PDA

View Full Version : BACKPACK size issue: for example- will be carrying 45lbs--am I missing conversion...

LoufromFWB
11-26-2013, 14:13
Ok, I know this sounds like a simple enough thing and certainly a nubee question---but if I'm asking it I'm sure there are others too (at least I hope so--lol) that have pondered it once or twice, at least in the beginning of their hiking lifestyle--- So why the heck are we told to weigh everything only to find out the stores do not go by that, but by liters and cc's!--ughhh----Is there a conversion somewhere that I am missing?--:) -----I mean liters are a measure of volume, last time I checked, so again, why are we told to weigh all?!--I'm sure I am missing something simple so please chime in for those 'confused' souls like myself. :eek:

dzierzak
11-26-2013, 14:28
Nope - no comparison of weight and volume. Packs are measured in volume. Pain is measured in weight...

45 pounds of what?

Probably the best way to get the right pack is to take all your gear to the store and see what pack fits it all. Of course, the lighter stuff is, the smaller/lighter the pack can be.

Weighing everything helps keep the excess "stuff" you may want to carry down.

Also, posting a gear list can help point out what you may want to leave behind. Just be prepared with your flame-retardant suit. :rolleyes:

1azarus
11-26-2013, 14:34
hello! packs are designed for a range of carrying capacity -- so you want to make sure your pack is right for the weight as well as the volume of your stuff. for example, frameless packs are generally only recommended up to about 20 pounds of carrying -- beyond that, they just aren't comfortable... and the more sophisticated packs, typically with internal frames, and which tend to weigh more, often carry heavier loads more easily.

i'll confess -- those pack volume numbers are pretty meaningless to me, too... others have suggested you just take your pile of camping stuff with you to the store and see how well it fits! you'll find out pretty fast how big a pack you need -- and the experience of carrying your actual load around the store will convince you that you like (or don't) like the pack. might even convince you to get a different sleeping bag or tent -- who knows!

yaduck9
11-26-2013, 14:38
Ok, I know this sounds like a simple enough thing and certainly a nubee question---but if I'm asking it I'm sure there are others too (at least I hope so--lol) that have pondered it once or twice, at least in the beginning of their hiking lifestyle--- So why the heck are we told to weigh everything only to find out the stores do not go by that, but by liters and cc's!--ughhh----Is there a conversion somewhere that I am missing?--:) -----I mean liters are a measure of volume, last time I checked, so again, why are we told to weigh all?!--I'm sure I am missing something simple so please chime in for those 'confused' souls like myself. :eek:

Well, I read your question, and I am confused. What is your goal? To carry 45 lbs in the least amount of volume? Or to carry the necessary items in the least amount of weight?

And what specifically are you asking about? Backpacks? Water bottles?

And you want an explanation as to why a retail store provides the information you don't need? Welcome to the world of the market economy....

A good start is an inexpensive digital scale ( 15 bucks ) and a spreadsheet program. Plus a relatively thick skin is recommended when you post it ;)

LoufromFWB
11-26-2013, 15:10
Thanks to all for the info. For me the key thing was the inability to find a store that had maximum weight capacities for whatever pack I was looking at. Online though I have found exactly that (one store). What I have found is that not all packs of a certain size in volume, such as an 85L, have similar maximum weight capacities. One brand or design in 85L may have a 60lb limit, while another may have a 70lb limit. So it seems to me that such a stat should always be available, which as I said is not always the case.
Let me add this for anyone to answer (again, simply as an advocate for "Hiking for Dummies"--lol): (Barring taking everything to the store) You lay out everything, weigh it, then what exactly? Without that 'stat' how does a 'nubee' determine the next step, pack size?---This is really what I'm getting at with this thread. In other words, is it possible to determine this without someone else giving you their 'experience' in determining size? I mean, ask the 'knowledgeable' clerk, or the 'knowledgeable' hiker, or "take to the store" seem to be the prevailing suggestions---but without this stat one has to simply guess, or hope, that a certain volume size will hold the gear weight! Again, it just seems that this stat should always be given. [I have not checked all online stores or all other stores available to me so it may or may not be something they 'advertise.'] But certainly a cursory look online and the local store I went to seem to lack this specific stat. What I got was, "yeah, this size pack should be able to hold that much weight." Not too convincing for me.---MY PERSONAL BELIEF: BEST TO ASK THE MANUFACTURER IF IT IS NOT ADVERTISED.

Namtrag
11-26-2013, 15:13
Osprey backpacks have that information listed for each pack they sell...more in a weight range graph showing the comfortable range, and the upper limit for each pack.

Here is my pack, and if you look near the top, there is a weight range chart

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/volt_60?tab=specifications

I am not sure how you figure out if your stuff will fit in a certain size pack without packing it to see. You can have a high volume of low weight gear and not be able to pack it in a 60 L pack, or you can have a low volume of high weight gear and be able to pack it in a 40 liter pack.

LoufromFWB
11-26-2013, 15:26
OK YaDuck9---since there seems to be some confusion here's a little more, but first 'thick skin' I have since this is simply to enlighten those who experience similar issues (specifically beginners), so feel free, though fruitless commentary does no one good.:rolleyes: Anyway, let's say I laid out all my gear that's going into a backpack yet to be purchased (assume for argument sake that it is needed gear), weighed it all and came up with 45lbs., or 65lbs, whatever the case may be, I therefore need a pack that can carry that much weight, correct? --I guess what I'm trying to emphasize now (especially after reading commentary and checking online stores) is the necessity, at least for me, to know that weight capacity stat. I'm sure you experienced hikers may balk at this, but as I said initially it may indeed be silly to some, but not to all. Thanks for the advice---have the scales, spreadsheets, etc. Like I state in previous post once I figure the packs I'm interested and if I can't find that stat I'll just call it in to find out---simple enough. THANKS ALL!!

Namtrag
11-26-2013, 15:32
Just a caveat, just because it says the weight limit is 45lbs, doesn't mean it will be comfortable on your back. Nothing beats trying the pack on under full load. I made the mistake of just buying a pack without going and loading it down, and it took a long time to get it adjusted to feel good on my back.

Mobius
11-26-2013, 16:04
Anyway, let's say I laid out all my gear that's going into a backpack yet to be purchased (assume for argument sake that it is needed gear), weighed it all and came up with 45lbs., or 65lbs, whatever the case may be, I therefore need a pack that can carry that much weight, correct?

Since manufacturers tend to deal with volume as the primary (b/c it's measurable and objective) and weight capacity as the secondary (b/c it's subjective) maybe you can take all your stuff and cram it into a box (or boxes) and do some math to figure out the volume of your gear. You can then use that to narrow down to packs and confirm weights.

yaduck9
11-26-2013, 16:46
OK YaDuck9---since there seems to be some confusion here's a little more, but first 'thick skin' I have since this is simply to enlighten those who experience similar issues (specifically beginners), so feel free, though fruitless commentary does no one good.:rolleyes: Anyway, let's say I laid out all my gear that's going into a backpack yet to be purchased (assume for argument sake that it is needed gear), weighed it all and came up with 45lbs., or 65lbs, whatever the case may be, I therefore need a pack that can carry that much weight, correct? --I guess what I'm trying to emphasize now (especially after reading commentary and checking online stores) is the necessity, at least for me, to know that weight capacity stat. I'm sure you experienced hikers may balk at this, but as I said initially it may indeed be silly to some, but not to all. Thanks for the advice---have the scales, spreadsheets, etc. Like I state in previous post once I figure the packs I'm interested and if I can't find that stat I'll just call it in to find out---simple enough. THANKS ALL!!

After reading your reply an re reading your initial question, I can only claim temporary insanity. I somehow skimmed over the subject line where you clearly stated "backpack".

My apologies.

