PDA

View Full Version : bicycle gloves & treking poles

squeezebox
11-26-2013, 12:07
I would think that bicycle gloves would offer some padding & absorption with treking poles during the hot sweaty months.

Coffee
11-26-2013, 12:12
That's what I use. It helps quite a bit and also prevents sunburn on the top of my hands.

squeezebox
11-26-2013, 12:28
Thanks Rambling

Cookerhiker
11-26-2013, 12:56
They definitely help me when cycling but thus far, I haven't had the urge to try them hiking. My Black Diamonds grips are pretty substantial.

HooKooDooKu
11-26-2013, 13:20
I use a bamboo pole wrapped with tennis racket grip tape. Since the tape is designed to help hold a tennis racket with sweaty palms, I find it works good with sweaty hands or in the rain.

When I first started hiking with a pole, I found I needed gloves (such as bicycling or golfing) to help protect my hands. But it was just something else to wear out and loose. So I simply got my hands used to using the pole by using just one pole and swapping hands from time to time.

Dr. Professor
11-26-2013, 13:36
I would think that bicycle gloves would offer some padding & absorption with treking poles during the hot sweaty months.

Some people use mechanic's gloves.

Pedaling Fool
11-26-2013, 14:39

That is probably the time when you don't want to wear gloves. My cycling gloves get pretty nasty in the summer months and you don't sweat nearly as much as when hiking, thanks to airflow. I can only imagine how wrinkly your hands would get underneath the gloves. It would just be one more thing to stink and needing to be cleaned. Your hands will toughen up.

Another Kevin
11-26-2013, 15:31
Two words: Cork grips.

Del Q
11-26-2013, 20:30
TREK, semi-legendary AT Thru Hiker who has ALL of my respect (not easy to earn), wears biking gloves. Works well for me.

SUCCESS LEAVES CLUES

The UPS and downs take extra effort = blisters.

trek is correct on this one

Oslohiker
11-26-2013, 21:36

I use cross-country ski gloves. They come in summer versions too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mS6pMm6_dU

Marta
11-26-2013, 21:58
That's what I use. It helps quite a bit and also prevents sunburn on the top of my hands.

Ditto. I prefer not to wear sunscreen, and cover myself with clothing instead.

Maui Rhino
11-27-2013, 04:27
I'm a dedicated glove user. Biking gloves are nice for the Terry cloth wipe on the back of the thumb. Usually, I prefer thin, unpadded gloves for general use. I always cut the fingers off, if they are full fingered, and heat/sweat doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

urbansix
11-27-2013, 08:55
Ditto. I use one cycling glove on my pole-hand. I would get annoying rubs and blisters from the seams on the strap, or a seam on the grip itself. A glove was cheaper than a fancier pole with a better grip, for me. Lost said glove last hike out, though. Left it in a privy, I think. :confused: