PDA

View Full Version : Question about gaiters

abuesch
11-25-2013, 15:55
I'm hoping to get out for a 4 or 5 day mid-December. A buddy and I were planning on going from Elkmont to Fontana Dam. I'm a little worried about snowfall on the AT (ridgeline) section of this route. All in all, I have some pretty decent gear, but was wondering if I should add a pair of gaiters to the mix. :rolleyes: Opinions appreciated!

Malto
11-25-2013, 16:13
You could run into a huge variety of weather. In one 24 hour period last December in went from hiking in just shorts and shoes to temperatures below twenty with strong winds and snow. So, its hard to know what to expect. If there is snow it will likely be fresh snow so gaiters would help. If you wear trail runners make sure you don't get ice balls building up under the mesh above the toes. (That's happened a couple times to me in fresh snow and can be a pain, literally.) you may also want micro spikes or equivalent. Ice would concern me that time of year more than snow. In that 24 hour period I mentioned above, the trail went from a full fledge stream to shear ice. That was a bit fun!

Dogwood
11-25-2013, 21:27
check the weather before u go make sure you account for the weather at the elevs you'll be hiking gear up w/ gaiters if u think necessary

fiddlehead
11-25-2013, 21:33
If you expect snow, sure, take gaiters.
But if it's only for a few miles, I wouldn't bother.
You can always use breadbags or ziplocks inside your shoes for a couple miles.
Take extra socks of course.