I will find an appropriate shoe and chew on it for a few minutes.......

LoufromFWB
11-26-2013, 16:54
since manufacturers tend to deal with volume as the primary (b/c it's measurable and objective) and weight capacity as the secondary (b/c it's subjective) maybe you can take all your stuff and cram it into a box (or boxes) and do some math to figure out the volume of your gear. You can then use that to narrow down to packs and confirm weights.

now that's a great idea!!

Slo-go'en
11-26-2013, 17:31
I belive most pack manufactures do specify a weight range for thier packs. How much weight a given pack can handle depends on a couple of things.

One is the matterial the pack is made of. A pack made of a thin, light weight matterial isn't going to stand up to as much wieght as a pack of the same volume made of a sturdier fabric.

Second is the suspension system. A pack with a very simple suspension and hip belt system isn't going to carry as heavy a load as a pack with a more elaborate system. However, the more complicated the suspension system is, the harder it is to get it adjusted properly so it works the way it's suppost to. It can take some fiddling to get it where it's optimal for your body and the load.

A sturdier pack with a elaborate suspension will weigh more, but it can carry more. If your going on an extended treck into the wilderness in a 3d word country, you might need such a pack, but on the AT, smaller and lighter is the norm.

So, when picking a pack, you need to know two things. How much volume everything you want to carry takes up and how much it all weighs. Or you can pick a pack and then pick gear which will fit and doesn't overload it.

It's usually easier to pick a pack to carry what you got then to pick gear which will fit the pack. Unless you want to go ultra light, then pick a small pack and figure out how to fit the minimum of what you need to carry in it. A small pack will help eliminate the "just in case" and "spare" items which you might be tempted to carry if you had a bigger pack.

Another consideration is you don't want a pack which is under sized or over sized. If it's too small you'll end up hanging stuff off the outside which is a pain as it can unbalance the load, swing around, catch on branches and bushes and in general, be a pain. If it's too big, the weight won't be distributed very well, with everything down at the bottom of the pack.

That's why it is good advice to take your gear to the store and see what packs it all fits into. But a good rule of thumb for an AT thru hike is to shoot for a 60 to 65 L pack and a max load of 30 pounds, with food and water, so gear should weigh less then 20 pounds.

RCBear
11-26-2013, 21:53
Get a 5.5 lb 65L Baltoro and be done with it. The extra 2 lbs or so in pack weight will make your actual content weight feel much less than that 2 lbs. Plus its extremely comfortable and durable.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Toon
11-26-2013, 23:32
Put your gear list online first let us tell you what not to bring. If you plan on a 45lb base weight. Your gonna have a bad time. Weighing items is just to see what you can cut back on. " do I really need a huge 2lb light?"

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

illabelle
11-26-2013, 23:53
45 pounds of rocks will fit in a small pack.
45 pounds of goose down will not fit in a large pack.

45 pounds is more than most people carry, so get ready to hear about all the stuff you're doing wrong from the ones who care about such things. It's okay, they're friendly, and they're right, so it's good to listen.

Sometimes people recommend taking all your stuff to the store and see how it fits in their packs. I have to admit that confuses me a little bit. Are they really recommending that I haul all my food, my socks, my water bottle, my maps, my head lamp, etc, make a pile in the floor near the backpack display and start experimenting? Seems like the store wouldn't appreciate it, not to mention it's a lot of trouble. As an alternative, I'd recommend borrowing a pack and see how your stuff fits in it. Or explain your situation in the store, tell them you want to buy 2 or 3 packs, try them out at home, and bring them back for a refund if they don't suit you.

birchy
11-27-2013, 07:34
One rule of thumb that I have found to work is this. What ever the designated "liter" size of the pack you can comfortably carry half that number in "Lbs". I have a kelty redcloud 90 L. I generally carry around 36 lbs. Anything over 45 lbs is just too uncomfortable. My mother has a 60 L pack and comfortably carries 30 lbs.

