PDA

View Full Version : Loop hikes or shuttles in Shenandoah NP for January.

saltysack
11-25-2013, 14:32
I'll be close to SNP for work in Jan. I want to spend 3-4 days on trail with my dog. A little concerned about depending on shuttle with winter weather and road closures. Loop hike maybe more logical...any loop or shuttle advice as I've never hiked north of Damascus. Thoughts??

MDSection12
11-25-2013, 14:41
I highly recommend a loop including Old Rag's Ridge Trail. Far and away my favorite hike in this are, that I've done. You can take White Oak Canyon down from Skyline Drive, up and over Old Rag, and then over Robertson and back for a ~25 mile loop. We did that a few years ago over a weekend. We camped below the summit of Old Rag (camping only allowed below Byrd's Nest Shelter, at least back then) the first night, and then on the peak of Robertson the second night... Both were jaw-droppingly excellent places to spend a night. :)

Coffee
11-25-2013, 14:48
If hiking Old Rag in January, I would suggest taking the Saddle Trail to the summit and returning the same way rather than using the Ridge trail which can get treacherous with ice. The Saddle Trail isn't as dramatic but doesn't have the type of scrambles that could be hazardous due to icy conditions. Of course it could be perfectly safe to use the ridge trail depending on conditions - just something to be aware of.

mak1277
11-25-2013, 19:05
If hiking Old Rag in January, I would suggest taking the Saddle Trail to the summit and returning the same way rather than using the Ridge trail which can get treacherous with ice. The Saddle Trail isn't as dramatic but doesn't have the type of scrambles that could be hazardous due to icy conditions. Of course it could be perfectly safe to use the ridge trail depending on conditions - just something to be aware of.

I'd argue that Old Rag is "just another hike to a view" without the scramble section of the hike on the Ridge Trail. I didn't think the summit was all that much better than, say, Mary's Rock. The scramble part of the hike is awesome though (as long as it's not crowded).

johnnybgood
11-25-2013, 20:19
My loop advice for a 3 day hike is in the previous thread you started. I'd warn against attempting a rock scramble hike like Old Rag in January where ice can potentially be your next hand grip, with a dog no less. Perhaps checking with the park headquarters regarding conditions, first hand information before heading to the trailhead. As far a shuttles go I can recommend Bill Gallagher out of Afton ; phone :540-456-8078.

Coffee
11-25-2013, 23:45
I'd argue that Old Rag is "just another hike to a view" without the scramble section of the hike on the Ridge Trail. I didn't think the summit was all that much better than, say, Mary's Rock. The scramble part of the hike is awesome though (as long as it's not crowded).

No doubt that the Ridge trail is the highlight. It could be fine in January if there is no ice.

Actually I just noticed that the OP is hiking with his dog. I don't think dogs are even allowed on the ridge trail and even if so, it would be very impractical given the nature of the scramble and probably not much fun for the dog.