PDA

View Full Version : saving campfires

mingo
08-24-2005, 12:32
here's an issue for the forum: what can we do to stop this trend of banning campfires everywhere? in the smokies, they have now stopped up the fireplace in the shelter on mount leconte, saying they did it because hikers were chopping down fraser fir saplings. first of all, i can't believe too many hikers did that because that would be just too stupid. they wouldn't burn. secondly, if they're really concerned about impact on leconte, why don't they close the lodge? why don't they shut down the road that runs through the park and make people take shuttle buses? car fumes have caused way more harm to the trees on leconte than any hiker with an ax. and what about all the noise from the harleys and cars and trucks roaring up clingman's dome road? that's some serious noise pollution.

many hikers have spent many a happy time around the campfire on leconte and now that tradition is gone. it's a damn slippery slope. next the park service will ban fires all up and down the a.t in the smokies. in the shenandoah, i wouldn't be surprised if they weren't getting ready to ban fires at the huts on the a.t. the little stone firepits are falling apart, and the park service is refusing to let the hut maintainers fix them. the park service already has banned campfires everywhere else in the shenny. what's next?

dougmeredith
08-24-2005, 12:52
i can't believe too many hikers did that because that would be just too stupid.
If you go through life believing that there aren't many people that will do stupid things, you are in for a life of surprises. :)

Doug

Tin Man
08-24-2005, 13:58
Perhaps it is not worth getting worked up on a ban of campfires at one site, or is it? There is already a total ban on campfires at shelters and tent sites on the AT in NJ and CT, purportedly because they are heavy use sections of the trail. There are many other individual sites that have banned campfires along the AT in New England. My hope is other states or sites will not follow suit as half the fun of backpacking (at least for me) is to sit around the campfire at night. However (and as usual), due to the unfortunate behavior of a few, I fear the rest of us will be penalized and campfires will eventually go the way of the gooney bird. And it is not just the AT - campfires are considered so hazardous in the often dry state of California that the Boy Scouts have banned campfires and sit around a battery-powered lattern to peform "traditional" evening activities such as sing "campfire" songs and put on skits. Teaching boy scouts proper management of campfires would probably help prevent more fires than an outright ban would. I picture a scout who never had a campfire going out on his own and building a forbidden campfire, but not knowing how to contain it or put it out properly, inadvertently started a forest file. Certainly campfire bans are necessary and should be mandatory when forest fire risk is high, but a total ban seems to be extreme and takes away from the camping experience.

I really don't see the point in implementing bans that penalize everyone because of the behavior of a few. I am not trying to be the boy crying Wolf, just expressing my concern that campfires appear to be on the agenda as an unsafe activity that should be banned, when in fact, education and enforcement are perfectly viable alternatives.

Tha Wookie
08-24-2005, 15:21
Managers seek ways to control impacts. Restrictions are unfortunate, but they can be effective. However, I've found that the majority of the people making the problems (large bonfires, not putting out fires, making them in sensntive areas, ect.) ignore the policies anyway, and then the people who end up getting punished are those who abide by the rules.

Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly educational programs are good to inform people how to protect their God-given RIGHT (not privledge, IMOP) to make a contained, well-placed campfire.
Social Pressure is EXTREMELY important. we should encourage each other to have small, responsible fires, and call out those who threaten our rights with excessive and large fires. We should hold "bad actors" accountable.
Personal habits are key, if someone can learn them. We must be good examples at all times, and take every opportunity to gently educate others (not lecturing) on good techniques.
leave our axes and hatchets at home. if you can't break enough downed wood to have a fire, then it's not a good place to have one
We should never have fires in dry conditions.
We should not burn our toilet paper in a cat hole
We should pack out our trash and extra food, instead of putting it in the fire (research shows food does not completely burn in the average campfire
We should use only existing fire rings
We should speak up, and let our park managers know how much we value our right to have a campfire
We should go nights without a fire, and watch the stars

RedneckRye
08-24-2005, 21:32
Let's see, areas on the east coast with fire restrictions seem to be the Smokys, SNP, CT and MA, plus a few other areas. That leaves about a zillion other places to go and get wood smoke in your eyes.
As far as western areas with restrictions due to drought and fire danger, can't see any reason to argue with that. Although it is kinda fun, in a sick twisted way, to watch million dollar trophy mountain homes go up in flames on the evening news every summer.

saimyoji
08-24-2005, 22:14
Then they rebuild in the same place so you can watch it again the next year. Meanwhile insurance premiums go up......:datz