RCBear
11-27-2013, 07:41
One rule of thumb that I have found to work is this. What ever the designated "liter" size of the pack you can comfortably carry half that number in "Lbs". I have a kelty redcloud 90 L. I generally carry around 36 lbs. Anything over 45 lbs is just too uncomfortable. My mother has a 60 L pack and comfortably carries 30 lbs.

That Kelty Redcloud 90L is one hell of well designed, good looking, durable pack at a great price. If they made the identical in a 60-65 lb version, I wouldn't have paid what i did for the Gregory Baltoro 65.

perdidochas
11-27-2013, 11:59
45 pounds of rocks will fit in a small pack.
45 pounds of goose down will not fit in a large pack.

45 pounds is more than most people carry, so get ready to hear about all the stuff you're doing wrong from the ones who care about such things. It's okay, they're friendly, and they're right, so it's good to listen.

Sometimes people recommend taking all your stuff to the store and see how it fits in their packs. I have to admit that confuses me a little bit. Are they really recommending that I haul all my food, my socks, my water bottle, my maps, my head lamp, etc, make a pile in the floor near the backpack display and start experimenting? Seems like the store wouldn't appreciate it, not to mention it's a lot of trouble. As an alternative, I'd recommend borrowing a pack and see how your stuff fits in it. Or explain your situation in the store, tell them you want to buy 2 or 3 packs, try them out at home, and bring them back for a refund if they don't suit you.

If you're going to a true outdoor store, not a big box, they shouldn't have any problem with you bringing in your stuff to test the pack. I bet they would prefer that to the return scenario.

Malto
11-27-2013, 12:34
Apples and oranges.

volume is volume and weight is weight. There is little correlation between the two. Take your gear PLUS your expected food volume and place in a box. What's the volume? Second, weigh that gear and food. The heavier it is the beefier the pack, for example suspension. There is a world of difference between the needs of a 20lb pack and a 50lb capable pack.

Stinkbug
11-27-2013, 14:17
+1 That makes too much sense.... I will keep that in mind!

Stinkbug
11-27-2013, 14:21

Let me try again, This is very useful information. I wish I knew this when I was carrying 45 lbs in an Osprey Kelrel 58 from Springer to Unicoi this Summer.

Teacher & Snacktime
11-27-2013, 23:17
My mother has a 60 L pack and comfortably carries 30 lbs.

We met you and your mom just outside of the Birch Run shelter. I can't believe she can handle 30lbs....she's so tiny!
(I'm uncomfortable with anything over 25lbs)

JAK
11-28-2013, 07:04
Take into account both weight and volume.

Manufacturers like big heavy packs because they can sell them for more money and sell more stuff to go in them.
Hikers like smaller lighter packs because they are the ones that have to carry them and buy stuff to go in them.
You decide.

bigcranky
12-01-2013, 09:58
Lou,

Do you have the other gear yet? From what you've written, it sounds like you might not. If this is for a thru-hike of the AT, then you'll find that the gear tends to be more specialized. Mostly not available at big-box sporting goods stores, and even specialty outdoor shops often don't have a wide selection. You can get a good starting list at this link (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4), and if you really want to get the right stuff from the outset, a visit to the shop (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/default.asp) is worthwhile. Not too far a drive from Florida, and it makes a nice long weekend with some hiking thrown in for good measure. (Climb Blood Mountain from the shop as a morning hike for a peek at what the AT holds in store.)

Good luck.

Theosus
12-01-2013, 20:50
Get a 5.5 lb 65L Baltoro and be done with it. The extra 2 lbs or so in pack weight will make your actual content weight feel much less than that 2 lbs. Plus its extremely comfortable and durable.

My deuter weighs 6 pounds. I hear people go on about "my pack weighs two pounds" or "my pack weighs 3.257 pounds". I tried on several packs, and just like how mine feels. It has lots of padding and wears really nice. I'll go with a heavier pack that feels good compared to a light pack that hurts.