I saw a mid sized car that had hit a moose in New Hampshire. Totaled the car. Fortunately, the driver recovered from the injuries sustained in the accident. A buffalo? You hit a deer on your scoot? LOL. I expect you're OK now though. Hope you were wearing a helmet. Hitting big animals like that especially at a higher rate of speed ... pheeww.

KK, the entrepreneur. Who knew.

Was wearing helmet, but sstill badly messed up:25035

Different Socks
11-26-2013, 00:29
And today's monthly state of the market report. Analysts are reporting higher than avg monthly earnings for WalMart. Upon closer inspection it seems the Walmarts in the Montana region have unexpectedly experienced a significant increase in flat screen TV sales. Analysts are pondering the reasons for the higher the normal sales.

I can tell you one reason why: Every 2 weeks or so there is a line of people at 11pm waiting over an hour for the release of a new video game. In other words, the residents of central to eastern MT don't know how to get outside and enjoy reality.

Mountain Mike
11-26-2013, 03:29
What? Risk going outside & doing something to better yourself like exercise? Much safer & warmer
staying inside playing vidio games saving the world or taking it over. Even if you mess up you just hit "Start Over"!

rickb
11-26-2013, 17:36
Walmart is one of a small handful of places you can get prescription eyeglasses without being grossly overcharged. Costco is good too.

But at Walmart you can get Duck Dynasty branded frames with real-tree camp on the inside of the part that wraps around your ear. What could be better than that.

MDSection12
11-26-2013, 18:40
Snag a few of the blue CCF pads and have sit pads for life! I take an extra and barter it for food or beer around the campfire!

Different Socks
12-04-2013, 16:31

Happens all the time.

(Just the same, I wouldnt do that either)

Alt of the above is on my list. Goin shopping today!

Dogwood
12-04-2013, 17:03
I can tell you one reason why: Every 2 weeks or so there is a line of people at 11pm waiting over an hour for the release of a new video game. In other words, the residents of central to eastern MT don't know how to get outside and enjoy reality.

What? Risk going outside & doing something to better yourself like exercise? Much safer & warmer
staying inside playing vidio games saving the world or taking it over. Even if you mess up you just hit "Start Over"!

WELL, Havre MT is pretty OUT THERE.

Different Socks
12-04-2013, 21:01
thanks for the idea of Starter shirts. Was just there and will be back tomorrow to pick out several just for hiking. Other things I forgot to add to my list:

--mini bungees
--gal of coleman
--multipacks of hand warmers

rocketsocks
12-04-2013, 21:54
thanks for the idea of Starter shirts. Was just there and will be back tomorrow to pick out several just for hiking. Other things I forgot to add to my list:

--mini bungees
--gal of coleman
--multipacks of hand warmersI use those shirts as well, when they get too ratty...I pitch em.